• I mostly buy punchy "statement" shoes

• I mostly buy outfit-complementary shoes

• Neither - I have a totally different approach :D

Results are only viewable after voting.

lvpiggy

feels like pigsomnia
O.G.
Jan 24, 2008
How do you approach your collection of luxe shoes? Do you prefer a low-key outfit with a punchy "statement" shoe, or do you see your shoes as a complement for the rest of your outfit?

And given your response, what are your fave brands? Do you associate some brands more with statement shoes and others more with "outfit-matching" shoes?

Curious to hear your thoughts!! :thinking:

Personally I tend to buy punchy "statement" shoes.... many of my clothes are in neutral colours and fairly classic styles, so I use my shoes and other accessories to add a bit of flair (^(oo)^)v

And, of course, I have a *minor* Loubie obsession.....although my collection also includes Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, and Dior. I love the look of Jimmy Choo but they don't work for my feet :rain:

I am a mix of the two! Some outfits, mostly going out outfits revolve around my shoes, I decide what shoes to wear then pick my outfits, (that's how I shop for clothes, to go with my shoes!!!), then for everyday work life, I have neutral shoes that can be worn with everything.

How do you approach your collection of luxe shoes? Do you prefer a low-key outfit with a punchy "statement" shoe, or do you see your shoes as a complement for the rest of your outfit?

And given your response, what are your fave brands? Do you associate some brands more with statement shoes and others more with "outfit-matching" shoes?

Curious to hear your thoughts!! :thinking:

Hum, I think I have to declare I often find the shoes/boots first and build outfits around them, although sometimes try to do the reverse.

Brands: well currently Casadei, Pucci and Manolo with a very light occasional sprinkling of Louboutin,

Interesting question. While I have the basics covered, I greatly admire (but don't have) subtle interpretations of the classics, such as the silver tipped black pumps from Choo, or the single stud on the back of Valentino pumps. As for statement shoes, I have silver YSL Tributes and cage booties from Manolo and Tabitha Simmons. Other brands that work for me are Prada, Gucci, and quite a few Stuart Weitzman for both shoes and tall boots. Sometimes when I see a luxury classic at a less punitive price on sale, I'll pick it up just to have a small stockpile of backups. Today I scored a pair of 4" Prada pumps from Barney's online.

Hello beautiful piggy, I haven't 'seen' you around for ages :kiss:

I voted the third option

I used to buy amazing, statement shoes, many 'crazy' Pradas, Miu Mius, Dolces, Westwoods, Terry de Havillands and United Nude etc, I do wear them but there's only so far I can walk in the rain and snow in Westwood Clenched Toe mules or 6" Mui Mui multi-colour python platforms

I noticed which boots and shoes I actually WEAR, and it's more lace-ups, military, moto and riding boots, ankle books, clogs etc and now I spend more money on those rather than skimping and saving for show-stoppers. Nothing too lady like or conservative, more robust. I love my Hermes and Gucci boots, Gucci lace-ups (one pair in hand dyed ostrich :love:) and loafers and of course DMs (cheap in comparison). One pair of great clogs and perhaps sandals is all I need for the Summer. They must be TOUGH, like me :biggrin:

In these last few years, I am buying less but more classic pieces, and this applied to shoes too.
This way I can pair my shoes with many outfits, as they're not too edgy.
My personal preference goes to Jimmy Choo as they're very comfortable for my feet, and YSL (the Tribute are my edgy shoes).

Personally I tend to buy punchy "statement" shoes.... many of my clothes are in neutral colours and fairly classic styles, so I use my shoes and other accessories to add a bit of flair (^(oo)^)v

And, of course, I have a *minor* Loubie obsession.....although my collection also includes Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, and Dior. I love the look of Jimmy Choo but they don't work for my feet :rain:

LVPIGGY! So good to see you on the boards! Your advice with Pigalle 120s has been invaluable, so thank you! :woohoo: (And I credit you with making Dorepi azulejos one of my UHGs).

As for the shoes, I tend to wear a lot of black and grey tops, skirts and dresses, and dark skinny jeans, so I use my shoes and jewelry as statement pieces. I'm a real magpie, so I love metallics and sparkle. I'm also a sucker for interesting, architectural designs (United Nude do some really cool shoes that I find super comfortable), but the majority of my shoes are classic shapes (with the Pigalle 120 remaining my ideal, archetypal stiletto shape) that vary in height and colour. I've only been able to afford designer shoes in the past year or so, so the majority so far are CLs, with a sprinkling of Cesare Paciotti, McQueen and Choo. I don't buy many, but I try and make them count as *awesome* .

I'm really into clothing so I always compliment my shoes/bags with the whole outfit.

That said, it's fun to sometimes really make the shoe stand out. If it's something really unique and out there (open toe, tie up, bright gold Giuseppe Zanotti booties for example) then I usually try to let the shoes stand out. Otherwise, I love complimenting shoes & clothes.

Hello beautiful piggy, I haven't 'seen' you around for ages :kiss:

I voted the third option

I used to buy amazing, statement shoes, many 'crazy' Pradas, Miu Mius, Dolces, Westwoods, Terry de Havillands and United Nude etc, I do wear them but there's only so far I can walk in the rain and snow in Westwood Clenched Toe mules or 6" Mui Mui multi-colour python platforms

I noticed which boots and shoes I actually WEAR, and it's more lace-ups, military, moto and riding boots, ankle books, clogs etc and now I spend more money on those rather than skimping and saving for show-stoppers. Nothing too lady like or conservative, more robust. I love my Hermes and Gucci boots, Gucci lace-ups (one pair in hand dyed ostrich :love:) and loafers and of course DMs (cheap in comparison). One pair of great clogs and perhaps sandals is all I need for the Summer. They must be TOUGH, like me :biggrin:

Hello, papertiger! (^(oo)^)/"

I hope I shall be around these parts more often now that I'm finishing up my first year of the MBA :wlae:

Very interesting response.....I just got my first pair of Hermès boots and I love them as well! As you mentioned they are amazing for daily wear!

LVPIGGY! So good to see you on the boards! Your advice with Pigalle 120s has been invaluable, so thank you! :woohoo: (And I credit you with making Dorepi azulejos one of my UHGs).

As for the shoes, I tend to wear a lot of black and grey tops, skirts and dresses, and dark skinny jeans, so I use my shoes and jewelry as statement pieces. I'm a real magpie, so I love metallics and sparkle. I'm also a sucker for interesting, architectural designs (United Nude do some really cool shoes that I find super comfortable), but the majority of my shoes are classic shapes (with the Pigalle 120 remaining my ideal, archetypal stiletto shape) that vary in height and colour. I've only been able to afford designer shoes in the past year or so, so the majority so far are CLs, with a sprinkling of Cesare Paciotti, McQueen and Choo. I don't buy many, but I try and make them count as *awesome* .

I'm so glad that you found the pigalle 120 thread helpful!! (^(oo)^)v

still wearing the dorepi azulejos on a regular basis, they were absolutely a great buy (^(oo)~)

I love interesting architectural designs too...although CL doesn't do much of those so I've had to look more to outside brands like Balenciaga and BV for those styles ...

I tend to buy a shoe to go with an outfit. I try to find a shoe that I think will work well in future situations at the same time.

And since I am so hard on my shoes its hard to spend the money. So its usually special occasion shoes. I have just started investing in what i would consider classic shoes. Stuart Weitzman logoplainfields in patent nude, kate spade tock flats, a pair of tory burch carolines. Nothing crazy for me!