What kind of jackets/cover ups do you wear with dresses?

Jul 14, 2008
For me...

casual dresses (like day dresses): khaki-type jackets or cardigans
very formal floor-length type dresses: complementing wrap
work-appropriate dresses (like wrap dresses, or shift dresses): knee length wool coat

but I'm confused about what to wear with things like herve leger bandage dresses or sexy little black dresses or chiffon-type cocktail dresses. the type of dresses you'd wear for a night out or wedding. all the options I listed above just don't seem to match. it might be cold outside, i need a jacket.

meowmeow

bags & shoes addict + wanderluster
O.G.
Mar 31, 2006
The Six
For me...

but I'm confused about what to wear with things like herve leger bandage dresses
You beat me to starting this thread! I have the exact same question! I have a black Herve Leger dress which I want to wear to this wedding in a couple of weeks, but want some cover up... if someone can post pictures of cover-ups with thier HL, that would be great!

THANKS!!

Feb 2, 2006
I usually wear a cropped/fitted black blazer, or a shrug/bolero in a knit fabric. I do like the idea of wearing a leather jacket over a dress -- will have to try that one out since I just got a new SWORD jacket. :smile:

Another option is to try a hand-crocheted shrug or cardie. I've purchased from ileaiye, a designer on Etsy. She does BEAUTIFUL, spider web-like, light-as-air shrugs. A very unique and one-of-a-kind look. She's in the UK and can knit her creations in just one day -- and of course, to your exact measurements. Check out these shrugs and cardies: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5329707&section_id=5299901

Lec8504

O.G.
Nov 10, 2006
Bay Area
well if it's night time and going out (dancing and stuff) then I would wear a nice cardigan with my HLs...it tones it down a little...which is a good thing imo. I just need some cover up...the cardigans are not meant to be warm since i usually won't be outside that much anyways. It's always car then straight inside restaurant/club.

iono about the leather jacket suggestion for HL. Maybe for a plain black HL that isn't too eye popping. But that wouldn't work for me since all of my HLs are either really bright/low cut/short/etc...so it would just clash too much lol.

Lec8504

O.G.
Nov 10, 2006
Bay Area
well a plain black or plain colored HL then it's ok. But for the other HLs that are really "bright" (like hot pink or showing a lot of cleavage/legs) on their own..mix that with a leather jacket...looks to be too much..at least to me.

meowmeow

bags & shoes addict + wanderluster
O.G.
Mar 31, 2006
The Six
Angelastoel > love your whole outfit!

I have a white leather jacket at home... I will try it out tonight when I get home!

would love to see more modelling pictures from you girls ;)

aliwishesbear

Feb 24, 2008
another vote for leather jackets! when I went to vegas in March I wore my SWORD lucca everywhere with my little bebe dresses.