Books & Music What Killed The Record Store?

What Killed The Record Store?

Being able to buy records in bookstores and general electronics stores.

I don't think digital downloads and internet streaming are the only things that killed it, although they also have their part. I read an article not too long ago that said a little under half of music sales are still CDs. The implication is that consumers don't always jump onto new technology as fast as we once thought.

To quote the famous lyrics, "Video killed the radio star" would be applicable here: Music videos on MTV in the early 80s I believe killed the radio era, and new technological advances such as the beast called Download killed the physical record album.

... The Internet killed the music industry basically; talent does not matter as much marketing and having the "look" and exposure.

Wanted to add to this, as it's too late to edit: We need a new song for the current and coming generations who will probably never see tapes and records except in antique stores!

What Killed The Record Store?

Not offering the option of buying MP3s when the technology came out killed it. Instead, they vilified it and came across as greedy (perception lumped them into the same pool as record company executives). They shoud have instead looked into developing their store format - not only would you offer CDs, MP3s, but also give people another reason to come into your record store with things. Maybe a section where people could sample music on different MP3 players (and sell them), expand into videos and their players, serve coffee :~)…something. Most record stores I knew off did nothing.

Same thing will happen to USPS. Instead of responding to market changes, they did nothing.

My locally owned bookstore offered online books soon after Kindles/Nooks became popular (among other things such as a eReader accessories, a coffee shop, live book readings, etc. Their business hasn't slowed down at all - in fact, they are expanding. lol I think they've done a good job of embracing change.

For a business to stay relevant they have to embrace change. I worked at Fedex for 22 yrs and they were always looking for ways to expand their market. It's why they are successful. Some things more successful than others, but you have to or be left by the wayside when another company comes along.

Computers and internet. But I wouldn't say it's been killed. It's just different. I still love to browse through record stores, esp for old stuff on vinyl. My bf's a huge vinyl fan and I've taken a liking to it as well.

For a business to stay relevant they have to embrace change. I worked at Fedex for 22 yrs and they were always looking for ways to expand their market. It's why they are successful. Some things more successful than others, but you have to or be left by the wayside when another company comes along.

I agree - this is why Borders shut down, because they didn't sell ereaders just like B&N and other bookstores did.

There was a time when I could catch the bus to Liverpool (NW England, UK) and find record shops selling high-quality CDs at ridiculously low prices. Most of them didn't sell well.

Music shops should have done more to educate their customers about these high-quality recordings.