What jewelry to wear in NYC?

katie09

O.G.
Apr 7, 2009
I'm traveling overseas to NYC and am wondering what jewelry to bring.

By US-standard my everyday-pieces are small:
wg diamond-studs of 0.50 ctw
wg solitaire-diamond ring of 0,70 ct
wg eternity ring with 4x0,10 ct
wg eternity ring with 3x0,20 ct.
I also wear a Cartier Tank Francaise or a Panthere watch.

Would you be comfortable wearing this as a tourist in NYC or would you leave it all or parts of it at home?

I'm thinking about leaving the solitaire at home and perhaps wear a cheaper watch?
Am I overreacting?

I live in NYC city and I wear my jewelry every day. As Monica said, don't leave it in the hotel room (unless it's in the safe), but otherwise it's just like any big city.

I wear jewlery all the time in NYC on the subway, bus etc. and never had any issues. But there are pickpockets on the subway and in touristy areas, so be careful to ensure your bag is zipped and your wallet is secure.

Is there a risk to put sth valuable in the safe located in the hotel room ? Can anyone open it without the code ?

Unless I'm staying at a really nice hotel, I don't put valuables in the safe. There are always hotel employees who can open the safety box without needing the code - think about all those guests who forget their codes. Somebody has to open it for them, KWIM?

Don't worry, NYC is very safe.
Speaking of safes, don't leave anything in there. Bring whatever jewelry you will wear for every day, and if you want something big and sparkly for dinner or the theatre, make it inexpensive costume jewelry that you can leave in your suitcase when you are out.

if you want something big and sparkly for dinner or the theatre, make it inexpensive costume jewelry that you can leave in your suitcase when you are out.

that's exactly what I do.. I have my stash of fun "junk" jewelry.. I just don't travel with anything that I would be heartbroken over if it got lost or stolen.

Unless I'm staying at a really nice hotel, I don't put valuables in the safe. There are always hotel employees who can open the safety box without needing the code - think about all those guests who forget their codes. Somebody has to open it for them, KWIM?

I'll say at the Novotel, I thought I could put the ering in the safe for 1 day till I propose my girlfriend. I guess I'll have to keep it on me everytime... Hope she wont notice.

I wear jewlery all the time in NYC on the subway, bus etc. and never had any issues. But there are pickpockets on the subway and in touristy areas, so be careful to ensure your bag is zipped and your wallet is secure.

yup, this is true.

when i was a student in NYC and working in retail (right across from bloomingdales), tourists would go up to the register to pay for their items, only to find their wallet missing from their bags. these experts would go up to their bags while they're on their person and slit the bottom of them.

i was amazed.

so if anything, be careful about your handbag, backpack, etc.

as far as jewelry goes, my aunt wears a honking 7 carat diamond ring everyday when she's in the city (had dinner with her in the village in may). as a precaution, i hope your jewelry is insured anyway.

Wear the jewelry that makes you happy and comfortable. If you plan to ride the public transportation, turn your rings around. That's what I did, but most days we took a taxi. Enjoy your trip!