What jewelry superstitions do you believe?

AnnaLou

Nov 14, 2022
Hi! Just curious what jewelry superstitions people believe? Or maybe not quite believe, but are kind of too afraid to not follow.

I'm not a superstitious person, but it's funny how even though you KNOW something is stupid to believe, and you don't really believe it, there's still a little piece of your brain that's cowering in the corner warning you to be careful.

My irrational superstition is with pearls. I've always heard that they are bad luck because they represent the sorrow of the animal that created the pearl from having an irritant in its body. I looked online to see if anyone else says this and found a ton of conflicting information. I read that different people say pearls are bad luck in different situations:
a. If you buy the pearls yourself.
b. If someone else buys the pearls for you.
c. If you receive or wear pearls on your wedding day.
d. If your spouse gives you pearls (at any time).
e. Pearls are bad luck period.

Opals also have a lot of "bad vibes" associated with them, but I read online that the diamond industry started the rumor that opals were bad luck because opal mines were cutting into their profits. I have no idea if that's true.

Another one is that it is bad luck to use a wedding ring or gem that was previously used in a marriage that failed. I've also heard that the gem itself is fine, but you have to reset it in a different ring to banish the bad juju.

I've heard that malachite can hold onto negativity and bring out your bad side, but that's different than a superstition, as that's starting to get into crystal magic belief, which is different from the superstitions I'm asking about here.

What do you all think about different superstitions? Do you think pearls are bad luck? What other superstitions do you know about related to jewelry?

Thanks!

Hi! Just curious what jewelry superstitions people believe? Or maybe not quite believe, but are kind of too afraid to not follow.

I'm not a superstitious person, but it's funny how even though you KNOW something is stupid to believe, and you don't really believe it, there's still a little piece of your brain that's cowering in the corner warning you to be careful.

My irrational superstition is with pearls. I've always heard that they are bad luck because they represent the sorrow of the animal that created the pearl from having an irritant in its body. I looked online to see if anyone else says this and found a ton of conflicting information. I read that different people say pearls are bad luck in different situations:
a. If you buy the pearls yourself.
b. If someone else buys the pearls for you.
c. If you receive or wear pearls on your wedding day.
d. If your spouse gives you pearls (at any time).
e. Pearls are bad luck period.

Opals also have a lot of "bad vibes" associated with them, but I read online that the diamond industry started the rumor that opals were bad luck because opal mines were cutting into their profits. I have no idea if that's true.

Another one is that it is bad luck to use a wedding ring or gem that was previously used in a marriage that failed. I've also heard that the gem itself is fine, but you have to reset it in a different ring to banish the bad juju.

I've heard that malachite can hold onto negativity and bring out your bad side, but that's different than a superstition, as that's starting to get into crystal magic belief, which is different from the superstitions I'm asking about here.

What do you all think about different superstitions? Do you think pearls are bad luck? What other superstitions do you know about related to jewelry?

Thanks!

I'll wear anything I want at anytime but I don't often wear gems, crustaceans or stones on a daily basis. However, I'm wearing a single ruby stud in one ear and a white pearl in other today so sometimes I do. I'll wear whatever rings on whichever hand and fingers too. No rules.

I wear my mothers' pearls ar just pearls to remind me of her. All my pearls came from her anyway, I've never bought any.

Pearls were considered unlucky for anyone that wasn't born in June/under the sign of Cancer (crab) - like my mother, because they were supposedly tears (and many natural drop pearls look tear-shape).

For brides, they have been considered 'future tears' if worn, but also lucky (the pearls cry for you to save you from tears).

Actually, I think the superstition came from the hazardous collection of sea, lake or river pearls. many divers (Pearlers) died or went blind due to the depths they had to go to (decompression sickness) even if they did not outrightly drown.

Opals are considered apparently unlucky for anyone who's not an October baby. This is really because opals are a generally softer stone (4.5-6.5) and after sliced into doublets and triplets to let the light through. Peridots and emeralds are often considered unlucky for the same reason.

Having any stone that doesn't match your birthstone is supposed to not so great. In ME, India and Pakistan there is a whole thing of a person matching their stone to the right vibration (I'm not an expert). Black and opaque stones are hard to wear, but diamonds suit everyone (just as well, ha ha). So it isn't this or that stone is unlucky, but some stones are unlucky for most and very few are lucky (for most).

In my religion, we are supposed to be completely non-superstitious and not wear any good luck charms, amulets at all, but in reality in my culture, it's actually opposite. We often wear protection of a hand, something blue or an eye to ward off bad thoughts of others. I think that symbol goes far further back than the religion.

I notice in Italy, that the goddess Fortuna is sometimes worn around the neck, sometimes just her cornucopia. This is about trusting in fate (she's blind-folded) and believe (in what - not sure) and fortune will come (cornucopia). I was given a most beautiful 18K example by an Italian friend, passed down in her family (she only wears white metal(s)). I wear it more because I adore my friend and to remind myself to be more generous towards others - not really for the Fortuna meaning.

In some cultures, as a woman, wearing any jewellery that want given/bought for you is a :nono: I have been given plenty, but I have to buy my own mostly, which is unlucky in itself :biggrin:.

You reminded me of another superstition that I've always heard although it isn't related to jewelry. I had always heard that you should not buy your own tarot cards or that you should not buy your own first deck. The "right" deck was supposed to "come to you." Judging from the extreme popularity of tarot decks, I think that superstition has been completely abandoned.

For jewelry, it is mightily inconvenient to be superstitious about receiving gifts of it, particularly if you expect to inherit any. I wonder if that particular superstition makes a distinction between receiving as a gift vs receiving as inheritance.

The pearls superstition seems to be like the one about rain on the wedding day. Some say it's good luck because all the "tears" (the rain) are being shed beforehand, but others say it's a bad omen. Depends on who you talk to.

Reactions: limom
Kind of a superstition but more of a custom.

In many Asian cultures, including mine, it's thought to be good luck (or good fortune/blessing) to wear a lot of gold (for me mostly bracelets) on the wedding day.
So yes, I had heavy arms on my wedding day :lol: .

Wearing jade is considered to be good luck and protective as well.

If it is an unlucky year for your Chinese zodiac, you get a red bracelet on the Lunar New Year that you're supposed to wear everyday to ward off the bad luck. (doesn't have to be a bracelet, but something red that must always be on your person. bracelets are just more convenient [or red underwear haha])
Or you just get a red bracelet for good luck on the Lunar New Year. I always give my husband a new one every year.

You reminded me of another superstition that I've always heard although it isn't related to jewelry. I had always heard that you should not buy your own tarot cards or that you should not buy your own first deck. The "right" deck was supposed to "come to you." Judging from the extreme popularity of tarot decks, I think that superstition has been completely abandoned.

For jewelry, it is mightily inconvenient to be superstitious about receiving gifts of it, particularly if you expect to inherit any. I wonder if that particular superstition makes a distinction between receiving as a gift vs receiving as inheritance.

The pearls superstition seems to be like the one about rain on the wedding day. Some say it's good luck because all the "tears" (the rain) are being shed beforehand, but others say it's a bad omen. Depends on who you talk to.

That applies only to someone's first deck of cards, since someone must teach you how to use them properly, and only once you have learned and you are deemed worthy, then they will gift you a new pack of cards as a kind of 'graduation' present.

I know that unmarried women are not supposed to wear a ring on her ring finger where a wedding ring would normally be (it varies between place to play as to whether it's the ring finger left or right). I suppose the reason for that is simple: someone sees a ring already there, they can't tell you're unmarried and you missed your chance :biggrin:

Reactions: limom and AnnaLou
Not big on superstitions. I might think about trying to start some, though…just to see if I can.

Didn’t wear pearls during my first wedding (or at all during the marriage) - and it didn’t work. I did, however wear them during my second wedding and have continued to wear them almost daily through my second marriage. We have been going strong for MANY years with no signs of slowing down any time in the future.

Does this mean that disregarding the pearl superstition can be considered a pearl of wisdom? :biggrin:

This was an interesting read! The only superstition I had heard of before was that opals were supposedly bad luck if worn by people who were not born in October. I have worn them anyway as they are so beautiful!

I do wear my own birthstone fairly frequently ( January, garnet ) because I really like it!

Reactions: limom and AnnaLou
Not big on superstitions. I might think about trying to start some, though…just to see if I can.

Didn’t wear pearls during my first wedding (or at all during the marriage) - and it didn’t work. I did, however wear them during my second wedding and have continued to wear them almost daily through my second marriage. We have been going strong for MANY years with no signs of slowing down any time in the future.

Does this mean that disregarding the pearl superstition can be considered a pearl of wisdom? :biggrin:
I wasn't sure whether to select the laughing reaction or the love one! :lol::heart::biggrin:

• Love
Reactions: Joule