What I've discovered about the Speedy--kinda long

Iluvbags

The original Iluvbags
O.G.
Oct 18, 2005
So all this time I've really been a large bag gal. I used to own the speedy 35 many years ago and sold it after barely carrying it. I've owned the mono stephen, the sac shopping, damier cabas mezzo, and tons of other larger bags

I'm not a new LV collector, more old school if you will----But I find myself gravitating back to speedies for some reason.

Since I used to have a Mono Speedy 35 I figured that it would be the size I'd like again. I was worried about the sag but planned to buy a shaper/organizer to see how it looked.

But this weekend my sister wanted to carry one of my non-LV bags so I asked her to trade me her mono speedy 30 just for kicks. Kind of as leverage so she wouldnt keep my bag forever. LOL!!

Right now I am loving it! I am so suprised. She uses it a lot so its softer and slouchy but I absolutely love it. Its not too small either like I thought and slouchy but not saggy. And I think because its a tad bit smaller it might keep me from overloading and making it too heavy.

I have a multicolore speedy but it does not really compare apples to apples because of all the extra hardware that gives it a different feel

Ok fast forward to my questions----​
1. Is there a chance that I love her speedy 30 because its already broken in and "loved"
OR
2. Does the small size difference between the 30 and 35 really make that much difference

I just need to figure out why I'm loving hers so much. And trying to figure out if I will love the mono 35 just as much once its broken in..... or if it will sag a bit more sloppy looking than the 30
After carrying hers I'm thinking that I may not like the look of a boxy organizer inside. Maybe I'd get a base shaper at most

I'm so confused.

How do you guys compare your speedies when they were new, to how they are now after being used and broken in?

It is hard to tell. maybe your taste has changed? I don't have a base shaper in my 30 or 35. I don't mind it.

To me there is a definant size differance between the 2, and the 35 definantly sags more. And if I could only have 1 I would choose the 30. There is something so classic about it.

I would go to the store and try on a new speedy 30 to see if you like it as much as your sister's broken in one or not.

Keep us posted.

It is hard to tell. maybe your taste has changed? I don't have a base shaper in my 30 or 35. I don't mind it.

To me there is a definant size differance between the 2, and the 35 definantly sags more. And if I could only have 1 I would choose the 30. There is something so classic about it.

I would go to the store and try on a new speedy 30 to see if you like it as much as your sister's broken in one or not.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for replying! I know each person is different but about how long did it take to break in your speedies for the canvas to soften and slouch?

Yup I agree you have to try it in the store first. And I guess it's a matter of preference because I have the Damier Ebene and I like that it's not too slouchy. I also use a base shaper for mine.

Hey lluvbags,

I adore the speedy! I have tried a variety of premium (LV, Valentino, Balenciaga) and "not so premium" bags (Rebecca Minkoff, Coach, Michael by Michael Kors) and through my many buys I have finally come to the realization that out off all the bags I have (my husband would die if he found out the real number!), my absolute favorites are my 5 speedys. I have 3 bags in the 30 size (roses, graffiti and azure) and 2 in the 35 (watercolor and azure). I have decided that of the two sizes, the 35 is really my favorite. I was concerned with my first 35 (purchase number 3) that it was too much like luggage and I would soon tire of it being so big, but I really appreciate the extra room. Although everything I carry (and it's a lot that I like to carry) fits it the 30, it is a snug fit and that is what I dislike most about the 30. The 35 is only about 2 inches longer and maybe an inch or so wider, but it makes a huge difference with regard to ease of pulling things out and putting things back into your bag. I just switched out from my 35 azure into my 30 graffiti and (although I love her) I am dying to switch back to my comfy/cozy 35. I am hoping to get the 35 ebene before the year ends as well.

I dislike the potential for sag, so I place the items I carry "strategically" to balance out the purse. Each side is pretty equally weighted so I have yet to suffer through the sag factor. I think if you got the 35 and you wore it frequently you would find that sense of comfort you are now experiencing with your sister's 30. The difference in cost is negligible and since you do prefer larger bags, I would suggest you go with the 35 and just make it your "go to bag" so that it does become slouchy and loved. I hope you enjoy whichever bag you ultimately choose :smile:

Yup I agree you have to try it in the store first. And I guess it's a matter of preference because I have the Damier Ebene and I like that it's not too slouchy. I also use a base shaper for mine.

Youre right I will go to the store and try on both again in mono.

Hey lluvbags,

I adore the speedy! I have tried a variety of premium (LV, Valentino, Balenciaga) and "not so premium" bags (Rebecca Minkoff, Coach, Michael by Michael Kors) and through my many buys I have finally come to the realization that out off all the bags I have (my husband would die if he found out the real number!), my absolute favorites are my 5 speedys. I have 3 bags in the 30 size (roses, graffiti and azure) and 2 in the 35 (watercolor and azure). I have decided that of the two sizes, the 35 is really my favorite. I was concerned with my first 35 (purchase number 3) that it was too much like luggage and I would soon tire of it being so big, but I really appreciate the extra room. Although everything I carry (and it's a lot that I like to carry) fits it the 30, it is a snug fit and that is what I dislike most about the 30. The 35 is only about 2 inches longer and maybe an inch or so wider, but it makes a huge difference with regard to ease of pulling things out and putting things back into your bag. I just switched out from my 35 azure into my 30 graffiti and (although I love her) I am dying to switch back to my comfy/cozy 35. I am hoping to get the 35 ebene before the year ends as well.

I dislike the potential for sag, so I place the items I carry "strategically" to balance out the purse. Each side is pretty equally weighted so I have yet to suffer through the sag factor. I think if you got the 35 and you wore it frequently you would find that sense of comfort you are now experiencing with your sister's 30. The difference in cost is negligible and since you do prefer larger bags, I would suggest you go with the 35 and just make it your "go to bag" so that it does become slouchy and loved. I hope you enjoy whichever bag you ultimately choose :smile:

I totally understand what you mean. Thats mainly the reason I enjoy larger bags....I like the comfort of the extra room

And the more I think about it I'm loving the "slouch" of my sisters bag not the "sag". So if I still went with a 35 Im thinking it will slouch over time as you've said

I guess I need to go and try them on in the boutique and see. Although it will be hard to tell when they are stiff and new

I wish they had the speedy 32 or something! I feel sometimes the 30 is a touch too small but the 35 is definitely too big.
Also about the slouch, I feel speedys really start slouching right away since there really isnt too much holding their shape.

I have 4 speedys and all 35 - it's my favourite size, but I like big bags. I think there is a big difference between the 30 & 35.

As far as the sag, I don't mind it but I also "arrange" all my stuff in my bag in such a way that it doesn't sag alot, just enough for my taste.

I do think the canvas softens up a bit overtime but a speedy doesn't have to look sloppy, I don't think mine do - I base shaper will help in that respect.

As far as the size, it can be a tricky thing. I guess that is why so many people have the same bag in different sizes....Good luck deciding!

Iluvbags, I agree with fashion_mom1 about trying on the Speedy 30 at the store and seeing how you feel about it vs. your sister's slouchy, broken in Speedy.

I've owned up to 6 Speedies at one time and I've never broken them in to the point where they slouch all soft & comfy like you described. My Speedy 35 definitely SAGS but my previously owned regular Mono Speedy SLOUCHED. I do think there's a big difference in size so I ordered a Mon Mono Speedy 30 in order to accomodate my different needs. Maybe you need 2 sizes as well, lol.

I've had my 30 since 2007 and it didn't take long to feel broken in. Also, I don't have a need for a shaper in the 30 because it fills out nicely with my stuff in it. I rarely have the sag with this size. Sometimes I have felt that I should have gotten 35 but thats usually if I am going on a trip. For everyday use the 30 has been plenty roomy for me.

I wish they had the speedy 32 or something! I feel sometimes the 30 is a touch too small but the 35 is definitely too big.
Also about the slouch, I feel speedys really start slouching right away since there really isnt too much holding their shape.

Ooh a Speedy 32. Good idea:nuts: