What is your take on "cloth" handbags?

More4Me

Epidemiologist
Oct 5, 2007
I know LV, Gucci and Coach are the main culprits. Why spend hundreds of dollars for a bag that is not even leather?

I want to start a collection soon. I am just not sure about paying so much for something that might be pretty but is made of cloth fabric.

What is your take on expensive cloth bags?

I don't care for them personally but no one is forcing me to buy them so I'm happy. I do have to say that some people are vegan and thus they don't use leather products. I am not one of these people, but that could be a reason why. All handbags have a huge mark up even if they are quality leather. I think that like anything else, it is preference. I don't personally care for most cloth bags.

I can't see investing in a cloth bag. If I am forking out a lot of money(well, for me anyway :P), then I want a leather bag. The only fabric bag I would consider buying is a Prada nylon bag.

I don't mind coated canvas. It's darn near indestructible. However, plain cloth is a no-go for me. It gets filthy so easily. I see a lot of women carrying the logo canvas Coach bags around here, and half the time they look grimy. That would drive me insane.

Coated Canvas is good, like the LV Monogram or LAMB Signature bags. As someone said, they are pretty indestructable, I don't have to stress about them if I get caught in the rain and they get a bit wet, etc. I have one regular uncoated canvas bag, and I am very careful with her.

Most of my bags are leather though.............

I have a few gucci's that are canvas and I love them. They are light weight and versatile. I enjoy carrying my canvas gucci more in the summer than my leather bags. The canvas is not easily ruined and will las for a long time. I've never had any trouble with mine and I like a variety of different bags.

I think LV is one of the only types of "fabric" bags that I'd spend money on. If you've ever felt one, the canvas is actually coated, and I love the way it feels and I love how durable and great they are. My Damier Speedy is one of my favorite bags, it's fabulous.

As for plain cloth bags, I think they serve their purpose, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them. Some are nice because they're washable, and I wouldn't tote library books around in a nice bag, or bring a nice bag to the beach or on a boat, you know? As much as I love my nice leather bags, I can appreciate other materials for what they are.

i guess i am in the minority, i mostly dislike leather bags; most are too heavy for me..i love my nylon prada's and my denim lv's... and my one mono lv....i agree, there is no way they should be as $$$ as they are...i do have some leather, and i love balenciaga....

I've fallen for cloth bags but they always break my heart. Or, rather, I always break them. I'm just not willing to baby my bags and the cloth ends up dirty and worn looking much too fast. So, I don't have anything against cloth bags per se; they just don't fit my lifestyle.

I am still waiting for the perfect coated canvas bag to come along. I keep hearing words like "indestructible" and "bulletproof." Nice words :smile: I just don't like the LV logos all over the canvas.