What is your take on "cloth" handbags?

I have a LV monogram canvas that is several years old. Ironically, it was the leather strap on it that started to crack at the seam. Coated canvas and nylon are durable and easy to clean.

For regular cloth bags, you have to be willing to dry clean and take to someone who understands bags and won't ruin them.

I can't justify the price either. I'd rather pay for quality italian leather than plastic coated canvas or cloth. That's my preference after buying a LV. I'll keep it because it's a classic but I find the vachetta on my LV to wear worse then the vachetta on my D & B which I had used a lot more. Leather wears in sooo beautifully and all my leather bags are in great shape and have gotten better with age. Can't say the same for any of my past cloth/coated plastic bags though. I can justify the price for leather but for plastic at the same price point? I think not. You just pay for the logo.

Depends on the fabric...

I'm just as happy (or unhappy, considering recent [obscene] price hikes!) to pay for a really good quality satin evening bag, for example, as I am a leather one; but I don't buy monogrammed fabric bags, personally.

I would also be happy to buy a really nice faux suede bag, too (I love faux suede for its softness and practicality), although I haven't, yet. :smile:

I think cloth bags can be nice and worth the purchase price as easily as a leather bag might not live up to it's price.

Quite. :yes:

I'd far rather buy a nice quality fabric bag, than a poorer quality leather one.

Also, I make a point of trying to avoid cheap leather, as one doesn't know where it's come from (cats/dogs?! :wtf: ), or how the animals were treated. :s

I'm not big on cloth bags either. What I really like is when something sticks out as original and not necessarily an "it" bag that every other woman wants and that will end up being knocked off heavily. So on occassions, I have purchased a few cloth bags and broken my rules. As a matter of fact, I'm getting the Coach bag below during Macy's FF sale and it isn't leather.
11806_b4na_a0_front

many people talk about the quality of a canvas bag as a concern. My grandmother purchased a gucci back in the early eighties and it is still in great condition. That is almost 30 years. Now that is a lifetime for a bag!

Don't like cloth or canvas bags, especially when the price is unreasonably high. However, lately I started to admire the Tod's/Hogan satin/fabric line. They are also overpriced (around $875..) but so cute and very light. Still, that's a lot of money for a fabric bag.

Attachments

• tod_nylon875.JPG
    tod_nylon875.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 58
I agree. I would never pay $850 for a cloth bag. I think $500 is the limit especially for a satin bag. That is a cute bag though and it is a change to some days carry a lightweight bag. I always seem to be holding my hand under the shoulder strap when carrying larger, leather purses. And the few satin, cloth, etc bags I have, I just hang them around my forearm.

Leather is so so so overrated. It can be heavy, it can stain, it can be scratched and torn, etc etc.

It's just another material, like canvas. Both are natural, it's just one is from a plant, another is from an animal.

I like both, for different purposes.

Leather is so so so overrated. It can be heavy, it can stain, it can be scratched and torn, etc etc.

It's just another material, like canvas. Both are natural, it's just one is from a plant, another is from an animal.

I like both, for different purposes.

ITA, 100% with everything you said! So overrated!