What is your opinion about selling bags from an outlet?

I_Love_Tennis

May 18, 2008
I am currently trying to figure out a way to make money on eBay. The biggest obstacle is trying to decide WHAT to sell.

I know it's a risk to sell any designer handbag on eBay, because of issues with bait & switch, problems with authenticity, etc.

I live really close to a Coach Factory Outlet store, and thought maybe if I purchased a few items from there and resell, I could make some moola.

Is that totally cheesy? What is your opinion on doing that? I know technically it's completely legal, but is it unethical?

Thanks! :heart:

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it—as long as they're authentic, I don't see the big deal. Ahhh, the beauty of capitalism!

However, I could be wrong here. :confused1:

But curious to see what everybody else thinks.

VPT

i ♥ blood oranges
May 16, 2008
Most sellers get their stuff from outlets or discount stores nothing wrong with that. Just make sure tags are intact, and bag has no flaws. If they do you must disclose them.

nooch

Judge Roughneck
Apr 25, 2008
I can't see how there could be anything wrong with it, as long as the market isn't already flooded with 390247902374290423 of the same bag (right now, I see a ton of outlet bags on ebay that don't end too high).

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
I can't see how there could be anything wrong with it, as long as the market isn't already flooded with 390247902374290423 of the same bag (right now, I see a ton of outlet bags on ebay that don't end too high).

Oooh, how can you tell if it's from the factory store or not? I know I can't tell, but I am by no means a Coach expert.

Do you think the average buyer knows the difference?

Fendilover2822

Handbag Addict
Sep 9, 2006
I work in an outlet mall, and we have a ton of resellers. If you build a report with the stores, they may discount even further. I know I did it, and I made some money. Just make sure everything is returnable in case it doesn't sell, and make sure you buy cheap, b/c people go on ebay to save money.

Nov 16, 2007
Oooh, how can you tell if it's from the factory store or not? I know I can't tell, but I am by no means a Coach expert.

Do you think the average buyer knows the difference?

With Coach (speaking from a lot of experience as I used to resell outlet bags solely), there are a few designs that were made ONLY for the outlet stores. Also, on the inside creed, they stamp a little circle into the leather, indicating that it is an outlet bag.

Also, if it was purchased as a 50% discount because there was a flaw with the bag, Coach stamps a "FS" for final sale on the creed.

You can make plenty of money reselling outlet bags, and it's entirely up to your morals if you find it ethical or not (I had no problem with it, as I have developed a fabulous relationship with the SAs in that store). I made quite a bit of cash. Just remember to disclose disclose disclose, no matter what you sell from where.

Lizabet

Nov 29, 2007
I had no problem buying a bag I could not get at the online store from an outlet reseller on Ebay. It was nice to find what I wanted and not have to run all over the state hoping a store still had one or two - in my mind you're doing a bit of a service.

I_Love_Tennis

May 18, 2008
With Coach (speaking from a lot of experience as I used to resell outlet bags solely), there are a few designs that were made ONLY for the outlet stores. Also, on the inside creed, they stamp a little circle into the leather, indicating that it is an outlet bag.

Also, if it was purchased as a 50% discount because there was a flaw with the bag, Coach stamps a "FS" for final sale on the creed.

You can make plenty of money reselling outlet bags, and it's entirely up to your morals if you find it ethical or not (I had no problem with it, as I have developed a fabulous relationship with the SAs in that store). I made quite a bit of cash. Just remember to disclose disclose disclose, no matter what you sell from where.

a lot of excellent information. thank you for that. I don't think I would have a problem with selling outlet bags on eBay, but you never know what other people would do/say. don't want to p*ss anybody off. :P

oh, and sarahloveslouis, were you upfront with the SA's at the outlet store (Coach) and told them you were reselling on eBay? Is that frowned upon in their eyes? Like I said, I know it isn't illegal, but the last thing I would want to do is anger some people.

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
a lot of excellent information. thank you for that. I don't think I would have a problem with selling outlet bags on eBay, but you never know what other people would do/say. don't want to p*ss anybody off. :P

oh, and sarahloveslouis, were you upfront with the SA's at the outlet store (Coach) and told them you were reselling on eBay? Is that frowned upon in their eyes? Like I said, I know it isn't illegal, but the last thing I would want to do is anger some people.

That was going to be my question, too! :yahoo:

mmmpurses!

Ms. Speedy Gonzales
O.G.
Aug 24, 2007
The majority of the resellers already doing that. The trick is to buy for resell as low as possible (well... it 'depends') because eBay buyers are looking for good deal as well. Some items are sought after, in demand, so price really will not be an issue. But the majority of items are common, not so high in demand, and that is where pricing will matter. So by priced low, purchase must be at least 65% off retail, and I would even say 75% to 85% off if you can work your way around discounts. So work up a sheet, estimate all the costs of selling associated with the item at different price points and see if you can compete or beat the competition on eBay.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Do not plan on taking stuff that doesn't sell, back to Coach. They will ban you from selling if they catch on. Do not tell them you do ebay in any way shape or form.

Carefully plan your purchases. Most stuff that comes from the outlet floods ebay and the bags are hard to sell.

You just have to keep watching trends.

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Do not plan on taking stuff that doesn't sell, back to Coach. They will ban you from selling if they catch on. Do not tell them you do ebay in any way shape or form.

Carefully plan your purchases. Most stuff that comes from the outlet floods ebay and the bags are hard to sell.

You just have to keep watching trends.

Will they really? Wow. Interesting. How could they ban you from purchasing from them if they know you're selling on eBay? I guess if you do too many returns? :wtf: