What Is Your Ideal Bag Capsule Collection?

nycmamaofone

Jul 26, 2013
I've been thinking a lot about this question. What bags are necessary for my lifestyle? I found these articles and love the advice (thought I'd share):

http://into-mind.com/2013/08/05/building-a-bag-capsule-wardrobe/

http://www.featherfactor.com/2012/04/my-perfect-handbag-list.html

I know both articles don't include specific brands but these are the ideal bags for me to have:

--Shoulder Bag: Chanel jumbo and reissue
--Work Bag/Tote: Chanel GST, Givenchy Antigona, or Celine Trapeze
--Crossbody Bag: WOC, mini (eying LV Alma BB), Chanel Boy
--Handheld Ladylike Bag: Lady Dior

What are yours? :smile:

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I do not think I could get down to such a small number. I am curious what others would say.

Pimpernel

May 2, 2014
Central Europe
I've been thinking a lot about this question. What bags are necessary for my lifestyle? I found these articles and love the advice (thought I'd share):

I know both articles don't include specific brands but these are the ideal bags for me to have:

Good food for thought... never thought a bag wardrobe was necessary, LOL. I just try for any bag I see and like to fulfill as many functions as possible. All-rounder, all-climate, all-occasions, rather roomy kind of piece (both my Chloe Paraty and my LV Trevi PM come pretty close to fulfilling all needs). So I always look for both hand-held, shoulder AND crossbody options in any bag (so, a detachable and adjustable strap is a must) which can be dressed up or down as needed with just a scarf or some vintage bauble. Thus, most of my bags are actually quite similar to one another, because I tend to use them all in the same way and stow the same stuff into them. The exception is backpacks for travel, hiking or shopping - period. Evening extravaganzas and cute mini-anythings are a waste of money and closet space for me. I just pick the discreet neutral pochette with wrist strap which holds my toiletries in my everyday bag and voila, instant ballgown companion ;) YMMV, of course, I am not a Mommy so life is much easier as I only have to cater to my own needs!

melvel

O.G.
Apr 7, 2007
I build my bag closet based on my needs and based on colors.

For colors, I aim to have only one bag for each color of the rainbow. I already have a bright red bag, a bright blue bag, a bright green bag and a bright purple bag. So I've been looking for an orange one and a yellow one. Once I get bags I like in those colors, I won't buy any more colored bags. I'm not in a rush to buy, I wait until I find a style I like.

For my needs, I work in a professional office environment so my office bags are either satchels or shoulder bags. For the office, I tend to stick to the neutral tones like black, brown or camel. I think one of each color for work would be enough. [Incidentally, this is the category I feel my closet needs the most editing. I have way too many brown bags]

My lifestyle doesn't require me to own teeny tiny bags for parties or formal events. So I only ever use those kinds of bags (minaudieres or clutches) several times in a year (for weddings mostly). I don't buy expensive clutches because I feel the cost-per-wear would not be worth it. I probably have only three clutches in my closet (one gold, one silver, one black) and all cheap but durable.

For travel (which I do quite often, usually for vacations), I keep several cross-body bags in my closet because those are the most practical hands-free option while sightseeing. For the airport, I use large totes (like the Neverfull).

CrackBerryCream

The Edge of Glory
Oct 26, 2012
Vienna, Austria
I basically use the same bags of my collection again and again. Most of them can fit a laptop lol. So if I were to build a capsule bag collection it would be:

Work/power bag (like the power tie lol): Hermes Birkin

Shopping/schlepping bag: LV Damier Ebene Neverfull GM

Fashion bag: Balenciaga Part Time

Leisure bag: Mansur Gavriel bucket bag (although I'm using it for work currently)

Society bag: Hermes Kelly in Black Box leather with gold hardware

Going out: Chanel Wallet on Chain in black Caviar with gold hardware

BlingBabe

Jul 5, 2014
Hmmm...

Crossbody- PS Courier
Slouchy shoulder- BV Cervo shoulder
Tote- Moreau Bregancon tote
Classic satchel- Fendi Peekaboo

nycmamaofone

Jul 26, 2013
I build my bag closet based on my needs and based on colors.

For colors, I aim to have only one bag for each color of the rainbow. I already have a bright red bag, a bright blue bag, a bright green bag and a bright purple bag. So I've been looking for an orange one and a yellow one. Once I get bags I like in those colors, I won't buy any more colored bags. I'm not in a rush to buy, I wait until I find a style I like.

For my needs, I work in a professional office environment so my office bags are either satchels or shoulder bags. For the office, I tend to stick to the neutral tones like black, brown or camel. I think one of each color for work would be enough. [Incidentally, this is the category I feel my closet needs the most editing. I have way too many brown bags]

My lifestyle doesn't require me to own teeny tiny bags for parties or formal events. So I only ever use those kinds of bags (minaudieres or clutches) several times in a year (for weddings mostly). I don't buy expensive clutches because I feel the cost-per-wear would not be worth it. I probably have only three clutches in my closet (one gold, one silver, one black) and all cheap but durable.

For travel (which I do quite often, usually for vacations), I keep several cross-body bags in my closet because those are the most practical hands-free option while sightseeing. For the airport, I use large totes (like the Neverfull).
I have bought mainly neutral colored bags so now I want to branch out and get a red, blue, and purple bag and that should be good :smile:

And I agree about the clutches. I have no use for them now. As a mom I rarely need them!

Last edited:

babysunshine

Aug 20, 2014
Singapore

Shoulder bag: Michael Kors Hamilton
Workbag/tote: Kate Spade Black Patent
Crossbody/messenger: Zanellato Postina
Handheld: no handheld! Doesn't work for my present lifestyle.