What is your earrings routine?

Feb 19, 2012
I was shopping around for some new earrings the other day (8mm beads in high contention) and realised that they may be rather unsuitable for my everyday needs because...

I am a lazy soul who wears the same pair of studs for months on end before changing them for a new design. This means I sleep, shower, exercise.etc in them. As long as it is a precious metal, I will suffer no ill effects (I tried to do this with a pair of horrid cheap ones a long time ago and to my horror, it took several days for the green ring to fade!).

Therefore the beads would be too big to sleep on so I would have to take them off in the evenings and pop them on the next day.

(Btw, this habit of my does seem to change a bit in the summer, when I become more in the mood for colourful, dangly large pieces to accompany summer dresses. Then the extra weight start to hurt the holes after a few too many earring changes and I revert back to my ways).

So anyway... all this got me thinking about everyone else's earring habits - do you switch yours daily or at least remove them before bed? Or do you do what I do? :cool:

I wear the same pair of fake diamond studs from Landau, I think they are supposed to be 3 carat equivalent each? I probably take them off once every 6 months to clean the stones with a toothbrush to make them shiny again. I suppose they might be uncomfortable to sleep with for other people, but I don't even notice them anymore. The last time I wore other earrings was several years ago! Crazy to think about.

I don't have any trouble sleeping in my earrings. If I'm wearing hoops or studs they may stay in for several weeks before I change them. If I'm wearing pearls I'll remove them before showering and if I'm wearing something pave I'll take them out every few days to clean them. I used to leave my earrings in for months when I was younger.

No matter how lazy I am about taking earrings out, I never go out without earrings on, so it's not that hard to transition to changing them frequently. I never leave the house without jewelry. You might adjust pretty quickly to changing your earrings if it's out of necessity. Personally I can sleep in 8mm no problem, you might be fine with leaving them in. Let us know what you get!

I've worn the same earrings, my diamond studs, every day for YEARS, but I do take them out every night -- just part of my wash face, remove earrings at night, wash face, put in earrings in the morning.

I'm just like you except I don't even bother in the summer lol. I usually leave my hair down so anything large or dangly would get caught. I've worn 6mm 24/7 while working out/my usual routine and it's fine. I personally think 8mm is too large for my earlobe space. I would invest in something dainty but with a special design that you can dress up or down.

I take mine out every chance I get. They drive me crazy and I'm afraid I'll lose them. I hate the earrings that are hard to remove - never wear them.

The routine is: come home, take earrings out, change into my dog clothes.

I remove all my jewellery when I get home - I don't like cooking or preparing meals with rings on as they can be dirty, I don't like to exercise with watches or bracelets on because of sweat buildup and I don't like to wash my face or apply/remove makeup with earrings on. Personally, I can't sleep with jewellery on, I find it uncomfortable.

Everything goes into my jewellery box once I get home OR if I go out for dinner I'll take it off and leave it in a little box by my bedside table once we get in.

I never sleep in earrings unless they are my diamond screw back studs. I normally wear 10mm or 14mm ball studs so I can't imagine sleeping in them not only size wise but also, I am a tosser and turner so I can safely assume they would fall out and roll somewhere in the dark abyss of lost jewelry. Even if I am in the biggest rush in the morning, I will pop some earrings in because that is the only jewelry I cannot go a day without wearing.

I have 18k yellow gold small thick hoops that my husband bought me for our first Christmas living together. I have worn them ever since. I sleep shower and everything with them! I have three holes in each year and wear diamond studs in the other holes, or sometimes nothing. But the hoops are permanent and only come out to be cleaned. I can sleep in the hoops, but the studs drive me crazy!! So intake them out.

Why don't you buy a pair of cheapies in the size you are thinking to try out for a week to help make your decision

I wear and sleep in my diamond studs every day. I rarely remove them. Each one is 3/4 carat so they are a good every day size. If they weren't screw backs i'd take them out more often though. They're just difficult to unscrew.

I rarely ever wear earrings in my front holes because I'm generally lazy and am usually out the door before I realize I forgot to put earrings in. I always wear my helix stud and my gold studs in my second holes on my lobe. Those don't bother me to sleep on but for some reason wearing earrings in my front holes does!