What Is Your Deal-Breaker?

AliMarie

O.G.
Nov 25, 2010
I know we all love Coach, and maybe I'm alone in this, but does anyone else have any deal-breakers?
What is the one thing that would cause you to scornfully gaze upon a Coach bag and declare, 'You're dead to me'?

For me, it's gold hardware. Gold hardware is to me as wire hangers were to Joan Crawford. Once upon a time, you couldn't find a Coach bag with gold hardware. Life was relatively simple and good back then. Now I find myself surrounded by gold hardware.
Purple is one of my favorite colors, and the Fall of 2010 saw a number of gorgeous Madison leather items in the most perfect shade of purple...WITH GOLD HARDWARE.
I have passed up some of the most incredible Coach bags you could possibly imagine over gold hardware.

Breakaway zippers.

Actually, totes with zippers. I like the dog leash closure (I think I'm pretty rare with this preference, though).

Good question. I'm not sure how to answer, and I'll have to get back to you. As for your dread of gold hardware, it's too bad that Coach doesn't do the same as Chanel- have some classic styles that are permanent- iconic, if you will- and offer the choice of gold or silver hardware. It's too bad you had to pass up some gorgeous bags because of the hardware.

Handles that stick straight up when the bag also has a long strap. I'm bummed by the Bleeker stuff like the mini Riley that is so cute but doesn't have fold down handles so it's a no for me. :sad: Ah well, it's good for my ban though! :biggrin:

That is a really good question!! I have no good answer, but interesting to think about. Sig bags use to be a deal breaker for me, but lately I have seen some really cute sig bags at the outlets so i guess it just depends.

Ah well, it's good for my ban though! :biggrin:

So true!

Cate14: Remember the Hamptons Clip Hobos that has the dogleash clip to close? I think they still offer them online as a Classics offering. Those were amazing bags!

Jennifoo: I thought the same thing. Offer a choice. I don't care if it takes a bit longer for me to receive my bag, just as long as the hardware is right.

For me it's also any shade of brass or gold hardware. I hate it no matter how much I love the bag. I bought the damned Legacy pebbled drawstring TWICE in two different colors thinking I could deal with the hardware because I loved the bag so much, and I couldn't. I did the same thing with Midnight Oak Phoebe, but only once. :smile:

I also only shoulder carry my bags, so satchels are generally out for me just for functionality's sake, not because I don't like the way they look.

I'm with you on the gold hardware. I just don't care for it!! I also cannot wear cross body bags, I have tried and I dislike the fact that most have the long strap as well as handles. In my opinion, that's just too much going on.
Good topic :smile:

Heavy bags or a handheld only bags. I also tend to stay away from bags with very narrow compartments. I'll stop by the store to admire pretty bags, but it's not coming home with me unless it's functional! :nogood:

Handles that stick straight up when using the crossbody strap. Looks way too strange! I also don't like bags that you can only carry by your hand. I need to be able to wear it over my shoulder comfortably or crossbody. I need my hands free as a busy mom.

"Crossbody" straps being 20" or less (for those who are bustier and have larger torsos, 20" is NOT enough! I can only imagine how some of the taller ladies feel) and being made way too thin. I'm looking at you, Borough bags!

I like gold hardware except that super brassy looking stuff they did awhile back. Some leather colors look better with gold than silver. As long as the total effect looks good, I'm fine with it.

I hate dogleash closures. I would rather have no closure than that. I want to cut off the dogleash clip because it gets in the way. It doesn't really keep your stuff from falling out but it is a pain to clip and unclip. I love that the newer totes seem to have nonseparating zippers that go all the way to the end. Coach does make a lot of choices so it's okay if you don't like everything.

For me, I walk away from anything huge or heavy. It is harder for me to walk away from bags that are too small but I know I should. Generally it is a dealbreaker if I can't fit my large wallet and sunglasses. It's even worse when a small bag doesn't have a secure closure because then I feel you can't load it up to the top.

I'm trying to stay away from satchels because I like short shoulder straps, but I'm not too successful at that because they are so cute. I loved the glitter lizard Sadie but I talked myself out of it.

I think I've gotten myself convinced to never buy another clutch. Even the big ones don't hold enough.

I used to avoid separating zippers but on medium or large Candace they don't bother me because I don't have to open them all the way, so it isn't a definite dealbreaker.

Price is also a dealbreaker. I balk at anything over $500.

I hate compartments.

Also I hate it when there is only one pocket inside and none outside. Lots of my vintage are like this so I put up with it.

Last edited:
Most embossed leather, even pebbled leather. I love the way it looks, but it's just not something that works with my style (simple, clean lines). My leather has to be smooth, or it could be a little distressed like the Minkoff or Balenciaga bags. I have two saffiano bags - don't want more.

I have to keep reminding myself not to buy embossed leather bags, though, because the designs are so beautiful.

Same thing with animal prints. They are just a little too bold for me.

I try to stay away from metallics too. I just think I'll get tired of them.

And patent leather bags. I don't like it when the patent leather bends.

I have no problem with patent or metallic or embossed leather shoes or animal print shoes (haircalf leopard, for example). Love those.

Last edited:
Gold used to be a deal breaker until I found the embossed lizard (light colored one) Madeline at the outlet. For some reason, I was totally drawn to that bag. It was so classy, IMO. It was like nothing else in my collection. I just ordered another bag from FOS with gold HW. I think it depends on the style of the bag. Oh actually, my Phoebe has light gold (chestnut), but it's so unnoticeable, I never really thought much about it once I bought it and started using it.

Never liked breakaway zippers.

I have an affliction with bags that have short handles and shoulder/crossbody straps. It's a visual thing. It has to fit on my shoulder. That's why I'm always unsure of the mini satchels. That and I'm the type to put stuff in a bag and carry that bag for a week or two. I need to pull out some of my old vintage mini bags to give them a go for awhile when I want something small.

Cool thread!

Oh, and I'd probably add signature stuff. But it's not that it's a deal breaker, it's just not that I've seen any I've been crazy about over the past 12-15 yrs.

Anything that's too stiff or boxy is probably my biggest deal-breaker. I am starting to consider patent leather in any color but black a deal-breaker after getting color transfer on the patent handles of my grey croc Lindsey.