What is your "comfort level" of the dollar amount you are willing to spend on a LV handbag?

I reassessed during Covid and culled my entire collection to 25 of my favorite bags that I actually will use. Today I picked up the Queen Bee herself, the Capucines BB in noir. I wanted an every day bag and that’s why I chose the BB. I had previously thought my Chanel was as high as I’d go price wise but I have to say, the Capucines is just gorgeous and nothing less than my Chanel. Not sure why I thought this. Just was. Will I use it everyday as opposed to my Chanel? Time will tell.

I reassessed during Covid and culled my entire collection to 25 of my favorite bags that I actually will use. Today I picked up the Queen Bee herself, the Capucines BB in noir. I wanted an every day bag and that’s why I chose the BB. I had previously thought my Chanel was as high as I’d go price wise but I have to say, the Capucines is just gorgeous and nothing less than my Chanel. Not sure why I thought this. Just was. Will I use it everyday as opposed to my Chanel? Time will tell.
Love the capucines too! it's a great LV unique design and wears really well!

Reactions: Loriad
My most expensive (mainly) canvas item was the Bond Street BB which I think was just over $2k - the Taurillon leather strip pushed the price up a bit but it’s SO pretty - and my most expensive leather was the Onthego PM at $2940 (bought right before last PI).
I would say for the regular canvas items I own - Speedy, Neverfull, Odeon - the Odeon was the top of my canvas comfort level at $1770.
Leather would be 3k, I would go up to 3.5k for certain ones. I love the Capucines - Taurillon leather is so luxurious! - but I would buy it secondhand.

For LV I'll spend around $1500 without much consideration - anything more (i.e.: leather & at the +$3k mark) and I start to look at other brands, for me it's primarily Celine. Not to say that I haven't or wouldn't spend more, but ultimately I always end up going with another brand.

I'd still like to get an Empreinte Pochette Metis in Noir but again every time I go to, I end up purchasing something else from another brand, which is probably for the best since I was somewhat underwhelmed when I first saw it.

Last edited:
My comfort level goes up in increments with the new items they introduce and also the price increases. It has too, or I'd be done buying LV and I'm not done yet. I can't believe for example the pouchette accessoires is now $700 :shocked: I bought both of mine for $500 just a few years ago! I'm more into the canvas pieces from LV and leather pieces from Chanel. However, I do look at some of LV's newer leather pieces, like the ONTHEGO totes and if I was a tote girl I would buy one and be ok with the price. Or at least with the price it is right now. They are well made and looks like they will last a long time. The one I'm on the fence about is the Twist one handle. It's a well made bag also, but I can't get past that $4,400 price tag on the PM size. it may have the same leather as a Capucine, but it's not a Capucine. Nor does it have the same amount of detail that a Capucines has. So my comfort level varies. I just hope they don't attempt to do with LV what they are doing with Chanel and make it unattanable for a great majority of luxury buyers.

Reactions: Loriad
For me it’s less than $2k right now. The most I’ve spent was on a Marina XS and I regret it. I wish I had looked at Chanel at the time (2008-09).although I agree this limit is a moving target! LoL! I bought my first LV, an Epi PA, for $200 back in 2001 and DE Speedy 30 for $500 in 2007. They both had the best roi!
Anything more than $2k I will look at other designers.

I get uncomfortable with the thought of spending more than $2.5k for an LV bag, although I'm willing to consider it if the bag is truly special and it's one I know I'd keep for many years. That means not only does it have to really catch my eye, it also needs to have flawless construction and be easy to wear/carry. Above $3.5k, I'd probably shift over to Delvaux, possibly Moynat. I will not order anything online above $2k. Once I hit that level, it's in-store purchases only.

Last edited:
Personally the most I’ve ever spent on a LV bag was when I bought my Catogram Neverfull MM.

I don’t particularly like LV leather pieces and the last few years besides the Catogram and the Métis I haven’t liked a lot of what they’ve been putting out. I don’t tend to buy what’s current and hot and on trend so therefore my LV collection is a lot of preloved bags. I don’t mind buying preloved and then have all the vachetta replaced

That said the most I’ve ever spent on a bag is 6k for Chanel. If I’m going to spend that kind of money it would only be for a Chanel
I just purchased a catogram neverfull and was wondering what it cost to have the vachetta replaced. They were so expensive and I found one with a initials on the strap and want to replace it. Also how long does it usually take to get them replaced. I'm not sure I can be without it for too long!......

Looking at the price increases, what I paid for my Keepall versus what it’s selling for now, or even the price of the canvas key pouch compared with what I paid for mine ten years ago, I think I might have hit my limit in general for buying brand new LV. I have always enjoyed the hunt for a vintage or older piece, I think this is the way I’ll be going mostly from now on.