What is your come back when people ask how much you spent on a bag or anything

berta

mom2 12paws
O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
So. Florida
I need a come back when people ask.. How much did you pay for that? When "none of your business" won't do.

Lately I have been buying a lot of bags. Seems like every time I drive up my neighbor is out and would say, so what did you buy me today.. I show my latest bag. He comments, I tell him about the bag, like he cares - not. Hey don't ask I won't tell. So he has been recently been asking what's that worth, my return more than a house payment.

Today I recd my BV and for fun a Gerard Darel. Now he is asking about how much I paid.
Just texted me now. I like the guy, so I don't want a battle of words. But how does one do this politely?

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
earth
If my neighbor ever asked, "hey what did you buy me today?" I would have just said "nothing!" and laughed. But since you have been providing him with info you need a way to stop providing him info.
Next time he asks or texts you about what you spent tell him the truth, "I'm really no longer comfortable disclosing what I spend on things if thats okay with you. No harm, no foul." (insert happy face here).

If anyone asks what I pay for things I just say, "I don't remember. Does it matter?" Then I change the subject.

Luv iz Louis

Jul 22, 2012
Australia
In this case I would make sure that I did not take a carry bag in the house if he is outside watching. I would carry the bag in a grocery bag or something - I am very private and careful that I never put packaging in the bin. I am paranoid about this as I live in a complex with surrounding townhouses.

it really is none of his business and he may just be over friendly but I am sure he would not ask if he could not see a carry bag?

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
I was taught to never ask people things like this but it seems common now. I tell them I'd rather not say/talk about it.

I also hate it when people try to shame me for having a nice bag or anything that they wouldn't buy. I had a woman rant at me for having a Kindle, of all things!

berta

mom2 12paws
O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
So. Florida
He is a nice person, just has holes in his filter. I don't truly think he is out to do anything weird, just think that cost should not be a subject. So I need a polite way of diverting the conversation away from cost. I too, have big holes in my filter, people ask questions and without thinking some times I answer. I know I am also to blame.

maybe he thought it'll be a safe topic because handbag is your passion/hobby, sort of like talking about sports? I know some guys like that, they don't know what's a safe topic to start with girls so they just go with what they think something a girl would be into. But I'm surprised he asked about your return and house payment. He should have a general idea about it since he also lives in the same neighborhood.

iheart_purses

Oct 14, 2013
Canada
I was taught to never ask people things like this but it seems common now. I tell them I'd rather not say/talk about it.

I also hate it when people try to shame me for having a nice bag or anything that they wouldn't buy. I had a woman rant at me for having a Kindle, of all things!
biggest pet peeve ever....Like oh look at her she has a new bag, "how much did you spend on that" <in condescending manner>. I usually just say, hey it was on sale! I had to treat myself or something and then change the subject. If it is a REALLY annoying person, I then continue in depth that if they saved money and didn't waste it on drinking, partying or something that they could also afford a nice bag. This usually makes them even more bitter and they leave me alone :rolleyes::rolleyes:

hermes_lemming

my little etoupe
O.G.
May 5, 2006
I like this and may use it the next time someone asks. It's true!
I said that before... when I had my first dog. Shady immigrants would walk along side me and ask how much my Yorkie puppy cost. This was pre-paris Hilton days. I knew exactly how much he was but lied and said "I don't know. He was a gift." Because he was so shady.

OP, just stop providing info. I hate to say it but you should have never been so forthcoming to begin with.

Lzamare

O.G.
Oct 17, 2008
Cali
I was also taught not to ask how much or where something was purchased.

When I do run into these people that ask such questions I reply why, or I tell them. When they reply with something crazy about what they wouldn't do, I say but if you could you would or luckily I'm not you or I knew there was some reason we couldn't be closer friends...make them think about what I'm doing they are not.

Mar 14, 2006
the lowcountry
I say, "a lot" and then move on. I don't entertain any more questions about it and just keep doing what I was doing or return conversation to another subject.