What Is Up With Sellers Not Including ALL The Information In Their Auctions?

Miss Evy Rocks!

AMARYLIS RISING PHOENIX
O.G.
Dec 15, 2007
Okay, so I won this Dooney and Bourke IT tote last week and it was delivered this past Friday... At first I was disappointed at the size, but then again it is very cute! As I was inspecting it, I noticed small dark marks around the back of it... Then the handles look a little scratched and... eh, handled? The vachetta leather is already turning honey and I haven't taken it out yet :shrugs:
She was described as "New without Tags." :confused1:
I decided that since I got it at an okay price ($76) I would keep it.

Then my bf won an auction on Fleabay for a Dooney and Bourkey wristlet.
Keyword being WRISTlet.
She send it to us and it came sans the strap which would make it a what? Handlet? Anyhow, I messaged her informing her that she had forgotten to send me the strap which is mighty important in order for it to be a wristlet. She then responds by saying that it did not come with one when she bought it and that she paid a low price for it... She offered to call D&B and have them send me a replacement strap. Okay I accepted that. She then messaged me that D&B would not send her a free one since hers came without it (even though I KNOW these specific wristlets come with the strap) and that if I wanted I could order it online and it would be $10. Right... She proceeded to offer me a $5 refund for the strap. I responded that she should refund me the whole $10 in order for it to cover the purchase of said strap. No go. She says that she was being reasonable and nice about all this and that is all she was willing to do. Nowhere in the auction does it state that she is selling a wristlet without a strap :cursing: Otherwise we wouldn't have bid.

Lastly, I get home from my BF's and I find myself with a box. It's the Disney tote I won a week ago. Described as NWT. I won it for $11 so i was stocked :yahoo: but when I opened the box I noticed that the appliqués on the Mickey on the front were scratched. His bright red shorts have several patches of not so red anymore :crybaby:and sadly it is pretty noticeable...

:tdown: I'm so over with sellers not disclosing this little imperfections that make a huge difference in a buyer's satisfactory state. It's like they just have that item you want lying around, once you win it they just dig it up from under their bed, throw it in a box and good luck to ya!

Sorry, I just had to rant! :cursing: It's too much!

Stop the madness!

No problems reading the text here -

Can I join in your rant? I purchased an "excellent used condition with no marks, scratches, or stains" tangerine Cole Haan wallet last week. Between the two photos provided and the text, I thought for sure I'd found a beautiful tangerine-colored wallet. I mean, no marks? No stains? No scratches?

So I get the wallet yesterday, first thing I see - a pen mark inside and it just gets worse. Rubbing near the two zippers, a cosmetic stain inside one of the slip pockets, and a couple of marks on the back side of the wallet. I took photos of the wallet and sent them to my seller. Her reply? Must have happened when she was conditioning the wallet right before boxing it up. She did promptly refund my money (including what I paid to ship it back to her) (she sure does trust me to have already done it before getting the wallet back) and then you know what? She asks if she can use the photos I sent her to relist the wallet. I said yes...

No problems reading the text here -

Me neither. :nogood:

Can I join your rant, too? :flowers:

I broke my rule of no used shoes and bought a pair of gorgeous suede and leather A/W '02 Chloe shoes, supposedly barely worn (2x). No damage or faults were reported in the auction, or in the answer to my standard extremely detailed questionaire about condition; a version of which I send to all sellers I am interested in buying from.

But, they arrived with extensive, very large, very light, rub marks all over the back (and the sides of the back) of the (dark brown leather) heels. :sad:

At virtually the same time, I was extremely happy to find a NWOT black suede bag from the same season; again, no faults were mentioned in the auction description, or in the reply from the seller re. my standard, extremely indepth, questionaire about condition.

It arrived with a missing zip-pull and suede lariat, extensive shiny patches all over it and frankly, pretty dubious-looking white marks (the seller was a guy, selling the bag on behalf of his female friend)...

I also bought a Chloe necklace that was supposed to be; 'IN GOOD CONDITION OTHER THAN A FEW VERY SMALL SUPERFICIAL MARKS ON THE PADLOCK', but which has, actually, clearly, been very heavily used (like, every day, for 3 years, by a bricklayer! :lol: ) and appears to also be missing the ring part of its clasp; again, no mention of this in the description, or in reply to my email.

Finally, I bought a Chloe bracelet and it appears to be OK, condition-wise, but it was supposed to come in its original box, according to the auction description, but actually, it came in a box for another Chloe item.

These are all consecutive purchases and are ALL THE eBAY PURCHASES I HAVE MADE WITHIN THE LAST MONTH!!! :cursing:

A 100% failure rate for condition and/or accurate description and comms, I think you will agree, is pretty darn poor. :tdown:

Trust me, I'm not, intentionally, seeking out poor sellers, or very cheap items, either; I am merely trying to buy the older Chloe items I love.

It also annoys me that, when you complain, sellers will try to say that you got the item; 'for a steal'; as though that is a valid excuse for them having lied about condition.

Even that statement, in itself, is a lie, as the item, presuambly, sold for the current market value; assuming it was in the condition it was described as being in in the auction.

Therefore, if it arrives in SNAD condition, it is NOT, in any way; 'a steal'.

The only way sellers like this, could, accurately, claim that they believe that the item was; 'a steal', despite its poor condition, is that, due to lying sellers like themselves, buyers now have so very little faith in eBay sellers and the items they sell, that they just assume that the item is in very SNAD condition (i.e. even more SNAD than it actually is) and bid accordingly. :sad:

The name 'Fleabay' is, sadly, about right. :tdown:

Last edited:
Me neither.

Can I join your rant, too?

I broke my rule of no used shoes and bought a pair of gorgeous suede and leather A/W '02 Chloe shoes, supposedly barely worn (2x). No damage or faults were reported in the auction, or in the answer to my standard extremely detailed questionaire about condition; a version of which I send to all sellers I am interested in buying from.

But, they arrived with extensive, very large, very light, rub marks all over the back (and the sides of the back) of the (dark brown leather) heels. :sad:

At virtually the same time, I was extremely happy to find a NWOT black suede bag from the same season; again, no faults were mentioned in the auction description, or in the reply from the seller re. my standard, extremely indepth, questionaire about condition.

It arrived with a missing zip-pull and suede lariat, extensive shiny patches all over it and frankly, pretty dubious-looking white marks (the seller was a guy, selling the bag on behalf of his female friend)...

I also bought a Chloe necklace that was supposed to be; 'IN GOOD CONDITION OTHER THAN A FEW VERY SMALL SUPERFICIAL MARKS ON THE PADLOCK', but which has, actually, clearly, been very heavily used (like, every day, for 3 years, by a bricklayer! :lol: ) and appears to also be missing the ring part of its clasp; again, no mention of this in the description, or in reply to my email.

Finally, I bought a Chloe bracelet and it appears to be OK, condition-wise, but it was supposed to come in its original box, according to the auction description, but actually, it came in a box for another Chloe item.

These are all consecutive purchases and are ALL THE eBAY PURCHASES I HAVE MADE WITHIN THE LAST MONTH!!!

A 100% failure rate for condition and/or accurate description and comms, I think you will agree, is pretty darn poor. :tdown:

Trust me, I'm not, intentionally, seeking out poor sellers, or very cheap items, either; I am merely trying to buy the older Chloe items I love.

It also annoys me that, when you complain, sellers will try to say that you got the item; 'for a steal'; as though that is a valid excuse for them having lied about condition.

Even that statement, in itself, is a lie, as the item, presuambly, sold for the current market value; assuming it was in the condition it was described as being in in the auction.

Therefore, if it arrives in SNAD condition, it is NOT, in any way; 'a steal'.

The only way sellers like this, could, accurately, claim that they believe that the item was; 'a steal', despite its poor condition, is that, due to lying sellers like themselves, buyers now have so very little faith in eBay sellers and the items they sell, that they just assume that the item is in very SNAD condition (i.e. even more SNAD than it actually is) and bid accordingly. :sad:

The name 'Fleabay' is, sadly, about right. :tdown:

This pretty much sums up my experience with ebay and this is the reason why I have completely stopped buying from ebay. It's like sellers completely failr to disclose the true condition of things and when you PM them and try to ask more questions they look down on you like "how dare is she to bother me." I swear there was like a ton rants I've read within the past month on this forum about sellers freaking out about buyers asking them lots of detailed questions and whenever someone posts a rant like that a ton of TPF members jump in and immediately label that seller as a scammer. Oh, she is asking lots of questions, she must be an evil buyer thinking of creative ways of trying to scam me. :tdown:

I wonder if any sellers would care to jump into the discussion and explain why certain sellers are so oblivious to the condition of the items they sell.

I bought a MJ blouse, it was also listed New w/out tags. When I received the blouse, it was clearly heavily worn with patches of fabric being very worn and around the edges of the hems the fabric was so worn, it had holes in it. It was also shrunk like for a toddler, I know my size for MJ clothing and wear a MJ small ( I am quite skinny, my BMI is 19 - which is like on the lowest range) yet, I couldn't even put the shirt on because it looked like it would literally fit a cat.

My guess is the seller wore it for a while, washed a few times, then something happened and the blouse got shrunk dramatically. Afterwards the seller decided to sell it, yet had the audacity to list it as NWOT. Ultimately, considering my schedule, I just didn't have time to pursue any disputes, so I decided to eat up the loss and just donated the shirt to goodwill.

Ditto, for me, too! I just finished a thread in this forum on what type of feedback I should leave a seller who sent me a vintage lizard and suede BV evening bag where the inside of the purse was coming away from the outside. It is a purse worth keeping and repairing, but she should have disclosed this flaw. I emailed her with pictures, and she responded to thank me for purchasing the purse and for being so gracious - enjoy the purse... No apology, no offers to help defray the cost of repair. I am waiting to leave her feedback or not.

Earlier I purchased a very early vintage BV in a mauve color. It arrived with water stains on the woven section, and darkening/blackening on edges and handles. Much later, I found out that this seller had purchased the bag from another eBayer who detailed the flaws, verbally and pictorially, but when my seller relisted she failed to mention the flaws. My seller's pictures were nowhere near the quality of the original seller. I paid a very pretty price for this one, and it is rare, but I will never buy from this seller again.

Another BV - much more darkening (read a great deal of darkening/dirt) than mentioned, though I specifically asked her if there was anything about which I should be made aware with regard to the condition. She stated that it was barely used... yeah, right! The color, though lovely was not what was in her photos. And it reeked of a perfume that I have been airing to remove for weeks.

A BV backpack - Fabric lining fraying away from zipper, and horrible, unidentifiable small. Listed as used, but not showing wear.

Oh, and not to mention, two counterfeit bags ($$$ returned by PP and cc company) before I found tPF, and learned to authenticate.

I expect the worse, nowadays, and have much less excitement about shopping on eBay - more regrets. I no longer believe the "mint" condition claims. Yes, I have read the rants of the sellers on this forum, and have wondered why they viewed so many buyers as scammers. In my experience, there are many sellers who are scammers! I don't have much faith in the sellers' descriptions - I have trouble believing them right now - even pictures can be selected to minimize the flaws.

On the other hand, I have purchased 3 more BV's in wonderful, as described condition... I am still happy with these purchases, and would highly recommend these sellers without reservations!!!

Know and trust your seller... apparently there are a lot of sellers who are dishonest or asleep at the wheel... and their feedback doesn't reveal that. Failure rate for description/condition disclosure: 67% since February.:sad:

^ Yes, I received a, supposedly, 'mint condition' vintage BV with extensive watermarks and salt stains, a broken tassle and general darkening and scuffs etc., too. :yes: :tdown:

I launched a dispute and received a partial refund, but I don't know why I didn't just return it for a full refund, really, as it's just sitting in a box now; because there's no way I'd use it in its current condition. :nogood: :sad:

I called BV and there's nothing they can can do to help it, apparantly, as they can only replace strips and the new strips, of course, won't match the rest of the bag. Having said that, it's in such poor condition that they'd need to replace almost all of it, so maybe matching wouldn't, actually, be a problem?! :lol:

Last edited:
Wow.
Well, I am pretty relieved I am not the only one who has issues with some sellers' inability to disclose all the information, we buyers need in order to make an informed bid :cursing:

Then they wonder why we don't bother with feedback anymore? :shrugs:
I don't leave it unless I'm 100% satisfied.
But coming may 19th, is all fair :devil:
:nuts: No more negative feedback from sellers! Yay!

^ The only problem with that, is what happens if there's a bad buyer, who buys an item and then falsely claims it didn't arrive, or it's fake, or whatever? :s

Sadly, honest sellers can be scammed, too. :sad:

As an honest buyer, I must admit, it'll be great to not have to worry about retaliatory fb, though. :yes:

gah i totally agree when sellers dont do full disclosure...i always ask "what are the flaws however minor" and they say none blahblahblahh..i've only been dissapointed 1x during my whole ebay time...its when i bought a "slightly used bag" only to receive a bag where the canvass has already turned yellowish...yuck!

gah i totally agree when sellers dont do full disclosure...i always ask "what are the flaws however minor" and they say none blahblahblahh..i've only been dissapointed 1x during my whole ebay time...its when i bought a "slightly used bag" only to receive a bag where the canvass has already turned yellowish...yuck!

Yellowish canvas? Ekkk! No shame!

Wow.

Well, I am pretty relieved I am not the only one who has issues with some sellers' inability to disclose all the information, we buyers need in order to make an informed bid :cursing:

Then they wonder why we don't bother with feedback anymore? :shrugs:
I don't leave it unless I'm 100% satisfied.
But coming may 19th, is all fair :devil:
:nuts: No more negative feedback from sellers! Yay!

Allo, I am in an SNAD dispute myself and I was wondering if anyone could update me on this - Sellers are not able to leave negative feedback anymore subject.

Cos I wasn't going to rate my seller negative seeing as how she could rate me negative in retaliation as well but if that is true, I am gonna bazoodle ahead!!!!! :shame: