What is the protocol?

Gabs007

Sofa King Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I got a dress today I had bought as "New with tags" it was mentioned that it has been professionally shortened, I assumed professionally shortened means not just ripped off (not even cut), leaving snags running through the whole fabric and rendering it pretty much unwearable, the dress is also debranded (name rendered black with a text marker, internal tags like name of item and material cut out) the tag is from a charity shop and the dress smells of some fabric freshener (new dresses hardly ever do that).

I don't want to be a difficult buyer, but feel I put a bid in according to the claim of it being new and a branded item, I mailed the seller pictures of the problem, hoping it can be resolved without me denting her account with a forced return, just got a snarly "No returns, are you too stupid to read?" back.

I guess it simply is not my month with buying on eBay

I got a dress today I had bought as "New with tags" it was mentioned that it has been professionally shortened, I assumed professionally shortened means not just ripped off (not even cut), leaving snags running through the whole fabric and rendering it pretty much unwearable, the dress is also debranded (name rendered black with a text marker, internal tags like name of item and material cut out) the tag is from a charity shop and the dress smells of some fabric freshener (new dresses hardly ever do that).

I don't want to be a difficult buyer, but feel I put a bid in according to the claim of it being new and a branded item, I mailed the seller pictures of the problem, hoping it can be resolved without me denting her account with a forced return, just got a snarly "No returns, are you too stupid to read?" back.

I guess it simply is not my month with buying on eBay[

The seller's snarly response is out of order & appropriate feedback should be left.
SNAD is in order & the seller's account deserves to be "dinged" & I don't say that lightly but all around
this is unprofessional
We all know there are sellers who disclose all details & those who don't.
I wouldn't let this seller spoil my future purchases with other sellers who set a higher standard.

I think I am lucky I only encountered her online, imagine what a joy she must be in real life, how totally unreasonably of me to buy a "new with tags" item and expect it to be new, wearable and not totally ruined....

Shame on her.. what goes around comes around & likely she'll get a taste of what she did to you come back at her
at some point in time...

Reactions: lulilu

I guess it simply is not my month with buying on eBay
If you open a return request and choose the "not as described" option, the seller's "no return" policy will be out the window.

In your dispute, clearly describe how it was listed as NWT yet had been altered (shorted) and all labels had been removed. Include and attach pictures showing the problems.

With SNAD, you will win the dispute. Seller will have 3 options:
  • offer a partial refund (and you keep the item)
  • Issue a refund without your having to return it
  • accept the return for which she will pay for return shipping. She can either supply the shipping label or ebay will provide it and charge the seller's account

You can refuse the partial if you want.

If the seller doesn't cooperate, you can escalate and ebay will make a decision, 99% likely in your favor, particularly if you include photographic evidence of the item not being as described.

Reactions: caannie
If you open a return request and choose the "not as described" option, the seller's "no return" policy will be out the window.

In your dispute, clearly describe how it was listed as NWT yet had been altered (shorted) and all labels had been removed. Include and attach pictures showing the problems.

With SNAD, you will win the dispute. Seller will have 3 options:
  • offer a partial refund (and you keep the item)
  • Issue a refund without your having to return it
  • accept the return for which she will pay for return shipping. She can either supply the shipping label or ebay will provide it and charge the seller's account

You can refuse the partial if you want.

If the seller doesn't cooperate, you can escalate and ebay will make a decision, 99% likely in your favor, particularly if you include photographic evidence of the item not being as described.

I've done that, got a really nasty and insulting message back from her that I simply might not like it and have buyer's remorse, the pictures I attached were pretty clear, she claimed that in I didn't ask if the labels were removed and that a tag is a tag, doesn't matter if it is a charity shop, I replied that "new with tags" I would expect the labels to be in and not debranded. Not planning to reply further and will leave it up to eBay. I provided pictures. Seriously, could have lived with it being shortened, but ripping off the bottom half of a dress is not quite "was professionally shortened"

This dress should never have been listed as New with Tags. They should have chosen New with Defects or New Other and mention everything, even the black line through the brand.
Oh, and there is no separate law or policy just because they are a charity shop. I am always amazed how many times thrift stores sell fakes (knowingly or not) and think they can just because they are a "charity shop".

Do as BeenBurned suggested and get your money back.

I've done that, got a really nasty and insulting message back from her that I simply might not like it and have buyer's remorse, the pictures I attached were pretty clear, she claimed that in I didn't ask if the labels were removed and that a tag is a tag, doesn't matter if it is a charity shop, I replied that "new with tags" I would expect the labels to be in and not debranded. Not planning to reply further and will leave it up to eBay. I provided pictures. Seriously, could have lived with it being shortened, but ripping off the bottom half of a dress is not quite "was professionally shortened"
She is completely wrong. New with tags means the tags have to be from the original manufacturer, not some tags put on by the charity shop. You shouldn't have to read her mind and ask if the labels have been removed. Actually if the brand labels were obliterated, I would think she shouldn't be able to sell it as that brand.

I wouldn't worry. You should win the return request easily. There is no reason for the seller to be nasty.

Reactions: lulilu and Gabs007
She is completely wrong. New with tags means the tags have to be from the original manufacturer, not some tags put on by the charity shop. You shouldn't have to read her mind and ask if the labels have been removed. Actually if the brand labels were obliterated, I would think she shouldn't be able to sell it as that brand.

I wouldn't worry. You should win the return request easily. There is no reason for the seller to be nasty.

You can see the label vaguely through the black text marker bar that was put over it, I mean charity shops put price labels on items they got donated, often worn labels, it doesn't make them automatically brand new.