What is the propper course of action when one spots an inspired bag or knockoff?

I was recently shopping at a nice mall (not upscale, but it does have a Nordstroms and several other stores that carry authentic designer bags) and I noticed a new store. It had some cute bags and tops in the window, so I went in to check it out. As I looked around, I noticed they had several bags that appeared to be the MJ Stam. I was excited, because Saks was sold out last time I went. Then I noticed that Marc Jacobs wasn't engraved on this kiss lock. There was in fact no designer name on it whatsoever, and the price was only $48. I was infuriated. On my way out, it appeared they had an inspired bayswater and a MIU MIU Bugatti. I'm sure there other bags were knock offs as well. Is there somebody I can report this to? This can't be legal. Or is it OK because they don't put the designer's name on the bag?:confused1:

I'm pretty sure it's not illegal since the actually name isn't on the bag and they aren't selling it as a Marc Jacobs.

I don't like it either though. I have stores in my nearby mall that have those same kinda bags.

It's funny how copyright law works. For example, I can take Yesterday by the Beatles, change 4-5 notes and claim it as a brand new song and get away with it for the most part.

It's not a "direct copy". So it's not considered illegal.

It's funny how copyright law works. For example, I can take Yesterday by the Beatles, change 4-5 notes and claim it as a brand new song and get away with it for the most part.

It's not a "direct copy". So it's not considered illegal.

Good analogy. Everyone and there mother would know the songs was supposed to be just like Yesterday but there would be nothing they could do about it because that version was changed just enough to get around the law.

Handbags on the other hand are not copyrighted or trademarked. So to my knowledge and understanding of the law people can actually make an exact replica of almost any bag and just so long as they don't put the trademarked designers name of the bag (like Marc Jacobs) they are fine legally. There are some things that I believe are trademarked though, like the Burberry plaid.

Last edited:
Honestly, as long as it's inspired and isn't a fake or an exact copy, I don't mind so much. It's a way to make style affordable to people who don't think spending hundreds on a bag is normal. There's no "you must only carry ugly bags with no resemblance to anything cute and/or stylish if you can't afford the original" tradition- owning one of those may make someone very happy, without pushing them into the fake market, until they can get the real thing (if ever).

There's no "you must only carry ugly bags with no resemblance to anything cute and/or stylish if you can't afford the original" tradition
:lolots:

i wouldn't think too much about it, but i might want to get out of that shop ASAP in case I get spotted inside!

It's priced right for what it is, they are fooling no one that it's the REAL thing...

It is totally legal. I seem them all the time. It is just annoying and I would never own one. I like the real deal and as I am sure everyone on this forum does. There is something about have the real thing (qulaity etc)

Correct, it isn't illegal if it doesn't specifically state the designer's name on the knock off bag.

This is true and it requires no "action" if bags are simply designer-inspired. We actually had a kiosk in our local mall that had knock-offs (bags with fake labels, tags, engraved hardware, etc.). I reported them to the mall and the kiosk was gone with a few short days. The mall was probably not aware that the kiosk was selling counterfeit merchandise until I brought it to their attention.