What is the process of buying overseas?

bellabags23

Mar 24, 2009
I was just wondering what the process is if I purchase a bag from Thailand and they mail the bag EMS. Does anyone know if they deliver the package and upon delivery they tell you how much customs fee is? Does anyone know how much customs fees would be if the bag is $1700. Thanks girls

Darn I have been searching the tpf every which way - can anyone tell me (ballpark percentage) what the custom fee assessed when importing a (used) bag from Europe to USA? I had read somewhere 9%, wondering if that is fairly accurate.

I did get assessed once when getting something from FedEx, but can't remember how much.

FYI, when getting from Asia via EMS, I never had any fees. I hear one always has fees from Fedex or UPS shipping...

I just called US Customs, you have to call the Customs number for the port at which your item will arrive and ask for the "Classifcations" dept./person who looks up items and can give you a ballpark #.

I said leather handbag, $800, and he said he could give me a (theoretical) percentage of 9%. But he said that depends upon what they see when they examine it. I suppose this could mean they might decide to assess the new value vs. used price one pays:shrugs: HTH

Thanks eastside; maybe I can call Fedex and ask, since I know they are the service used, and I know the shipper declares full value...

Just trying to decide if the purchase is worth it, considering...

fedex is really handled by the usps once it reaches the States

So if you can't get a clear answer from fedex, try the usps.

fedex is really handled by the usps once it reaches the States

So if you can't get a clear answer from fedex, try the usps.

-a few years ago when I did get an overseas purchase, it was actually Fedex who called me I forget what they asked or told me, but they did ID themselves as So-and_So from Fedex. All this stuff is so complicated, unless I REALLY want something, I usually stick with US sellers...