What is the exact year LV stopped using real brass?

I have 2 speedy. Perforated and DE. both hardware are different. The one on speedy DE get oxidized and changed color. But my perforated speedy's hardware looks shining and new until now. Even the feel of both padlock are different in terms of look, weight and the feeling when I touched. They are definitely made from different material IMO. Even though the perforated is much older. Anyone can explain to me why this happened? Does anyone have same experience? Thanks.

This thread saved my sanity. I was going to send the pre loved Totally MM back to Luxe DH because the zipper pull has a small chip in the plating. I thought LV used solid brass too. Every thing else about the bag is perfect but that zipper had me freaked out. New to the LV obsession. ;)

You see, THIS is the reason I love this forum so darn much. I just only wish I'd known this earlier....I may have passed on a perfect gift to myself. I too, thought the hardware on all LVs were solid brass. I'm feel a little sick now. :Pullhair:

Thanks so much for asking and sharing this.

Hi everybody.
I recently purchased a Pallas and a Greenvich. While in the boutique I forgot asking if the hardware was real brass or just "coated" Looking in the website I noticed that for some Items they write "golden brass" for other "golden metal". So I phoned LV costumer service to inquire if the hardware on both my Pallas and my Greewich is brass ..... The SA seemed quite puzzled and after a while she answerd "Yes, It's brass!" even if on the website for both my bags the hardware is described as "golden metal" (at least on the Italian one).
I really don't know.....
Someone of you ladies have the same bags and more precise information about the hardware on them?
Thank you in advance for any replies.

It's all coated metal. The gold will eventually chip away with time and use. It's definitely not solid brass. You need to purchase a bag in the 4k range I'm guessing to get quality hardware.

In the last two years I've purchased 5 bags, one wallet and a milla clutch. Three of them I use all the time. I recently noticed my portobello pm zipper pull turning a bit silver and took it in to the Brussels, Belgium store (where it was purchased). The woman said that no bags are made with solid brass anymore. She said only the trunks. Then she said the metal they use is tin (she said it in French, so I looked it up on translate). I was stunned! I asked what they plate it with and she couldn't answer me. Not even the manager. I'm really surprised that they don't get this question more often? They should know what their hardware is made of as Louis Vuitton is known for the beautiful hardware. I don't understand why they don't use a solid brass (maybe with more zinc as it won't turn green) because it's not like brass is expensive. It's something I make sure I mention everytime I am in there and purchase anything because they should know that they are only hurting themselves in the long run as when these bags get older, nobody will want to pay much for them which will eventually hurt their long time 'tradition'. If anyone has a really good sales associate in the States, could you ask them what the hardware is made of as well? I'm just wondering if the one I spoke with knew what she was talking about. I have called the customer service line and they have told me that they don't know and that it's different for every bag, so I'm having a hard time just getting a straight answer.

In the last two years I've purchased 5 bags, one wallet and a milla clutch. Three of them I use all the time. I recently noticed my portobello pm zipper pull turning a bit silver and took it in to the Brussels, Belgium store (where it was purchased). The woman said that no bags are made with solid brass anymore. She said only the trunks. Then she said the metal they use is tin (she said it in French, so I looked it up on translate). I was stunned! I asked what they plate it with and she couldn't answer me. Not even the manager. I'm really surprised that they don't get this question more often? They should know what their hardware is made of as Louis Vuitton is known for the beautiful hardware. I don't understand why they don't use a solid brass (maybe with more zinc as it won't turn green) because it's not like brass is expensive. It's something I make sure I mention everytime I am in there and purchase anything because they should know that they are only hurting themselves in the long run as when these bags get older, nobody will want to pay much for them which will eventually hurt their long time 'tradition'. If anyone has a really good sales associate in the States, could you ask them what the hardware is made of as well? I'm just wondering if the one I spoke with knew what she was talking about. I have called the customer service line and they have told me that they don't know and that it's different for every bag, so I'm having a hard time just getting a straight answer.

Very interesting!!!! I did ask when I called the 1800 number because the website says brass on some items and some say gold toned hardware. She said its all brass. I don't believe it. The d rings on the outside of my speedy b 30 were all banged up and discolored....I had it one year! They sent it off and replaced the rings but that should have never happened. I have several old bags and this never happened. Please post if you find more info

My first LV bags, a Papillion, a Cartouchiere and a carry-on I can't remember the name of, were all purchased in the 1970's ( my Dad's gifts to me). They were used constantly, but carefully...by the mid 1980's every single one had it's hardware worn down to white metal. The "brass" I thought I had been so in love with, was merely base metal, and looked cheap. I was so angry at LV, I stopped using the brand for twenty years. However, my trunk has real brass...but I have to say, in all fairness, it is VERY heavy and durable, for good reason, and so would probably not look great on the finer handbags. It also dulls quickly, needs constant polishing and is like dealing with horse harness brass.

Needless to say, I've returned to LV...with a passion!
Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!

Very interesting!!!! I did ask when I called the 1800 number because the website says brass on some items and some say gold toned hardware. She said its all brass. I don't believe it. The d rings on the outside of my speedy b 30 were all banged up and discolored....I had it one year! They sent it off and replaced the rings but that should have never happened. I have several old bags and this never happened. Please post if you find more info

It hasn't been brass on handbags for at least 15 years