What is the duty free limit for usa parcel?

No, it's $200 for merchandise, $100 for gifts. Above that, it's at the discretion of the customs agent.

(The $2K limit is different - at $2K additional paperwork requirements kick in and you may need a broker to help clear the item through customs.)

LouiseyPeasey said:
No, it's $200 for merchandise, $100 for gifts. Above that, it's at the discretion of the customs agent.

(The $2K limit is different - at $2K additional paperwork requirements kick in and you may need a broker to help clear the item through customs.)

thanks.
How much % for duty if gift value is over 100usd?

It's not a fixed percent - it totally depends on the details of the item. Quite often they will just let items through with no duty even if they are over the limit. Use the mail service, not a courier - UPS or FedEx will charge an additional brokerage fee that can be quite steep.

It's not a fixed percent - it totally depends on the details of the item. Quite often they will just let items through with no duty even if they are over the limit. Use the mail service, not a courier - UPS or FedEx will charge an additional brokerage fee that can be quite steep.

As LouiseyPeasey said, there is no straight answer for it.

Here is my cases. When I ordered several leather bags about $1000 from Europe to US, they were charged around $80. They were sent by DHL and the charged amount was included the brokerage fee. An another time, an item was about $2000, no duty at all!

I second LouiseyPeasey, to use your country's post office service to send it to your friend. Somehow they don't charge duty strictly like other courier services. Please remember it takes longer delivery time because of the holiday season!

I want to ship a bag to my friend in USA.I want to know what's the duty free limit for USA parcel?I don't want my friend to pay duty for the parcel.thanks!
Where are you shipping from? if you use your countries mail service there should be no duties to pay at all, when it comes in to the U.S. it is transferred to the USPS which does not enforce duties. For example if you live in England and use Royal Mail once it gets to the U.S. it is delivered by the USPS.

Where are you shipping from? if you use your countries mail service there should be no duties to pay at all, when it comes in to the U.S. it is transferred to the USPS which does not enforce duties. For example if you live in England and use Royal Mail once it gets to the U.S. it is delivered by the USPS.
The USPS doesn't enforce duties, Customs and Border Patrol does. When an item comes in by whatever means, it goes through customs inspection, and CBP decides what to charge, if anything. The thing about USPS is that they do not act as a broker, so they have no vested interest in your item being taxed, because they don't get fees. So quite often, packages that come via USPS do not get charged duty (by the decision of CBP), but sometimes they do.

The USPS doesn't enforce duties, Customs and Border Patrol does. When an item comes in by whatever means, it goes through customs inspection, and CBP decides what to charge, if anything. The thing about USPS is that they do not act as a broker, so they have no vested interest in your item being taxed, because they don't get fees. So quite often, packages that come via USPS do not get charged duty (by the decision of CBP), but sometimes they do.

Ummm ok your right so USPS does not act as a broker and does not enforce the fees bc they have no vested interest in the fees. I think she can still get the idea of the point I'm trying to make. I was just trying to make it short and to the point.:okay:

Ummm ok your right so USPS does not act as a broker and does not enforce the fees bc they have no vested interest in the fees. I think she can still get the idea of the point I'm trying to make. I was just trying to make it short and to the point.:okay:

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to jump on you, honest! I thought you were saying that items sent via USPS won't ever have duty. Sorry if I misread you.

i purchased a leather handbag from japan and it was shipped via EMS and delivered by USPS and valued at around $700.00. I was charged 9% plus a $4.95 fee. i do a lot of international shopping via Ebay and this was the only time I had to pay duty.