What is the difference between Deerskin and Caviar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kianat

Dec 6, 2007
Hi Chanel Fans...
I've went into the Search area...for what is the difference between a Deerskin and Caviar? But it said 0 Searches was a match.
So...I hope someone out there can help me out.
I have a Cerf bag...one minute I am told that I have a Caviar Leather but then...I was told that a Cerf bag, means Deerskin...but I can't tell the difference. Please Advice!
Thank you all in advance!:tup:

Hi Chanel Fans!
Oh yeh...I forgot to add...So..what I am wondering is...Is my Cerf bag made out of Deerskin or Caviar? And are the texture different from the 2?
I had asked one of the SA's...and she told me that the Cerf bag, had never come in a smooth leather. Since I do not know what the texture of the Deerskin is...I have nothing to compare it with.

Thank you all!

The Cerf tote is made of deerskin leather. Deerskin feels softer than caviar, the caviar feels more pebbled, like Swanky said.

Also, the caviar leather will stay more rigid while using it, while the deerskin leather will become softer and more slouchy over time.

BTW: deerskin means cerf in French ;)

Hi Beautylicious,

Thank you. My Cerf tote...has little pepples on it...its like little tiny dots. That is still consider a Deerskin too?
Cuz' I also have a GST...and the design of the leather looks alike.
I had somehow pictured that a deerskin would be something like a smooth leather w/no textures. I hope I am making sense.
Thank you!

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this thread (which I'm gonna!), but I was told by a couple of s/a's that the Cerf is made of calfskin leather, which in this case has a pebbled texture like caviar. Deerskin is pebbled too; however, it is a lot thicker and heavier than caviar calfskin, as well as softer and more flexible. When the Cerf was first introduced it was in deerskin and customers were complaining about the bag being too heavy due to the size, so Chanel changed the leather and kept the name Cerf.

I tend to believe this because having owned the deerskin luxury bowler which was heavy when filled, I can imagine what the Cerf felt like to people who stuffed it to capacity!

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much roey!!!!
Thank you for answering my question. Especially the description of the Deerskin leather...which is Pebbled too??
Thank you!!!
You just don't understand how much you had helped me. I was thinking that the deerskin was a smooth textured leather.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this thread (which I'm gonna!), but I was told by a couple of s/a's that the Cerf is made of calfskin leather, which in this case has a pebbled texture like caviar. Deerskin is pebbled too; however, it is a lot thicker and heavier than caviar calfskin, as well as softer and more flexible. When the Cerf was first introduced it was in deerskin and customers were complaining about the bag being too heavy due to the size, so Chanel changed the leather and kept the name Cerf.

I tend to believe this because having owned the deerskin luxury bowler which was heavy when filled, I can imagine what the Cerf felt like to people who stuffed it to capacity!

That would make sense, Roey. I thought my (older style) Cerf was very heavy, even before it was stuffed :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.