What is the best way to ship internationally?

smallbag

O.G.
Oct 1, 2007
I've never shipped outside of the U.S., so I don't really know how this works. Does customs charge a fee? My buyer's from Australia. I want to ship it to her in the cheapest way possible, so she doesn't feel like she's getting ripped off but at the same time I want to make sure everything's insured and tracked. Any advice would be wonderful..TIA!!!

P.S. I'm sending a small leather jacket, so I'm guessing the total weight would be somewhere between 1-3lbs.

If the package value including postage exceeds AUD$1000 then the buyer will have to pay Customs fees prior to delivery, Customs will assess the item when it arrives in Australia.

I have received packages both via USPS Global Express and USPS Priority International and they both take about the same time to get to Australia. From what i understand, express is significantly more expensive, so unless the item was expensive (and required tracking), I dont mind paying less for shipping and recieving it via USPS Priority International.

I have received packages both via USPS Global Express and USPS Priority International and they both take about the same time to get to Australia. From what i understand, express is significantly more expensive, so unless the item was expensive (and required tracking), I dont mind paying less for shipping and recieving it via USPS Priority International.

From a seller's point of view, though, she is required to provide tracking, regardless of the value of the item. Otherwise if she has a dishonest buyer who claims she didn't receive the item, the seller is out of luck and will lose a claim if one is placed against her.

Thank you SO much everybody!! Love the advice. Ok, so I've decided to ship via Express Mail International (Global Express is $20 more). Shipping will be around $30, but I get free $100 insurance and tracking. And since shipping is under AUD$1000, my buyer won't have to worry about customs fees.

Does that sound right?

This is taken from the Aust Customs website - so it doesn't necessarily have to be marked as a gift.

"All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less.

Note: However, where there are multiple packages to the same addressee in Australia from a single consignor overseas that arrive at about the same time, then the value of all packages will be combined for duty and tax assessment purposes"

Even if it's marked as a gift,if the value is over a certain amount,custom still has to be paid.
I prefer Express mail though 'cause it's much faster than priority..and like everyone else said,tracking is also provided.

I've never shipped outside of the U.S., so I don't really know how this works. Does customs charge a fee? My buyer's from Australia. I want to ship it to her in the cheapest way possible, so she doesn't feel like she's getting ripped off but at the same time I want to make sure everything's insured and tracked. Any advice would be wonderful..TIA!!!

P.S. I'm sending a small leather jacket, so I'm guessing the total weight would be somewhere between 1-3lbs.

I have used a parcel forwarding service in the past called shipito.com. They were great; charged me resonably lower than their competitiors. They ship anywhere in the world. Hope this helps!