What is the best chanel, for a first time buyer ?

Jan 29, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this subforum. I'm always in the balenciaga subforum and just recently decided to expand my collection and would like to add a chanel in the mix. So I've come for advice on what would be the best chanel purchase for a first time buyer ? What bag/style is a staple and must be in every bag collection ?

Alittle about me:

-i love big bags and usually need quite abit of space so I can fit everything I need during the daytime. I usually carry around my makeup bag, a book/magazine to read while on the subway, wallet, my planner, and some other small essentials.

-i'm very casual person.

-i need something that can take a beating and still look fabulous at the end of the day. I don't baby my bags...I use them/take them everywhere...wheather it's socializing with friends, friday night dinners with the family, small trips on the weekends, etc.

Anyways I'm so excited to finally purchase a chanel..I never would've thought that in a one years time of saving that I'd be able to purchase it for myself considering that I'm a full-time student and only work less than part-time right now.

thanks guys!!!!:yahoo:

GST seems like it may be for you. I personally don't think it's that big in comparison to some of the bigger bags out there and I think it's a bit bulky so if possible, I'd definitely try it (or anything else!) on before buying.

You may also look in to the Ultimate Soft, however, it is more delicate so if you don't want a high maintenance bag, this may not be the one for you.

Though it depends on your personal purse style, I have to say either go with the Jumbo flap bag in caviar leather, or the GST... both styles are timeless chanel pieces that will look good dressed up or down. You can get a good look at both styles in the reference library. Myself, I'm more of a tote girl, so I have a gst (which is great for school- cause I'm a student like you) and I am able to carry a ton of stuff in it! Good Luck deciding, and let us know what you end up buying!!!:P

I would suggest the gst or the baby cabas. The gst is much more structured than the Bal bags you are used to, but it is a great tote and can carry the items you mentioned. The baby cabas is a softer leather tote. You definitely should try them on first. I would also suggest you check out Saks during an ECG event if possible. With the recent Chanel price increase, at least you can get a gift card with your purchase.Good luck in you decision.

i'm glad to have read your post, hellosunshine. i'm a fellow b-bag-er and i'd be going to europe in january. of course going to europe means i HAVE to buy a bag there and I"m contemplating between a bbag or a chanel. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

good luck with finding a great Chanel =)

I am a BBag addict and love my baby cabas. Although I like the classic Chanel styles, I have finally admitted to myself that they are just not "me" yet. I would go with the baby cabas if I were you!