what is my problem??

tbestes

O.G.
Oct 27, 2006
It seems every couple of weeks I find another bag that I MUST have. Granted, I am not accumulating, but selling as I bring new ones in. I almost never recoup more than 1/2 retail, though, so over time this is an expensive habit.

I thought I was done and happy a week or two ago, but then I saw another bag I think I have to have, so I go back to my collection and figure out which one or two I'll part with (and these were "perfect" too, as little as 4-6 months ago).

Anyone else going through this? And how do you stop? I used to be (gasp) a ONE HANDBAG girl for 1-2 years at a time. Now I keep a constant rotation of about 10 bags. And even though I am excited and in love for a month or so, invariably I'll find something else later that is better. The oldest bag in my existing collection was purchased in August of last year! If I had to count, I would bet at least 30 have come and gone through my house in the last 12 months. I really have better things to be spending my time and money on, but this is almost like a drug for me.

I believe just about everyone on TPF goes through this. Are you buying at retail or sales? Sales make us stupid. We buy things just because it's a great deal and don't really think it through. Also are you buying online or in-store? I can't tell you how many times, I've seen a bag online that I had to have, but when I see it IRL, I pass on it. Pretty much all my bag mistakes stem from these two things. Oh and the almost-HG syndrome.

I'm in a fairly remote location, so most of my damage is done online. And I agree, I'd be much better off if I didn't buy anything I didn't see in person. After waiting for it to arrive, however, I can't help "trying it out," and after that, I don't feel OK about returning it. Not to mention it takes me at least a month to fall out of love with a bag, so it's rarely a case of "I hate this and must return it now."

I'm somewhat comforted knowing that I'm not the only one going through this. I want to figure out how to reach the satisfaction point - or maybe there's not one, and that's the real problem. ;)

i totally hear you; im the same way... but even with one in - one out-rule, you lose alot of money....i think beingin here makes it all the worse, there are just sooo many temptations and som many new goodies to look at everywhere. The cure, i guess, would be cold turkey... or a ban from being in here at ALL....

I believe just about everyone on TPF goes through this. Are you buying at retail or sales? Sales make us stupid. We buy things just because it's a great deal and don't really think it through. Also are you buying online or in-store? I can't tell you how many times, I've seen a bag online that I had to have, but when I see it IRL, I pass on it. Pretty much all my bag mistakes stem from these two things. Oh and the almost-HG syndrome.

This is a forum for true bag obsessed people! :nuts: Think of it as the Alcoholic's Anonymous for Bags! :biggrin: It's a very tough addiction and it looks like you have it bad! If it gets really worse, seek help but I don't think it will come to that! Satisfy yourself by endlessly shopping store after store looking at bags and if you find you've fallen for six, then you know there's a problem! Perhaps you are substituting your need for handbags for something else? Who knows? Just don't be hard on yourself!

Think optimistically that now that you are aware you are having this spending problem, you will slow down! I have confidence in you! - Don't worry! ;)

Price is a big factor for me-I think it really helps me not to jump at all the beautiful things, which abound, but are uncomfortable for me to shell out that much money for. I have 9 bags right now, and I sold one which was having a few stains, for a new one that is now happily sitting in my purse pile-but otherwise they have stayed the same. Thankfully, after forcing myself to stick to the $500-$550 price range for a leather bag, and only buy things that are practical and at a large discount, I also won't too much of a hit if I decide to sell something that's NWT for another one. That said, I think living vicariously through other people's purchases also help! It's nice to look at the gorgeous bags people get, and save them for if I hit it really big in the future :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP, If it makes you feel any better, I just browsed Bloomies. The subliminal advertising got to me and picked three bags and placed them in my cart to decide. I just might buy one! Talk about bonkers!!

I was like that for a couple of years...I got really into handbags around 2006 and it's been a pretty constant loop of buy/sell/trade until January of 2009. I did a little bit of damage last year, but nothing serious.

As it stands, I haven't purchased a new handbag myself since October, I got one as a gift in November.

I think I might aim for MAYBE a twice a year type thing, but right now i'm more into using wristlets on a daily basis so it's a much cheaper thing to go after!

Sometimes it helps when I carry a bag I haven't carried in months. I find myself falling in love with it all over again. If you have a problem, maybe you should take a break from tpf or stop looking online.
I know many times I wish my friends were as into bags as I am so I could lust after theirs instead of wanting to get new ones for myself.

... Perhaps you are substituting your need for handbags for something else? ...

WELL WRITTEN, BgaHolic! I've finally figured out this is ME! I can't bear to admit what it is I really need though, it would be very hurtful to at least one person in my life, so I endlessly buy/sell/fall-in-love with ... handbags. Although I think I've FINALLY found the perfect style. Maybe. Most likely. I'll see in a month or so. After I clean out the OMG Closet to make room for the new ...

oops.

:nuts: