what is more important to you?

I just got a black city that I am completely in love with! It is the leather of my dreams :love: Thick, smooshy, soft, distressed but not veiny, overall just AWESOME!

However, the black isn't a jet black, and even though my bf says I'm crazy, I swear I see hints of gray in it (esp. outdoors!) that I sometimes wonder maybe they sold me an Anthra by accident or something :wondering (They didn't, haha, I'm just paranoid sometimes)

I handpicked my bag and selected the one I thought was most saturated (Holt Renfrew's selection wasn't the greatest. GH black bags were SUPER black, but it seemed like the RH cities got the leftover dye from the GH or something :shrugs: It was a VERY noticable difference in saturation). Now I'm wondering if I should return it and wait til next season or until I find a jet black bag.

This is where you guys come in! If you COULDN'T have both (I just have bad luck and haven't found a bag I wanted with both characteristics), which comes first - leather or color (saturation or hg color)?

Since it bothered you enough to post your question, I think you should return it, and keep looking for your perfect new bag. Or buy an older, used one that has perfect leather and is deep black. You should be completely thrilled with a purchase like this. :yes:

i think you should ask yourself what is more important to you rather than to us...
everyone has different preference...

from your words, i think you are not satisfy with the bag...i would suggest you to return it and find a jet black one later...

personally i was thinking of MAYBE leaning towards, keeping it *shrugs* dont know yet lol. like i said, the leather is awesome. Jet black bags just do not pop up my way and i don't think i could buy a used bag :S Picture - i would post but it turns out dark black in some photo (sooo not like real life) or super gray. My camera either sucks or the weird black is just hard to capture.

I just was wondering what people thought about color and leather (not my situation specifically, but just when buying anything balenciaga leather), esp since I keep reading on this forum how hard it was to get a jet black bag, and the fact I've never seen one in real life.

Last edited:
I think the ladies are right - it really depends on what matters to you... For me, good leather is paramount... but I would also be bothered if the bag isn't a shade that I like. I would suggest that , if you're not entirely happy with it, you should return this bag and hunt for the perfect one :smile:

I have found the FW09 RH black bals to not be as saturated as SS09. But the leather, as you mentioned, is superior IMO.

This is really poor advice, but what I would do is keep the city you have now, and later when you find a jet black bag that you love, buy that one too! One cannot have too many black balenciagas!! They can be special for different reasons.

the hunt for a perfect black bal may takes a while..so you will need to put that in consideration as well...if you can live without your black city now...i will really suggest you to return it and wait for the new shipment and see if you can find a really jet black one?

for me, i am also waiting for the perfect black city that suits my needs...i am not in a rush, so i know it will show up...sooner or later!

Goodluck with your decision!

For me, if it's black, it's black. I don't really mind either its jet black or not. The leather's more important. If it's other color, then I'll think about it.

From what I read, the color's more important to you. If you're not happy with it, you should return it. JMO.

for me.... I would choose a bag with better leather over better color saturation. I wouldn't want a faded bag of course but leather quality is what makes or breaks the deal for me.

It sounds like color saturation is really important to you, I would return it and wait for your perfect bag. ;) You don't want to have any regrets with Bal bags..for what they cost, it should be PERFECT in your eyes...

Last edited:
return it if you have doubts... but in my opinion 09 blacks are not really that deep jet black, my ss 09 city has also grey undertones (coming out more and more) and the black city in cverhoffs avatar too... guess it will be difficult to find a 09 jet black... so if you really want a blacker black you should go for an older bag. personally i would keep it, great leather and great colour ;)

Since it bothered you enough to post your question, I think you should return it, and keep looking for your perfect new bag. Or buy an older, used one that has perfect leather and is deep black. You should be completely thrilled with a purchase like this. :yes:

ITA!! :biggrin:

To your question, I actually care more about saturation, if its my hg color but patchy, then I will give it a pass. I wouldn't be completely happy anyway.

I actually like black bbags that are not blackblack, you can find so many other bag that are... BUT if you really want it black:er you could use some black shoepolish on it.