What is Monogram/Damier Canvas made of?

Either way, I like its durability and could care less what it's made out of. I'm getting LV's for their craftsmenship and longevity. That's what I look for in a bag besides its obvious style. ;)

The only ones with vinyl now are the Charms collection bags which consist of calf leather for the trim, and a silk scarf covered with crystal vinyl.
The rest of the bags in the monogram and MC lines are coated canvas. Epi, Taiga and Utah are leather.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if this is a stupid question, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Louis Vuitton... But after I got an Olav PM I'm completely in love with LV.
I've looked carefully on the LV site and in catalogs and noticed they are carefull to call collections like Epi, Nomade, Taiga, Suhali, Utah, etc. all leather but Monogram and Damier is Canvas.
I'm guessing it's not leather, so what the hell is canvas?
Again, I'm a newbie so sorry if this is stupid.:shame:

hi and welcome, I'm not 100% with the truth about canvas but on the tags it says 100% cowhide leather therfore it is leather, but it has been printed with the symbols, then treated with the magical ingredient X coat which makes waterproof and scrachproof and extreamly durable! Some people think its plastic, i dont know how true that is but get a second opionion just in case im wrong!

no, it's not leather. It's a highly treated canvas. . . it's been brought up numerous times, not a dumb question!
I'll try and find a thread w/ a better explanation.
The cowhide is the vachetta leather.

I was told by my SA that it is fine quality egyptian cotton that is hand-coated for durability with a leather-like liquid substance that dries onto the cotton to give a leather-like feel. Then the damier/monogram prints are silk screened onto the coated canvas.

naughtymanolo said:
can i ask why does both my wallet and ipod case both say 100% cowhide leather on the tags when they dont have any vachetta on them at all?

With your wallet and iPod case, they are referring to the cross-grain leather lining that makes up the inside of the wallet and iPod case. My wallet tag says, "Coated Fabric" (for the mono canvas) and "Cowhide Leather Lining".

ETA: I think LivinLuxuriously's explanation of mono canvas is the most accurate I have heard. It is definitely no plastic. It would smell awful if it was.

ArmCandyLuvr said:
With your wallet and iPod case, they are referring to the cross-grain leather lining that makes up the inside of the wallet and iPod case. My wallet tag says, "Coated Fabric" (for the mono canvas) and "Cowhide Leather Lining".

ETA: I think LivinLuxuriously's explanation of mono canvas is the most accurate I have heard. It is definitely no plastic. It would smell awful if it was.

Yeah - my SA is the head of repairs in her division - so she knows alot of the technical stuff - like stitch materials, the nitty gritty. I was shocked when I saw how many people here were saying it was straight vinyl or plastic no less - cough it up to virtual insanity man.