what is it what is it what is it

ROFL rose. not that anyone can go wrong with an hermes bag, but some are just so super right - especially when you've seen the poster hold lots of other totally fabulous bags and thought they were all terrific and then a particular one appears and it surpasses all the others. weird. i want to know the secret.

I look totally awkward with an Evelyn, so just as there seems to be a just 'right' bag there are also a lot of 'totally wrong' bags, H or not.

shoes you were the inspiration for this thread. seen you holding a few bags, but this one in your avatar was so right on you.

And I'm in total agreement with this. :yes: I thought the exact same thing when I saw shoes holding that cognac ostrich Bolide; it is just so perfect on her, even though I love her carrying her Brighton Blue Bolide. Another one that always stops me in my tracks is Fesdu with her blue jean Kelly.

HHeely, I guess what I mean is that perhaps our own personalities may inform our impression of what looks "right" on someone else. Subconsciously, perhaps.

ITA with you, I am not a croc or ostrich girl, but sometimes when I see these bags on others, it is not the bag as much as the combination of the bag and the person that is just so elegant and breathtaking. Like VB and that red and white kelly, which would be awful for me! But I wonder if I feel like that because that pic of her with it evokes something I cannot name (oh wait, maybe I can name it....LOL)

OMG! And remember that little red kelly of star's? (where is that girl, anyway)....They were just so perfect together.

S'mom, by the way, I have that ding ding ding feeling every time I see you with a bag, so whatever "it" is, you've got a heap of it!!! The massai description is so funny.

Another example, as much as I love the bolide, the orange chevre rigid made me look like a purse thief, whereas the marron fonce kelly looked and felt like an old friend. So there is definitely a "je ne sais quoi" thing going on, beyond what we may "like" in a bag.

HH Actually, I was just thinking about Noisette because that was a bag I was so crazy about getting and then once here I found it too "young" looking for me. I don't know. I think it was the combination of the construction and the color. Because when I saw the Marron Box Sellier Kelly (which is in the same color family as the Noisette) I was a gonner and when it came home and I picked that bag up.......I just knew that it was perfect for me. And I think it really is.

oh rose, yes, every h bag doesn't suit everyone. i meant if someone plays is safe with a bag that is close to perfect, it will look good on her, but how do we get the winning combination.

fesdu look, look what maggieD wrote about you. so sweet! and i am terribly curious to know which bolide will suit me perfectly.
love what maggieD wrote on page 1 - 'maybe what i like and what likes me aren't the same.'
i think i would rather find the purse that likes me, rather than limit myself to choosing a purse based on my hang-ups. lol so who is the authority on determining when it's a winner. seems we all have similarly strong feelings about certain posters and certain bags (careful - bad road to go down naming the really "wow" great matches - that road is paved with people's feelings you know). unless of course someone cares to contradict that and say that shoes looks like crap with that bolide ROFLMAO (shoes, i only make this joke because i hope deeply that you know i'm kidding!!!)

cobalty i agree. it's not about a bag being best, it's about the combo of the bag with the right person that just strikes a particular cord.

great, they have their bags, and i have thought-provoking threads,:lol: but no answers :lol: :lol:

HH - Hmm, I don't know. Sometimes I think, at least from my perspective as the observer, it's a lot to do with the shape of the bag in relation to the body shape of the person wearing it. That's not everything, but it's certainly a factor. A lot also has to do with personality, if that's in any way portrayed in manner of dress, posture, etc.

Me, I'm a square/rectangular bag kind of girl normally, so I'm really more of a birkin/kelly person. It's those squared corners that seem to suit me, though I couldn't really tell you why exactly. Maybe the defined edges complement my personality? I don't know. :shrugs:

A lot also has to do with personality, if that's in any way portrayed in manner of dress, posture, etc.

okay, so when you say personality, do you mean the bag, the size, the leather, the color ALL have to compliment it? do you think there is a formula?

yes, as the observer, that's what i'm trying to figure out, why some things work, to the observer. (and ideally i would like to figure out how to accurately observe myself.) is it all subjective? that would be comforting, actually, but then this thread would be stupid ROFLMAO because that would mean there is no right bag for anyone. well, though there would still be bags that looked right to different observers. okay, so back to square one, why do some bags seem to look especially good?
shopmom really seems to know herself. hey shopmom, tell us what you know.

I think it's all subjective. Have you read The Sartorialist? Scott is always posting looks he finds intriguing and the comments are always in split camps. PLENTY of looks that he thinks are superb I find look just like an awful mishmash.

For example, this guy:

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html#8678246015361205698

To me that just looks SO SO SO WRONG.

Whereas this girl - crazy as her entire ensemble is - looks perfect to me. (and her bag shape suits her 'personal style' - or at least whatever it was on that day)

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html#4501942973339191928

(Not that I would ever wear that. But, to each her own, right?)

And I'm in total agreement with this. :yes: I thought the exact same thing when I saw shoes holding that cognac ostrich Bolide; it is just so perfect on her, even though I love her carrying her Brighton Blue Bolide. Another one that always stops me in my tracks is Fesdu with her blue jean Kelly.

MaggieD :heart::heart::heart::heart:!

unless of course someone cares to contradict that and say that shoes looks like crap with that bolide ROFLMAO (shoes, i only make this joke because i hope deeply that you know i'm kidding!!!)

:boxing: :boxing:I'm ready lol!! Thank you HH for the compliment! I find it interesting because I am generally drawn to the brighter colors so this cognac is of course more of a neutral - yet it's an OSTRICH!!!! So it's perfect...perhaps that's what I feel comfortable with - I have described myself before as simple with a splash??!! I have these awesome boldy printed velvet pants from Oilily that I love to wear for the shock effect sometimes lol!! Or perhaps it's because I know the retail price and I got such a GREAT deal this time lol!! Can't be said for some of my past purchases :shrugs: ...

Thanks MaggieD also! No wonder I love coming here - it's so good for my ego lol!!!