What is it about MAC makeup???

bluejinx

~~Shayna~~
Dec 15, 2009
This isn't me coming down on mac makeup. I just want to know why the OBSESSION with it? Until last week I always assumed that they were just an overhyped overpriced brand with good PR. But I went in to look last week and they are the cheapest makeup counter in the department store! Is that it? Because of price? I own nothing by thois brand.

I've played around with friends eyeshadows before but I don't think they have the BEST color pay off. Not bad at all, but I think urban decay is better. Yet a lot of my co-workers and the odd friend swear by MAC ONLY. Why?

What is it about mac that makes everyone so crazy? And no matter how good it is, if you aren't open to trying other brands or products how do you know its the best? Brands and products are always evolving.

Ok. I'm done! I'd love some insight.

::sigh::

Where do i begin? LOL. Makeup is such a personal choice so I can only speak for myself. I used to be a hardcore MAC lover. I was not once of those who wouldnt give other brands a chance....but MAC was always my first choice.

I think it was

1--Because of the selection. They come out with a million different collections a month and its easy to get sucked into the hype. Also because of their million selections, it was always easy for me to find something to suit my skintone and needs

2-They are affordable. As you mentioned they are less expensive than a lot of department store brands and this makes the brand attractive. Especially to those who are just starting to experiment with makeup, young or old

3-The quality and formulas. I do agree with you that there are other brands far more superior in their eyeshadow quality such as Urban Decay. HOWEVER--MAC has a few more things going for them such as the non glittery mess that Urban Decay put in most of their shadows and the color selection. I have a million nude shadows and a professional everyday look that are my MAC. And only a handful by UD because most of them are extremely bold.

Also I really enjoy the lipstick/lipgloss formulas and selection. Most are nice and creamy and have a decent wear time.

4-The Marketing. MAC does marketing very well with all of the new releases, collections and makeovers that they offer.
It keeps their consumer interested. Do a YOUTUBE search on MAC and you will see what I mean.

I have been wearing MAC since college but have grown tired of it. I went overboard and I have more MAC shadows, lippies and blushes than I care to admit. The brand just got a little old to me and I've moved on. Not to say that I won't ever purchase again because I have my staple colors that I love.
I just don't follow all of the new releases and collections any longer. I became bored with it all

Thats my 2 cents. :biggrin:

I personally love their selection of eyeshadows, pigments and glitters. The only other things I really get from them are the Pro items, like Mixing Mediums.

Selection, mostly.
They have crazy enormous selection and my favorites from them are lipsticks. I'm mostly a Chanel girl, but I don't really think theirs are worth the extra $15.50. I'll continue to buy Chanel for the colors, but MAC is really the best for the money.
One thing that really makes me like them, though, is how they really care about their customers and if I've had a problem, it always gets resolved quickly and courteously whether it's in-store or online.

I love the variety of color choices and probably have 55+ eyeshadows plus a few pigments!

And I love the price points - their mascaras are about half the price of other department store brands and are just as great quality.

I also love the help I get at my favorite MAC counter at the Nordstrom where I shop. Those girls rock, know their stuff and are always super helpful.

Now, I am a huge fan of their eyeshadows, liners, blushes, mascaras and lipsticks/glosses. Oh and their brushes too :tup:. Their foundations just don't work for me.

XXXOO PG

When I started using make up there were 4 colors on the market.

Pool hall chalk blue eyeshadow, and white eyeshadow.

Red lipstick, pink lipstick.

THAT WAS IT!!!

When I discovered MAC, NARS, Urban Decay; I tap danced all the way to the cosmetic counters, and all the way home.

The textures, colors, product options, EVERYTHING, made me a happy woman.
There was no such thing as lip gloss then. I can understand why this generation might not be "WOWED" by the selections, but to an older woman like me, this is paradise.

I'm not a MAC fiend. Never really was, simply because everyone loved it and I wanted something else.. so I went over to the Urban Decay side.

But, I definitely agree with the color selection. Not too many brands have foundation undertones for both red and yellow, a huge selection of eyeshadows and lipsticks with different finishes/textures.

The marketing and packaging are both awesome. Packaging is simple and sleek. And of course the affordability. Not too many people are going to pay $23 for a single eyeshadow, $26 for a lipgloss, $50 on a foundation, etc

And again with the foundations, a lot of brands say 90% of them don't cater to WOC at all. Ok maybe they do.. but we come in more than just 2-3 shades of brown. MAC has realized this.. a long time ago whereas some brands are barely getting this (or maybe they don't care?).

I've never been a big MAC fan but I gave them a try anyway. I got a bunch of base face makeup and it just doesn't compare to MUFE. I also started getting acne after using the studio tech. Their brushes are great I hear but for me it was really hit or miss. I have one 187 that sheds like crazy but I love my 168 and 190.

They do have some really cute stuff and a wide range of color but I'll stick with MUFE and NARS.

Op, I'm glad you asked this because I always wondered what the draw to Mac was myself and am curious to hear. I'm a make up junky and have tried almost everything, but Mac just didn't make me happy.

For the best eye shadow collection (having every possible shade of color in every possible formula and long staying power and really good color pay-off), I like Shu Uemura. I have never had to wear an eye primer with their colors.

I remember being at the Shu Uemura counter in Singapore and saying to the SA things like: "I'm looking for a neutral white.. but not matte, but not sparkly, just a little something extra, but not too much, and also I need it to be warm." And: "I want a green that is sort of more yellow tinted but not yellow-y, just not in the blue range, but very light, but the lightness can't bring out the yellow more.. the color has to stay true.. oh and I'd like it to be matte..." And for each thing I'd ask the SA would nod and pull out exactly what I was looking for!

But you do need a counter that has all the colors.

And, that's where availability comes into play. I LOVE eyeshadow, but if I can't walk into a store and find a line, I have to draw the line at making a purchase. MAC is very saturated and well known, which is another reason ppl are drawn to them. I still get puzzled looks when I tell a person who is not a makeup enthusiast that I'm wearing Stila, Makeup Forever and even Urban Decay.

And, that's where availability comes into play. I LOVE eyeshadow, but if I can't walk into a store and find a line, I have to draw the line at making a purchase. MAC is very saturated and well known, which is another reason ppl are drawn to them. I still get puzzled looks when I tell a person who is not a makeup enthusiast that I'm wearing Stila, Makeup Forever and even Urban Decay.

Stila is another one I'm mystified about. It just isn't that great to me. I hate the Kitten color: it absolutely is NOT universally flattering (especially on strong yellow undertones). Their glosses don't make my lips looks smooth (even the Sephora brand is better). I do like their illuminating tinted moisturizer though.. just enough for days when I don't want to wear foundation.

^^Me too! These yellow undertones can make a person crazy. I'm pale as a ghost, but solid yellow. Go figure.

Almost all make up lines have something I like. Because there ARE so many options available, I can go anywhere and find SOMETHING I can use.

I love alot of makeup brands, I dont stay "faithful" haha. I like MAC because there is an amazing selection. Sometimes companies are aimed at certain styles, but you can really find whatever your looking for at MAC.

Stila is another one I'm mystified about. It just isn't that great to me. I hate the Kitten color: it absolutely is NOT universally flattering (especially on strong yellow undertones). Their glosses don't make my lips looks smooth (even the Sephora brand is better). I do like their illuminating tinted moisturizer though.. just enough for days when I don't want to wear foundation.

I HATE Stia's shimmer eyeshadows, but the mattes are much better.