What is going on with USPS?

I had a Birkin shipped 2 day priority express with a guaranteed delivery time. Of course it did not arrive, but took 2 extra days with no tracking update. This is the 4th time something was shipped to me by this method and the 4th time USPS screwed up. They really just don't care.
I don't know whether you're the buyer or the seller but (I believe it's the seller)if you take tracking to the p.o. with the guarantee info, they will issue a full refund of the shipping cost, which can then be refunded to the buyer who paid for the service and didn't get it.

In fact, THAT is the ONLY service where the guaranteed delivery time IS guaranteed.

3 times I was the buyer and once I was the shipper. I did get a refund and so did the sellers. It just seems as though they really should try and get it right. Alternatively, I could see it as the perfect shipping method for expensive items, fully insured since I will get my money back each time :biggrin: My refund was close to $100!

Oops, meant to add that in the 3 cases where I was the buyer, Anne's Fabulous Finds refunded my shipping immediately. They then pursued their refunds through USPS
I ship hundreds of packages every year with USPS. I rarely buy insurance. I've only had very few instances of lost packages. I had one buyer a few years ago claim she didn't get the package but tracking said she did, so I got paid. It turns out she lived in that area of Philadelphia where a carrier was hoarding packages. I've never had to give a refund for a lost or damaged package as a seller.

As a buyer, I had two small first class packages get misdelivered several years ago on the same day, and I lost the money on those. The tracking they use these days has GPS so if an item gets delivered to the wrong address, it is easier to figure out where the package ended up.

Hello TPFers! I have a USPS-related question too, and am hoping for some advice, please.

I shipped a package via First Class from NYC to London on February 15th. I purchased insurance and tracking information was provided on an almost daily basis up till February 25th. Since then, the only update on the USPS site is "currently in transit to the next facility as at Feb 25th".

I know there was a major snowstorm in the UK, but it seems like enough time has passed that the item would have been delivered by now. I also mailed a package to Singapore on the same day, and it arrived about 1.5 weeks ago!

Do you think it's time to call and make an insurance claim? I have never had to follow up on a USPS package, and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you. :smile:

Hello TPFers! I have a USPS-related question too, and am hoping for some advice, please.

I shipped a package via First Class from NYC to London on February 15th. I purchased insurance and tracking information was provided on an almost daily basis up till February 25th. Since then, the only update on the USPS site is "currently in transit to the next facility as at Feb 25th".

I know there was a major snowstorm in the UK, but it seems like enough time has passed that the item would have been delivered by now. I also mailed a package to Singapore on the same day, and it arrived about 1.5 weeks ago!

Do you think it's time to call and make an insurance claim? I have never had to follow up on a USPS package, and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you. :smile:
This is another case where my advice would be to sit tight. If the buyer has not received the item, you can be sure you'll hear from her. It's very possible that it was delivered and not scanned on delivery.

If at some point, you do hear from the buyer, you can follow up at that point, but until then, don't contact the buyer and don't chase the issue.

This is another case where my advice would be to sit tight. If the buyer has not received the item, you can be sure you'll hear from her. It's very possible that it was delivered and not scanned on delivery.

If at some point, you do hear from the buyer, you can follow up at that point, but until then, don't contact the buyer and don't chase the issue.
Thanks BB, I appreciate your response!

I had a package delayed like this recently and when I went to leave feedback on eBay, there was a box for me to tick about whether I received my package by the estimated delivery date. Even though it arrived two days later, I checked yes because I didn’t think the seller deserved to be penalized for something out of their control — and I have no doubt that’s what the data would be used for.

I had a package delayed like this recently and when I went to leave feedback on eBay, there was a box for me to tick about whether I received my package by the estimated delivery date. Even though it arrived two days later, I checked yes because I didn’t think the seller deserved to be penalized for something out of their control — and I have no doubt that’s what the data would be used for.
Absolutely! And ebay is very sneaky in the way they "grade" sellers and ding their accounts.

And in fact, in checking my dashboard recently, i showed several "Transactions that weren't shipped on time." (Note that the wording isn't "not delivered on time" but they blame the seller for not shipping on time.)

In looking at my tracking for those items, they WERE shipped on time but during the course of the journey to the buyers, they were delayed and delivered after the "due" date.

I called ebay, had them look at the tracking for those transactions and because tracking showed that they were received by the post office as within my 1-day handling time, they removed the dings.

But sellers have to stay on top of it to verify whether they're being dinged inappropriately.

Reactions: whateve