What is going on with Coach?

F10909

Apr 2, 2015
Is the designer running out of ideas?
I sense the brand is just recycling too many designs from the past these days.

The Coach Lexy is a new bag that has replaced the Coach Phoebe which was based off the Coach Madison.
All three bag are identical and full retail products.

I knew someone who bought a Coach Colette satchel about five years ago from the full retail store. Now I see the bag is back at the outlets without deviation which means it probably wasn't just reintroduced for the outlets.

There are other examples but clearly the brand is starting to lack creativity.

Last edited:
Is the designer running out of ideas?
I sense the brand is just recycling too many designs from the past these days.

The Coach Lexy is a new bag that has replaced the Coach Phoebe which was based off the Coach Madison.
All three bag are identical and full retail products.

I knew someone who bought a Coach Colette satchel about five years ago from the full retail store. Now I see the bag is back at the outlets without deviation which means it probably wasn't just reintroduced for the outlets.

There are other examples but clearly the brand is starting to lack creativity.
I'm not sure what you are referring to? The bags you listed (lexy, phoebe) are Coach Factory Outlet handbags that are specifically made for the outlet. I know they are very popular handbags (my mom loves those styles for the 3 compartments). They are similar but there are differences among those styles.

Have you looked at the handbags in the Coach boutiques (not outlet stores)? Or maybe glance at them on Coach.com? There are plenty of styles and creativity.

There are some major differences between the handbags produce specifically for the outlet stores versus the handbags produced for the retail/boutiques/full price store. There are a couple that are similar but still different. In the past, the factory produced ones were obvious but Coach Factory has stepped up their quality and the handbags are getting better on quality. Some of the retail handbags do end up at factory outlet stores and are referred to as "deletes" or "Coach reserve" so maybe that's the confusion?

Actually I've think that Coach almost has too many ideas. Styles never stay around long enough. There is always something new. If you don't like what you see this season, there will a bunch of different items next season. Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you've looked in a Coach boutique or on Coach.com recently.

The bags that are made for the outlets tend to have many differences from the retail versions. IMO, the Lexy looks quite a bit different from Phoebe.

I am new to coach and am glad there are old styles being reintroduced if that is the case as they are just gorgeous!! I dont have an outlet so my choice is full retail only which is fine by me i am a mulberry girl and their new direction has lost me completely if you dont like classic styles maybe try them they are anything but old style or classic lol

I'm not sure what you are referring to? The bags you listed (lexy, phoebe) are Coach Factory Outlet handbags that are specifically made for the outlet. I know they are very popular handbags (my mom loves those styles for the 3 compartments). They are similar but there are differences among those styles.

Have you looked at the handbags in the Coach boutiques (not outlet stores)? Or maybe glance at them on Coach.com? There are plenty of styles and creativity.

There are some major differences between the handbags produce specifically for the outlet stores versus the handbags produced for the retail/boutiques/full price store. There are a couple that are similar but still different. In the past, the factory produced ones were obvious but Coach Factory has stepped up their quality and the handbags are getting better on quality. Some of the retail handbags do end up at factory outlet stores and are referred to as "deletes" or "Coach reserve" so maybe that's the confusion?

Phoebe wasn't an outlet bag. It was produced for the full-priced boutique then some ended up at the outlet when colors were deleted/discontinued. I think most designers "recycle" designs. And some just copy others. I don't need to name any names... :smile:

Reactions: Shoebaglady
I would say that Coach has returned to some creativity, but the problem with that has been that the prices for many bags are now too high for me. So I can't really buy much anymore. I do think where they lack creativity is when they keep certain styles for a long time.... like Swagger and Rogue. I like them both, but it feels like they take up a lot of the collection and I want more options.

I'm not sure what you are referring to? The bags you listed (lexy, phoebe) are Coach Factory Outlet handbags that are specifically made for the outlet. I know they are very popular handbags (my mom loves those styles for the 3 compartments).

As some have mentioned the Phoebe is not an outlet purse. I believe the same is true for the Edie. The Lexy however appears to be outlet targeted. I do not recall seeing the Lexy on coach.com but could have missed it. Another example would be the Mercer. That bag is still listed on coach.com but is also available on coachoutlet.com if you have access.

If you remember the Maggie product line, those bags are very similar and have three compartments much like the Phoebe, Edie, and Lexy. These are all identical designs from some original past with slight moderations.

So perhaps they come up with some new designs but again, why would the Colette bag make a return to the outlet when I knew someone who bought the bag from a Coach store in Puerto Rico back in 2011 or 2012. And if you take the Coach Swagger 27, I can find several examples of nearly the exact same genuine design from Coach released many years ago. Of course it wasn't called a Swagger back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shoebaglady
As some have mentioned the Phoebe is not an outlet purse. I believe the same is true for the Edie. The Lexy however appears to be outlet targeted. I do not recall seeing the Lexy on coach.com but could have missed it. Another example would be the Mercer. That bag is still listed on coach.com but is also available on coachoutlet.com if you have access.

If you remember the Maggie product line, those bags are very similar and have three compartments much like the Phoebe, Edie, and Lexy. These are all identical designs from some original past with slight moderations.

So perhaps they come up with some new designs but again, why would the Colette bag make a return to the outlet when I knew someone who bought the bag from a Coach store in Puerto Rico back in 2011 or 2012. And if you take the Coach Swagger 27, I can find several examples of nearly the exact same genuine design from Coach released many years ago. Of course it wasn't called a Swagger back then.
Don't buy the outlet bags if you don't like them. I'm not seeing your point?

I'm not sure you understand the differences between full retail Coach and Coach Factory outlet.

Th Maggie/Phoebe were part of the Madison line at the full retail Coach boutique. When Stuart Vevers took over at Coach, he discountinued this line along with others. They were sent to the outlets to sell off. The Phoebe along with some other designs that were and are still popular with customers like the Phoebe were then switch to productions strictly for the outlets. The materials used for the retail and the Factory produced ones are similar but have slight differences, especially in the hardware, logo placements, and quality of leather. The Phoebe has been a Factory produced handbag for over a year and is not a full retail handbag. There is another thread in the Coach forum that can tell you what type of handbag you have based on the model number found on the tag somewhere inside the handbag. My mother has both a full retail Phoebe and a factory produced Phoebe, they may look smiliar at quick glance but there are differences, especially in the leather.

The retail/boutique Coach now has the Edie to replace the Phoebe again similar, but different. These types of bags are very popular which I guess is why Coach keeps this type of design around even though each cycle does have differences in color/hardware.

At the Coach Factory outlet, they now have their own lines like the Bennett, Kelsey, and now the Lexy (to name a few) These are not sold at the full retail Coach.

The styles from the full retail Coach you see sometimes at the Coach Outlet and Coach outlet online sales are referred to as Coach Reserves or Coach Delete. At the Outlet stores, they are usually located in the back and many of us head there first! The online sale you mention going on now has them listed as such: Coach Reserves. Sometimes people return full price retail Coach products at the outlets and people are lucky enough to snag them at great prices BUT these handbags are not produced for or sold at outlets unless via returns OR these handbags are last season's or last cycle. Sometimes the outlets also get full retail items from the Coach line exclusives for overseas like this past summer when the golden hologram items showed up. If you read any of the other threads in this Coach forum, you will read the members excitement when they see/buy some full retail Coach products at the Outlet store or the outlet online sale (usually these are the first to sell out). The full retail handbags usually all come with their own dustbags/covers while the Coach Factory ones do not.

Depending on what you prefer and what you are willing to spend, both full retail Coach and Coach factory outlet handbags are nice handbags. You will find a good variety but probably the more creative ones are the full retail Coach handbags.

As for the swagger, I don't remember seeing a style from Coach like this years ago like you mentioned. If you can find a picture that would be great to see. The only one I can think of is the Blake which was a Coach Factory handbag line but that wasn't that long ago.

You mention the Colette. I also don't remember seeing this at the full retail Coach recently. I haven't been to the Coach Outlet recently either so can't really say if it's back. If it is, it's probably because people have requested for it to come back.

I hope this helps clarify the differences, I may have missed some more details so anybody, please chip in!