What is considered dressed up where you live?

Staci_W

Apr 19, 2013
In my town, I can go out in a cotton dress, flip flops, no jewelry, and someone will ask me what I am so dressed up for. I'm talking about a summer dress from somewhere like The Gap. I like wearing dresses. I like looking nice. To me this is not dressed up at all. It irritates me when I get asked what I am dressed up for. It's as if only jeans, yoga pants, and sweats are acceptable. Dress = fancy. I also never wear heels with a dress for this reason. Dress + heels= extremely formal occasion. I will wear heels with my jeans and even that I barley ever do anymore.

I witnessed this happen to another girl last summer. She looked at the asker and snarked back, "Oh, I'm not from here and this is just how we dress everyday."

So, what is considered dressed up where you are from?

Depends... if I'm going to work, well basically if the men wear anything more than a t-shirt, they're considered dressed up. For the women, anything detracting from pants and a t is considered overdress.

If I'm hanging out with friends and we're hitting the club scene, well it's basically anything above jeans is considered dressy.

LOL now for my beau, it's anything above wearing shorts or cargos.

I live in Hippieton Oregon (Eugene) so anything other than jeans and a tee shirt is dressed up!

I had a summer dress on (it's been kind of hot) the other day, no makeup, hair in a pony tail and no shoes, answered the door for the FedEx guy and he said, "Oh good I caught you before you went out." I said, "What makes you think I was heading out?" He replied, "Well you are all dressed up."

SMH

I live in Hippieton Oregon (Eugene) so anything other than jeans and a tee shirt is dressed up!

I had a summer dress on (it's been kind of hot) the other day, no makeup, hair in a pony tail and no shoes, answered the door for the FedEx guy and he said, "Oh good I caught you before you went out." I said, "What makes you think I was heading out?" He replied, "Well you are all dressed up."

SMH

No shoes- equals dressed up? Lol

I live in LA so you can probably do the math! :lol:
Anything goes! I liked when we used to visit the area a lot. I could dress however I wanted and no one would bat an eye.
Depends... if I'm going to work, well basically if the men wear anything more than a t-shirt, they're considered dressed up. For the women, anything detracting from pants and a t is considered overdress.

If I'm hanging out with friends and we're hitting the club scene, well it's basically anything above jeans is considered dressy.

LOL now for my beau, it's anything above wearing shorts or cargos.

I have to wear long pants for my job. I spend a lot of time in labs and it's required.
No clubs here, lots of bars. The bars are a jeans scene.

SMH
I live in Montana. So we are kind of close. I'm on a mission to put an end to the dress = fancy idea.
Funnily the other girl I mentioned above was also from MT only three hours from here. I used to see her quite often and she always dressed nice. Dresses in the warm weather, fitted jackets with statement necklaces in the winter. So it's not a statewide thing. Just my stupid hick town I guess.

SE coastal North Carolina is hot and humid much of the year so flip-flops and a cool top and shorts are most people's uniform if you're not at work. Dress up for dh if we're going to dinner is a polo shirt or a Hawaiian type shirt.

I'm between Denver and Boulder in CO and we are very casual. I've never been a casual person, when I moved here in '87 I didn't even own jeans. The what are you dressed up for comments are frequent, I just reply "life". I've actually even thought about starting a thread like this. Thank you.
Recently we were in Miami and it was fabulous to take in all the fashion eye candy. There are benefits, no one knows if an "it" bag is out, I still adore wearing and get compliments when I carry my Paddington. It's nice not having pressure to keep up and stick to my personal style, and yes I own jeans now. I love jbrand. 😉

I'm between Denver and Boulder in CO and we are very casual. I've never been a casual person, when I moved here in '87 I didn't even own jeans. The what are you dressed up for comments are frequent, I just reply "life". I've actually even thought about starting a thread like this. Thank you.
Recently we were in Miami and it was fabulous to take in all the fashion eye candy. There are benefits, no one knows if an "it" bag is out, I still adore wearing and get compliments when I carry my Paddington. It's nice not having pressure to keep up and stick to my personal style, and yes I own jeans now. I love jbrand. 😉

I've answered "life" before too!

The first time I got asked this summer my nine year old son looked at the lady and said, "She's not dressed up. That's how she dresses." LOL I have my kids defending me now too.

I have no problem wearing jeans. I frequently do. It would just be nice to be able to wear a dress without raising eyebrows.

I live in San Diego. It's very casual here. Even in the workplace unless you work in a big law firm or something like that.
I'm from NY originally and one of the first wedding receptions I attended here in So Cal, I was shocked to see men in pants in a shirt - no jacket. This was a nice reception, not the most expensive venue but not a back yard.