What is considered casual dressing where you live?

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
There is already a discussion about what is dressed up- but would love to know how everyone dresses casually. What do you consider 'casual, every day clothes'? Photos are very much appreciated but not essential.

There is already a discussion about what is dressed up- but would love to know how everyone dresses casually. What do you consider 'casual, every day clothes'? Photos are very much appreciated but not essential.

Something like this during the Fall weather.

Attachments

• mmx.jpg
    mmx.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,057
Hmmm.
Pretty certain the people of walmart site captures "casual dressing," where I live most of the year.
Here's a beauty example: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBOk7vgQUkbZqKSFsMPB993afqUZxqi3hF0SYXH9XdoETEbN0l

My personal casual look involves wearing actual clothes in public.
And refraining from passing out cold through store displays. If possible.

Went back to school shopping with my kids a few days ago and this was what I saw. Age groups would differ a bit (younger tend to wear shorter, tighter, more rips, more skin showing.) Athleisure wear is also popular here, unfortunately I think it is becoming the norm. Similar to wearing leggings as pants! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Women-Casual-Wear-for-Winter-2012.jpg
    Women-Casual-Wear-for-Winter-2012.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,089
  • th70L42PZT.jpg
    th70L42PZT.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
Casual office code: Anywhere that lets you wear denim other than on Fridays. Polos + khaki/corduroy pants are pretty common outside of the financial and legal realm.

Casual dinner: Denim and sweaters or button-downs. You rarely, rarely see ath-leisure type clothing at a restaurant here. If you do it's usually only on one person in a group and it's safe to say they are either in college or were a last-minute invite.

It's chilly here most of the year, which is why I think athleisure is not a popular choice, even for running to the grocery store. Leggings as pants? That happens all the time, especially with long sweaters or tees and underneath big winter coats. Jeans and flannel go everywhere - weddings included. Makeup, heels and styled hair aren't typically everyday choices. Costume jewelry isn't very big either, but most women do wear some jewelry (rarely diamonds though).

I am in a large city and there are a lot of young people working in the tech industry, meaning that t-shirts and jeans are normal work attire for many people. The professionals dress as their industry deems fit - plenty of bankers in suits, physicians in shirt and tie or women's equivalent, etc.

There is a very large sector of people who wear athletic clothes as daily clothes or as travel clothes to the airport. I can understand this at the grocery store, running errands, or at an outdoor market. I was quite surprised to see parents wearing exercise clothes to pre-scheduled parent-teacher conferences at our school. I did not think that was respectful to the teachers. This is because I grew up being taught that how you dress, such as for a party, shows your respect to your host or regard for the event.

I think overall life is becoming more casual, and while I appreciate the convenience, I am not sure I enjoy it.

I am in a large city and there are a lot of young people working in the tech industry, meaning that t-shirts and jeans are normal work attire for many people. The professionals dress as their industry deems fit - plenty of bankers in suits, physicians in shirt and tie or women's equivalent, etc.

There is a very large sector of people who wear athletic clothes as daily clothes or as travel clothes to the airport. I can understand this at the grocery store, running errands, or at an outdoor market. ]I was quite surprised to see parents wearing exercise clothes to pre-scheduled parent-teacher conferences at our school. I did not think that was respectful to the teachers. This is because I grew up being taught that how you dress, such as for a party, shows your respect to your host or regard for the event.

I think overall life is becoming more casual, and while I appreciate the convenience, I am not sure I enjoy it.

This is a very good point. I live in London and the dress code is generally very casual, but not scruffy cut offs, or gym wear. Most of us would be in jeans, ( boyfriend or skinny with a little bit of destruction) smart tops. Leather biker jackets are bit of a uniform. I counted 4 the other day just walking to the bus stop. Smarter jackets, like riding style are also around and have been for years. There are a lot of celine bags, longchamp and the odd Hermes or Chanel mostly carried by Asian tourists.

It's hot here. I live in tropical. I do dress quite conservative though. My shortest pants is calves-length and no sleeves less for me. It's nothing on religion. I just don't feel comfortable with too much skin. I'm ok with it on other people. Just not on me.

Myself : jeans with all kind of t-shirt. A dress.

In general : jeans, shorts, cut offs, skirts, dresses, tank tops, t-shirts.

I think it's also personal standard. My casual dressing is someone's dress up, while my work dressing is just too casual to many people.

What a great idea of a topic! I'm really curious about that, too.
In my home country (Eastern Europe) it's casual to wear heels, dresses, skirts. Girls wear them to school and during the daytime in general. Younger teenagers tend to wear more sneakers/skater shoes. Sweatpants and the athleisure style in general are a no-no and only people from the province wear them (I'm sorry if that sounds rude, I don't mean in a bad way).
In London, however, I've noticed a very different trend. I only see women in heels around the nicer shops and areas. At uni most people wear comfortable clothing and I often feel overdressed wearing my normal clothes.
It's really interesting to meet the American exchange students. They're always very impressed by how dressed up people are even if they're wearing something I consider casual.

Well, if your wearing actual clothes rather than pj's your dressed up here! Like remainsilly, most folks here looks like they shop at Wal-Mart. Athletic leasure, football jerseys, super casual is the norm. Yes I live in a rural, small town area.

Now on the occasion I go to Seattle, different story. Lots of black, smart cool looks for the young, still lots of jeans and tees. Hey, this is the home of grunge, so heavy on flannel and fleece in the cooler months.

Oops, Lady Sarah I just realized you asked what I consider casual not necessarily what ever one else wears. For me in warm weather its maxi dresses and sandals. Cooler weather is boot cut denim with flats and an Eileen Fisher top and cardigan. Winter is leggings and boots with sweaters and cardigans. Actually this is my work wear as well.

Last edited:
Well, if your wearing actual clothes rather than pj's your dressed up here! Like remainsilly, most folks here looks like they shop at Wal-Mart. Athletic leasure, football jerseys, super casual is the norm. Yes I live in a rural, small town area.

Now on the occasion I go to Seattle, different story. Lots of black, smart cool looks for the young, still lots of jeans and tees. Hey, this is the home of grunge, so heavy on flannel and fleece in the cooler months.

Oops, Lady Sarah I just realized you asked what I consider casual not necessarily what ever one else wears. For me in warm weather its maxi dresses and sandals. Cooler weather is boot cut denim with flats and an Eileen Fisher top and cardigan. Winter is leggings and boots with sweaters and cardigans. Actually this is my work wear as well.

no that's great. I am interested in both- and your idea of casual is my idea of stylish.:smile:

I live in Pennsylvania but not anywhere really by Philadelphia, I live in the suburbs so not city at all, but not quite country--most houses have yards with green grass, there's developments with typical family style houses. (You don't get the high fashion/perfectly put together look like you would in the city, but you also won't see people at the grocery store in overalls.)
What I see here especially from the younger generation when it comes to casual dressing is a lot of jeans, leggings, sweatpants. I see older people all the time at the grocery store in sweatpants and baggy sweatshirt, or pajamas. I once wore heels, and black leggings/black dress to the grocery store here once and this other woman she looked at me all funny. Then she came up to me and said, "Are you from new York? You don't look like your from around here.", as she looked me up and down. Gosh, since when is it odd to dress nice around here anymore? :shrugs:
My honest opinion of casual dressing is jeans with flats/sneakers/heels (whatever shoe as long as it looks nice), with a nice tee shirt or nice top, or a nice dress. It really doesn't matter to me how casual people dress, as long as it's not pajamas, not baggy sweatpants, rips or stains that aren't supposed to be there. You can wear jeans and a tee shirt and have them be nice, fitted, and ironed. But a lot of times where I live, I just see people who look like a total mess.

In Boston, because of the student population, I see 90% of women wearing yoga pants, with either workout tops or non-workout tops, sporty/non-sporty shoes and some kind of tote bag. I think I'm one of the few who wear normal (non-yoga related) clothing!