What is considered a Chanel vintage bag?

snowjade

**waving at you**
O.G.
Oct 19, 2009
I've been absorbed of late by older chanel caviars and lamb. However, when perusing ebay and malleries; I see the description vintage quite a bit and became curious... "What is really considered a vintage Chanel handbag?" I can't seem to find a definition anywhere (a google search only brings up all types of shops).

However I did come across something I read that anything older than 20 years is considered vintage (books, chairs, etc); and anything 50 years or older is considered an antique. Does anyone have a bag that's 20 yrs old? Or even 50? Can anyone chime in on a definition?

That being said...at my age, I too can be considered "vintage"...:flowers: ...and hope to live way past "antique" :P.

Btw, photos would be very helpful!! Thank you!!

Reactions: vickyseml
I agree with the general definition that anything older than 20 years is vintage -- at least, this is the meaning adopted with clothing. But I guess most laypersons (i.e. not in the specialized business of handling or trading vintage/antique items) would casually refer to an older style/design as vintage.

I am "vintage" as well... But not really hoping to live past "antique"! :biggrin:

I have a vintage Chanel, i believe it is an 80s model, still in mint condition, but personally i consider anything to be vintage that is pre-owned and i guess a lot of sellers market their sales items in the same way, whether it is the correct term or not i do not know, but what you have stated does make sense, perhaps an item that is 20 years old or more should only technically be sold as "vintage"
Here is my baby:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Interesting topic though :biggrin:

xoxo

Attachments

• chanel1.jpg
    chanel1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5,525
  • chanel2.jpg
    chanel2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 4,314
  • chanel3.jpg
    chanel3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,388
I agree with the general definition that anything older than 20 years is vintage -- at least, this is the meaning adopted with clothing. But I guess most laypersons (i.e. not in the specialized business of handling or trading vintage/antique items) would casually refer to an older style/design as vintage.

I am "vintage" as well... But not really hoping to live past "antique"! :biggrin:

Aww, not even to become a unique and rare antique? :flowers:

I have a vintage Chanel, i believe it is an 80s model, still in mint condition, but personally i consider anything to be vintage that is pre-owned and i guess a lot of sellers market their sales items in the same way, whether it is the correct term or not i do not know, but what you have stated does make sense, perhaps an item that is 20 years old or more should only technically be sold as "vintage"
Here is my baby:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Interesting topic though :biggrin:

xoxo

Thank you for posting photos platinum_girly! Your baby is sooo beautiful...it's amazing that its in such mint condition. Congrats!!

platinum_girly ~ It doesn't make sense for anything preowned to be called "vintage"... Under that definition, a second hand 13-series/2010 Chanel bag would be 'vintage'. I associate vintage-ness more with the passing of time than with the passing of possession I suppose :smile:

Aww, not even to become a unique and rare antique?

I'm currently terrified by old age! Been reading too many morbid articles recently and realized that medical technology can keep people alive even after the quality of life has diminished to an unacceptable level... Scary!

Is vintage priced differently than pre-owned?

Do people charge more or less for vintage?

Taking into account the 20 year rule, would a bag made in 1989 be more or less expensive than a bag made in 1999 if everything else was the same?

Oh, I am glad you posted this question; I was about to post the same question!!

It looks like, to me, the bags that come with the old style dust bag and/or old style hologram sticker are called "vintage" in general. They are probably 10+ years old. But 2002 Olsen bags are also often referred as "vintage bag", which is only 8 years old. So I was wondering when bags "become" vintage.