Tech What is causing my Windows Vista desktop to take a long time to load?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    For the past 2 days my desktop has been taking a long time to load and I don't know why. I haven't changed anything in the start-up or installed any new. The only thing I did was defragment it a few days ago...

I mean...it's not really a big deal but it does kind of bug me. The "Welcome" screen comes up...takes a few seconds and then a blue screen comes up...takes maybe 2-3 minutes and then my desktop. The hard drive light doesn't blink for a while when the blue screen (NOT the blue screen of death...it's just a light blue) comes up...but after a bit it does..

Any tips?

I don't believe it to be spyware or a virus. I have Norton Internet Security running on my laptop.

PS: This is what MSCONFIG says I have in my start up:

- Windows Defender
    - HD Audio Control Panel
    - TOSHIBA Power Saver
    - TOSHIBA Button Support
    - SVPWUTIL Application
    - Symantic security technologies
    - Synaptics pointing device driver
    - LiveUpdate Notice
    - CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer
    - Bluetooth stack for windows by TOSHIBA

2. I had a similar problem on Windows '98 and finally figured out that one of the .dll files that ran on startup was corrupted. Nothing much happens, I guess Vista just tries to execute that file for several minutes, then moves on without it. I can't remember what I did, I probably just installed XP.

3. I did a HD check (which took FOREVER!!) and also a registrydefragmentation. Since doing these things it's acting normal again :smile: