What is acceptable wear and tear?

DaisyM

O.G.
Jan 29, 2014
We see posts every day about "unacceptable" wear and tear on our beloved LVs, from glazing that peels to cracking canvas and hardware that tarnishes or falls apart. And yet we also see plenty of items with dings and scratches, fading and popped stitches - if not in our own collections then on the pre-loved market. So here's a question: what's normal, acceptable wear and tear on these items - and for that matter, what's not? How do materials used (i.e., canvas, leather) and design affect this, as well as length of time owned, amount of use, and how well the bag is cared for?

My 6 month-old Melie bag has fading corners with teeny tiny (microscopic) holes forming. I use it only on the weekends. Is this acceptable? After all, I've now used it dozens of times. But I also take exceptional care with my bags. What about my pm round mono cosmetic case, about 2 years old and used every day, with corners that have actual tiny chips in the canvas? Just something to expect from a design that incorporates folded, rounded canvas? Or, not unacceptable?

I think some bags have certain design flaws and things like this will be a common problem over and over with the same bag. This is why I have been very careful when buying bags in the past. My one concern is how the bag will hold up to use and I also am very careful to not abuse my bags. I have been quite happy with my large Noe bags and petite noe bag due to the leather bottom which has held up well. I had my one Noe bag for over 25 years and then gave it to my best friend.
I also think it is hit and miss with LV on what they consider normal wear and tear. I do think the older LV bags were made better than the ones in the past ten years. My husband has had a few LV monogram wallets and he does his own laundry and I have to say his one wallet was left in his jeans and put through the washing machine at least ten times and yet after stuffing it with paper towels to dry it was always perfect with no damage. No glazing coming off or anything happening to it.
Of all the LV bags I have owned for the past 40 years I never had a problem with any except the handles being crooked on my Neverfull GM which was replaced with a new bag.

From what I can see on the pictures that you posted, this looks like normal wear and tear to me.

certainly, you are making a valid point when it comes to the design of the item having an impact on how the item will wear over time. Bags and accessories with folded canvas corners will show wear and tear a lot quicker than those with a leather trim at the bottom. Buyers should always consider the design of a bag before they buy it: at least you can somewhat anticipate how the bag will age. Not all bags are created equal!

Of course, if something literally falls apart within a few months (broken handle, seam coming undone, etc), Louis Vuitton will replace or repair for free. I also think it's great that they offer repair services for older items.

In any case, I don't expect my bags to look new forever. I expect them to look new when they are new and look used after I use them. I must say that most of my Louis Vuitton bags and accessories look great for years and years (even if they don't always look new for years and years). I can't say the same thing about other designer items that I have owned over the years.

I think some bags have certain design flaws and things like this will be a common problem over and over with the same bag. This is why I have been very careful when buying bags in the past. My one concern is how the bag will hold up to use and I also am very careful to not abuse my bags. I have been quite happy with my large Noe bags and petite noe bag due to the leather bottom which has held up well. I had my one Noe bag for over 25 years and then gave it to my best friend.
I also think it is hit and miss with LV on what they consider normal wear and tear. I do think the older LV bags were made better than the ones in the past ten years. My husband has had a few LV monogram wallets and he does his own laundry and I have to say his one wallet was left in his jeans and put through the washing machine at least ten times and yet after stuffing it with paper towels to dry it was always perfect with no damage. No glazing coming off or anything happening to it.
Of all the LV bags I have owned for the past 40 years I never had a problem with any except the handles being crooked on my Neverfull GM which was replaced with a new bag.
You make an excellent point about style playing a big part in how well a bag ages, and my SA says the same thing. I will need to pay more attention in the future to design and expected wear down the road. It's good to hear that you've been so happy with your Noes. Those are gorgeous bags. The story about your husbands wallet in the wash made me smile.

From what I can see on the pictures that you posted, this looks like normal wear and tear to me.

certainly, you are making a valid point when it comes to the design of the item having an impact on how the item will wear over time. Bags and accessories with folded canvas corners will show wear and tear a lot quicker than those with a leather trim at the bottom. Buyers should always consider the design of a bag before they buy it: at least you can somewhat anticipate how the bag will age. Not all bags are created equal!

Of course, if something literally falls apart within a few months (broken handle, seam coming undone, etc), Louis Vuitton will replace or repair for free. I also think it's great that they offer repair services for older items.

In any case, I don't expect my bags to look new forever. I expect them to look new when they are new and look used after I use them. I must say that most of my Louis Vuitton bags and accessories look great for years and years (even if they don't always look new for years and years). I can't say the same thing about other designer items that I have owned over the years.
I always enjoy reading your perspective and agree that this is normal, for this style bag/item. As both you and gillianna say, it's important to consider how an item may wear when purchasing, something I admit I didn't think twice about with either of these items, since none of my other LVs show any wear at all.

Reactions: fabuleux
I always enjoy reading your perspective and agree that this is normal, for this style bag/item. As both you and gillianna say, it's important to consider how an item may wear when purchasing, something I admit I didn't think twice about with either of these items, since none of my other LVs show any wear at all.
Also worth bearing in mind is whether the wear will actually get any worse. My cosmetic pouch is over 20 years old and has the same corner wear as yours; it never got any worse. The lining, well that's a different story!

Also worth bearing in mind is whether the wear will actually get any worse. My cosmetic pouch is over 20 years old and has the same corner wear as yours; it never got any worse. The lining, well that's a different story!

I was wondering about that! I actually asked my SA if there's a certain threshold the wear gets to, without it getting worse. Thank you for letting me know about yours. [emoji106]

I've been following the issues with Melie in the clubhouse. I don't understand why the holes are forming on this bag, when my Sully, which has the same kind of folded over canvas on the bottom, has no problems. My bag is a few years old, and I've never seen this issue with any other Sullys. It must have to do with a certain type of canvas they're now using with the Melie. I think this type of wear is unacceptable!

I've been following the issues with Melie in the clubhouse. I don't understand why the holes are forming on this bag, when my Sully, which has the same kind of folded over canvas on the bottom, has no problems. My bag is a few years old, and I've never seen this issue with any other Sullys. It must have to do with a certain type of canvas they're now using with the Melie. I think this type of wear is unacceptable!

My SA seemed to indicate that there had been issues with the sully, and that the leather corners of the Berri are the solution they came up with for that style of bag. I had a Sully for a couple of years and never noticed a problem. That bag seemed indestructible!

I also have a question similar to this one
I have a speedy 30 Damier azur and I'm one of the bottom corners of the bag the blueish/grayish square has scuffed off a little. What does this suggest? Thanks :smile: