Scarves What is a good H scarf/shawl collection? How many do you have?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. OK, now that I've set my 3 bag limit, I'm trying to figure out a scarf limit. Is this even possible? How many scarves would be a "reasonable" number for daily wear? How many shawls? How many do you have and how often do you wear them?

Edited to add: on second thought, I realized that setting a scarf limit will probably be impossible with gorgeous new H designs every season!

AnnaE likes this.
  2. While I do have a bag limit, I would never limit the amount of scarves I could own. I just love them so much and wear one everyday. I have:

13 90cm
    11 Pochettes
    6 Twillys
    4 70cm
    1 Cashmere Shawl
    3 Plisse

In addition to my Hermes collection, I have two drawers full of scarves from other designers. My current collection should satisfy me for the rest of my life but I will probably add at least 1 more cashmere shawl and another Hermes scarf this year. I am addicted.

shrpthorn and MightyBigRed like this.
  3. No way would I ever set a scarf limit! There are always new designs, reissues in new colorways, new fabrics (the vintage-style 70s) ... sigh. They are an investment, a work of art. They allow me to dress in a rather boring uniform (cashmere sweater and pants/jeans for A/W; T-shirts and capris or skirts in S/S) without it looking like the same old few items in rotation.

I love H bags, but with their price tag, they are still very "precious" for me. I admire them but I still feel like the whole bag world is at a bit of a distance for me. The scarves, on the other hand, are like dear friends. I know the stories about where I bought it, when, where I've worn them. I know I'll always have a wish list, no matter how many I buy. And while they aren't cheap, they're a semi-affordable way to add genuine luxury (as opposed to, say, something expensive yet terribly trendy) to your life. I dream that my daughters (and then granddaughters) love them, ask to borrow them and will even fight over them when I'm gone.

jyyanks and MightyBigRed like this.
  4. Scarf limit........:shocked:.........:lol:

5. Ditto for me. . . . :shame:

6. For me, a good scarf collection is when you have a scarf to match every H bag you own (or other designer bags too).

7. No limit!
    i will grow old with my existing scarfs, and add as & when there is something that I like.... as & when I still have $ to pay for it.

maybe when i grow older, i have lesser $, but I still have wonderful collection of scarves!!!

8. Rose:roflmfao: Once you opened Pandora Box of Hermes scarves...:wtf:

MightyBigRed likes this.
  9. I think it is possible to set a limit, but this may come with time, finding out what works for you and perhaps reaching a saturation point. I recently sold several scarves that just weren't getting any wear in an effort to pare down. The price increases have also been a factor in setting limits. I've been collecting Hermes scarves for almost 20 years, and I feel that I have enough at this point. My Hermes scarf collection currently numbers 43 -- a relatively modest amount -- plus three from other designers. All of them are 90 cm carrés, except for one 70 cm anniversary scarf. I don't have any Hermes shawls, but I do have two from YSL that I bought many years ago.

I wear scarves almost every day in fall, winter and spring. Of course, there are some designs and colorways I reach for more often than others, and I have my absolute favorites. This is probably true for most scarf lovers/collectors.

MightyBigRed likes this.
  10. Currently, I have 5 scarves. Sold a few because I decided that they did not suit me after all. Although I do not have as many scarves as others, I feel that my collection is near complete. I may acquire one or two more, but shall definitely be in a fine-tuning mode. That is, whatever I buy will have to be replaced by existing ones. Out of the 5 that I have, I can see only one that I am willing to give up.

As for shawls, I have a total of five, all aquired within a year. I guess I have no discipline or control as far as shawls are concerned. They are simply too gorgeous. I guess the difference between shawls and scarves is that you can see the entire pattern when you wear a shawl as opposed to the ends for a scarve.

11. As long as you keep wearing them or find a way to accessorise them, I don't think there's a limit as to how many you should own.

I currently own:

3 Twillies
    1 Carrè
    1 Pointu
    1 Gavroche
    1 Losange

The losange would have to be my favourite. :heart:

12. Oh I'm so glad to hear that several of you have no limit on the number of scarves you'll allow yourself to own. I currently have 10 carres and 1 plisse and and was worried about having to many! Banish the thought!

I too think of my scarves as a way to add interest to what is otherwise a failry basic wardrobe but most importantly as wearable works of art. Just knowing that I'm wearing something so beautiful lifts my spirits.:tender:

13. I don't have a total limit, but I try to limit myself each season. No more than 5 pieces

14. I think a number depends on your lifestyle. I don't work (just part-time, self-employed as an interior designer), so I don't wear a scarf everyday. If I did, or if I had a big "ladies-who-lunch" social life, I might have more. Right now, I have 5 90cm carres, 1 plisse, 1 66cm cashmere/wool and two big cashmere/silk shawls. I would love to someday have one more shawl, as I'm finding it so very useful. As for the 90cm carres, I probably have one more than I need - I find I don't choose it very often. If I ever find another print I simply cannot survive without (and I don't look at the scarves online very often as they're ALL lovely!), then I will part with one. I don't like owning things I rarely wear (except for after-five clothing and jewelry - one simply has to have it).

15. I only have one H carré, and I think that maybe I could add a couple more, maybe in the vintage silk 70*70 cm size. I also want at least one 140*140 silk/ cashmere one. I'm not a big scarf person, but love to wear them occasionally (plus there are some great tying techniques I've seen here and want to try and thus maybe become more of a scarfie) and also just admire the prints.