What is a broker? (customs thingy)

:confused1: I've never heard of that.

Have you asked the seller?

If this "broker fee" of $40 wasn't included in the seller's listing, I would fight back with the seller or eBay. That's ridiculous!

Ups has their own in-house broker. They just charged you that to get your item into the country. It's a fee that the seller could have paid or made you pay (duties and document fees, import charges). This is my husband talking lol. he was in exports for a long time :smile:

A broker is all part of the fees of importing. I have a friend who imported antiques from England. You HAVE to hire a broker to get the items through customs. It can get quite expensive.

Been there, done that!:rant: UPS "broker" = highway robbery! In the future, if you buy something from US/overseas, ask sellers to ship using either EMS or USPS Global Priority. FedEx is great too (with NO brokerage fees, I might add!).

Been there, done that!:rant: UPS "broker" = highway robbery! In the future, if you buy something from US/overseas, ask sellers to ship using either EMS or USPS Global Priority. FedEx is great too (with NO brokerage fees, I might add!).
EXACTLY! Never UPS to Canada. Ever.

Broker fees are usually around $5.00 aren't they? Or is that the road fee?

EXACTLY! Never UPS to Canada. Ever.

Broker fees are usually around $5.00 aren't they? Or is that the road fee?

Yah, they're usually not that much, but with UPS it the brokerage fee can be almost anything they call it. Sucks. My friend bought me a pair of shoes from ebay and had it sent over to my house as a surprise gift and the surprise to me was the UPS guy asking me for $70 to get my item. WTH. My "brokerage" fee was like $35 or something. Rip off.

I thought Fed Ex was expensive too.

I knew UPS would be expensive - I wasn't really paying attention when I bid - I thought it said USPS.:upsidedown: I thought I was getting a deal - not after all the fees :cursing:

It was a cles worth $150. The same day I got some Shoes worth $250 shipped USPS and the total fee on that was $25. :tup:

But what IS a broker - what the heck does 'he' do? (I remember getting stuff shipped to my school through FedEx and they called to ask if I had a broker - I was like - huh??)

Also - How do I get a job like that at $40 a pop LOL

I thought Fed Ex was expensive too.

I knew UPS would be expensive - I wasn't really paying attention when I bid - I thought it said USPS.:upsidedown: I thought I was getting a deal - not after all the fees :cursing:

It was a cles worth $150. The same day I got some Shoes worth $250 shipped USPS and the total fee on that was $25. :tup:

But what IS a broker - what the heck does 'he' do? (I remember getting stuff shipped to my school through FedEx and they called to ask if I had a broker - I was like - huh??)

Also - How do I get a job like that at $40 a pop LOL

your so cute Nyria.. lol.. had to say that, but i have no idea what the broker does either!

your so cute Nyria.. lol.. had to say that, but i have no idea what the broker does either!

Well - you are just no help at all!!! Just kidding ;) Thanks =)

http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/occinfo/C...GetHTMLProfile&format=html&OCCPRO_ID=71001626

Here you go... I avoid UPS and Fedex, to the point I now don't bid on items if they will not ship USPS. Each company has a list of fees they charge, usually based on the value of the item.

WOW - that's the best description possible -- thanks =)