What if a Parent Disapproves of Buying LV?

Forsyte

Dec 15, 2009
Hi I am just wondering how you would feel if despite your being a grown, independent adult, one of your parents really felt upset about your buying expensive items like LV? Even if they are not preventing you, how would knowing their negative feeling about it affect your buying habits? Thank you:biggrin:

Last edited:
I think it really depends on how old you are and whether or not you're completely supporting yourself (living on your own and financially stable on your own) or living under your parent's roof and/or they are helping support your financially.

I would try to explain it to them. I still live at home en even tough they think it is stupid to spend so much money on a bag they changed their minds after i explained it to them. A few weeks ago I was look at some MBMJ bags and my mom was saying about a €325 bag 'that's really cheap, you should get it'.

im a spoiled...im my dad only child...my parents are happy usually with my decisions, and sometime buys 4me...if you can afford them, you're good...can you explain that to them...its not like you cant afford them, right...im no help...lol..

My sister and mom both carry LV too, so they cant (or wont) say much. I was the one who "started" the madness back in the days, but we all have quite similar tastes and they were quick to catch on. And now my dad is even in the loop, as he had taken my mom to LV for her birthday.....

maybe the dissapproving parent sort of wishes he or she could also get an LV? Have they never splurged, or been able to splurge, like that, it might actually be plain ol jealousy? It does also happend within families.... Or maybe they are more "old school", wanting to make sure you save up for a rainy day?

I'm still in college, and of course, getting money from my parents. I don't know, but for me even though me parents not really like me spending $$ on those LV H Chanel or whatever, they accept my actions. I think it depend on how you realize it. I think i buy bags when i really like if i just like it i won't i have to feel really really like that bags otherwise i'm not going to use them for a long time.

agree...
My sister and mom both carry LV too, so they cant (or wont) say much. I was the one who "started" the madness back in the days, but we all have quite similar tastes and they were quick to catch on. And now my dad is even in the loop, as he had taken my mom to LV for her birthday.....

maybe the dissapproving parent sort of wishes he or she could also get an LV? Have they never splurged, or been able to splurge, like that, it might actually be plain ol jealousy? It does also happend within families.... Or maybe they are more "old school", wanting to make sure you save up for a rainy day?

I am in college and I live at home and have been buying LV for a few years now, in the beginning my parents disaproved and forbid me to buy LV but at one point she did allow me to buy something. She couldn't understand why I would spend so much on LV for such a small piece. However since than she has given me more freedom in spending and she doesn't mind if I buy LV. She was still against it however over time she has become more accepting toward my designer purchases because she sees the quality of the items and how happy they make me. So by now she just says "It's your money, and you should spend it as you see fit." And she is genuinely happy for me when I but something new. :biggrin:

Well, my familiy don't understand my passion for LV. My mother is really carefull whit her money, and sometimes I have to push her to spend money on herself. (Not because she can't aford it, she is just wery careful whit money of nature I think.) She don't know about half of my purses, I show them to her sister insted. She is on her way to get her first LV, the only problem is that she dont like brown.. LOL
But Im 30 years old, have my own apartment, car and a job so I use my money for what ever I want!!

unless you are fortunate enough to have grown up in an affluent family, i think it's perfectly natural for parents to disapprove of buying LV.
Older generations were typically more sensible with money - i know that sounds like a sweeping generalisation but i think it's true.
My parents would not have "allowed" me to buy chanel, but i did anyway and only told them later. They know i also own LV, but i think it amuses them more now because i'm a bit older and they know i use and love my bags.
I don't think jealousy is really an explanation on the whole. I think parents worry about their kids' finances.

I guess it just depends on how much control you let your parents have in your decision making.
My mom encouraged me to get my first LV and that started the LV love. She didn't realize that 1 bag would turn into more. She now has 2 LVs of her own and has a bit of the fever so I don't get much complaints anymore. LOL........