What I know now...

Greentea

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
What I know now...

1. That the price of my dream Lindy is, umm, quite large, definitely larger than it should be and it kind of bothers me. :wacko:

2. That there are 2-3 much less expensive and beautiful Hermes bags that I also really like.

3. That if I buy one of these other bags, I'll love it, but I'll still pine for and obsess over the Lindy.

4. That I realize I'd rather have 3-4 H bags I'm totally gaga about than a whole closet full of just "good enough."

5. That the theory "Buy the best, cry once. Settle for less, cry forever," has been true for me every time I've tested it out. (Oh, if only I had every one of those dollars back that I spent buying "settle for less things" that are now either worn out, out of style or gone from my closet...):-s

There, I feel better now. Whenever that Lindy finds me, it's meant to be. It might be soon, yet, it might not and that's totally fine. But when it eventually does, I will forget about the price tag, use it for years with love and then give it to my daughter who is now six and has already asked for my Kelly. :girlwhack:

These are pearls of wisdom, for sure. I have collectively spent enough in small H purchases over the course of 2010 to have gotten my dream Lindy or Jypsiere now without much fuss. :P

"Buy the best, cry once." I love that. :biggrin:

What I know now...

1. That the price of my dream Lindy is, umm, quite large, definitely larger than it should be and it kind of bothers me. :wacko:

2. That there are 2-3 much less expensive and beautiful Hermes bags that I also really like.

3. That if I buy one of these other bags, I'll love it, but I'll still pine for and obsess over the Lindy.

4. That I realize I'd rather have 3-4 H bags I'm totally gaga about than a whole closet full of just "good enough."

5. That the theory "Buy the best, cry once. Settle for less, cry forever," has been true for me every time I've tested it out. (Oh, if only I had every one of those dollars back that I spent buying "settle for less things" that are now either worn out, out of style or gone from my closet...):-s

There, I feel better now. Whenever that Lindy finds me, it's meant to be. It might be soon, yet, it might not and that's totally fine. But when it eventually does, I will forget about the price tag, use it for years with love and then give it to my daughter who is now six and has already asked for my Kelly. :girlwhack:

So true :yes:

It's hard to understand our own psyche sometimes. Many women (make that people) are often to programmed to think they are not worth it and don't deserve the best or what they want. That's often why they settle.

I see so many women scrabbling for sale bargains, deals and look-a-likes, spending thousands of pennies on tens of almost-but-not-quites when they could have acquired their dream purchase for the same price.

It's hard to swim against the tide of bargain culture versus true value for money. What is quality and what really suits us only comes in time with education and perhaps a pile of mistakes.

I was lucky, it was taught to me from a young age buy the best (that doesn't always mean the most expensive) and you buy once, buy substitutes and and you will have to keep buying.

Having said all that, I like having a variety of bags and that includes bags I don't have to worry about at all and then I am glad of my 'lesser' bags.

I have many "lesser bags" and they are fine for what they are: sometimes I don't need one that will endure forever. But I have found that buying a "lesser bag" INSTEAD OF the H I really want is always a frustration.

Sometimes is it sooo hard to wait! We are presented with many H bags that we COULD love (Kelly in navy chevre instead of the black box we crave; Birkin in sturdy Ebene Togo instead of floopy Ebene Clemence; gently loved Lindy instead of brand new...) - but there is no satisfaction like finally finding your true love bag.

Greentea, you are right - whenever your special Lindy finds you, it's meant to be! And that will be a wonderful moment indeed. :smile:

Yes it does not work I enjoy my go yards and Louis but the thing is if I buy it because it will fill the void of an hermes it just never works I got a black croisier thinking it would replace my vintage black Kelly for everyday use, big surprise it was not I always want my Kelly the goyard works fine for museums and rainy days but other wiseim on the Kelly or a birkin its just does not work out but you are so right !!!

I have many "lesser bags" and they are fine for what they are: sometimes I don't need one that will endure forever. But I have found that buying a "lesser bag" INSTEAD OF the H I really want is always a frustration.

Sometimes is it sooo hard to wait! We are presented with many H bags that we COULD love (Kelly in navy chevre instead of the black box we crave; Birkin in sturdy Ebene Togo instead of floopy Ebene Clemence; gently loved Lindy instead of brand new...) - but there is no satisfaction like finally finding your true love bag.

Greentea, you are right - whenever your special Lindy finds you, it's meant to be! And that will be a wonderful moment indeed. :smile:

Yup! And I do have non-H bags (funny and kind of crazy that I'm classifying a Chanel 2.55 and Balenciaga cross-body as lesser in the context presented here!:P) that I love and would never sell. But the difference is that when I acquired those, I wasn't trying to substitute them for an H bag. You're right, if you try to fill an Hermes pit with another bag, it will never work! At least, it hasn't for me.

So true :yes:

I see so many women scrabbling for sale bargains, deals and look-a-likes, spending thousands of pennies on tens of almost-but-not-quites when they could have acquired their dream purchase for the same price.

This SOOOO used to be me. I'm sale-free now and much better behaved at outlet malls. Sure, I shop them, but I now work from a nice, well-thought list of things I REALLY want and need. I do leave room for fun, for that special treasure that might add a bit of unexpected whimsy to my wardrobe. But I no longer buy anything just because it's on sale. You should see the bags of stuff I donated or threw out of my closet this year. :wtf:

^ :smile:

30cm, Etoupe or Graphite Clemence. I'm also intrigued by Ebene. Since these colors are cool gray based tones, they would all totally work. (Ebene is such a cool, bitter brown that I've often mistaken it for Graphite at my H)

I have a Graphite Togo. It is the first leather H bag I have ever owned and I adore it. Nobody where I live even knows what it is! It holds everything and wears so well every season. It has held me over while I waited for my dream bag, the 35 Black Birkin with PHW that is waiting for me under the tree. I have to admit that I have bought three SLG's after finding the Birkin, so either way, the addiction must be fed. I have been waiting all day for my latest little package to arrive.