What I dislike about LP.

tejava

O.G.
Jun 30, 2008
I like LP, I really do, the Samantha is one of the few mid range bags that I consider very well made even when compared to the premier designer handbags that I own.

However, there is one thing that I don't like about LP, which is the unfished edges on the Dylan line. I just got my purple Dylan Medium tote a while ago and I have been carrying it to work this week. Most of my outfits are black or grey so I haven't noticed the problem until I wear a beige jacket today. The unfished edges of the shoulder strap left tons of leather fibers on my jacket. I spent the entire morning trying to get rid of them using scotch tapes!!!

Seriously, is there a specific reason why LP chooses to make their handbags with unfished edges? At first I did not like it only because it looked untidy to me, but now it does not only look untidy, it messes up my clothes!

Totally agree with you here. My black hobo is about 1 year old now and the shedding has stopped but my new Dylan folding tote sheds and I don't know what to do about it besides wearing black and other dark colours until the fibres wear off. You would think they would at least finish the edges of the strap. :tdown:

First, the unfinished edging is a Dylan tradition. Cool and casual, honest and unpretentious.

Finished edges require an artificial coating that has an ugly propensity to crack.

If you love the Dylan designs, I can offer a little tip you can use when you get a new one. If you had asked me in the Care Thread, we may have avoided the negative tone of this topic.

Of my many LPs. none have 'shed fibers'. I imagine a heavily textured jacket and hard wear could cause friction at the contact points.

try this ! *** Use a fine emery board nail file to buff the rough edges of errant suede particles. It takes three minutes to go over all the strap edges !

I love my Samanthas for the perfection of design, but edging is not an issue with Lps. Ever.

Thanks, I will try that, hopefully it will stop the edges from shedding. The jacket I wore today is not heavily textured at all, so I really doubt it has caused friction at the contact points.

I don't mean to sound negative, but since this is a forum about LP, I chose to express freely what I like and dislike about their products. I was glad that you told me the unfinished edging is a Dylan tradition to create a casual look, at least I knew there was a purpose to it.

First, the unfinished edging is a Dylan tradition. Cool and casual, honest and unpretentious.

Finished edges require an artificial coating that has an ugly propensity to crack.

If you love the Dylan designs, I can offer a little tip you can use when you get a new one. If you had asked me in the Care Thread, we may have avoided the negative tone of this topic.

Of my many LPs. none have 'shed fibers'. I imagine a heavily textured jacket and hard wear could cause friction at the contact points.

try this ! *** Use a fine emery board nail file to buff the rough edges of errant suede particles. It takes three minutes to go over all the strap edges !

I love my Samanthas for the perfection of design, but edging is not an issue with Lps. Ever.

thanks for this! I don't own a Dylan yet but I'm seriously considering the shoulder bag in Olive and was a bit nervous after reading about shedding.

I also like the unfinished edges and mine have not shed much. I have a (old) distressed silver Zoe - it so slouchy and buttery when I sling it on my shoulder. I've thought of selling it from time to time because it's really heavy, but there's something about LP bags that are so different than any other designer. The unfinished edges add to the overall softness of the bag.

Good idea Stormy - Thanks!

That's interesting, I own probably most of the Dylan line and have never had them shed... hmmm anyways, I wanted to comment that those of you that are lucky enough to have a Samantha are well just that.. lucky!! I wish I had grabbed one a while back... darn it!

That's interesting, I own probably most of the Dylan line and have never had them shed... hmmm anyways, I wanted to comment that those of you that are lucky enough to have a Samantha are well just that.. lucky!! I wish I had grabbed one a while back... darn it!

:nuts: Samantha is a very well made bag, the leather is great, the workmanship is perfect. It can only be hand carried as the handle drop is really tight, and it is a very heavy bag, but despite all of the above, I just adore this bag. I hope you find one somewhere, it's so worth the price!