What happens when your HG turns out not so HG?

Nov 20, 2007
I bought my HG bag after months and months of lusting after it. I drooled over pictures of it, kept ebay on 24/7 just to see if it would pop up, asked around at AFF and constylement, etc. I was pretty much obsessing about this baby left, right and centre!

I finally had the funds and ability to buy it, and miraculously one popped up. I snatched it up as fast as my hot little hands could and it was delivered to me within the week.

But, as soon as I got it... I realized that yeah it was beautiful, but I didn't really (as stupid as this sounds) connect to it. It's been sitting in my closet since, and I haven't really wanted to use it, or thought about it other than to feel guilty that I spent that much money on something that I don't really care about.

It's still beautiful, I spent so much time lusting after it and trying to get it, that I also feel bad selling it. So I just don't know what to do with it now!

Has that ever happened to anyone else? When you get your HG and then you just turn around and start looking elsewhere? What did you do with it? I don't know if I should sell it (but the last time I sold my original HG, I felt so bad afterwards and I'm still trying to find another one to replace it...) Am I just a fickle bag girl?

yes, this happened to me too. It's been sitting in my closet for a few months and I just feel guilty about buying it, and about selling it. I feel like there is something wrong with me cause everyone else loves this bag and I just don't feel it. Plus ebay just scares me, so maybe I'll pull it out in the fall and try again to use it. oh well.

if selling it at the price you got it for is easy, i'd just sell it. i think it's takes more to acknowledge when it's not working out. it's really just a bag albiet a very beautiful bag. can you really afford to let it sit in the closet and not have used the money spent on something more important? do you then want to let it go?

Did you put your stuff in it and try it out? Is it just the look that's diappointing you or the functionality? If it doesn't feel, carry, function well, then looks won't make up for that IMHO. But if it can function for you, maybe you'll learn to love it. If you'd purchased it at a store with a good return policy, I'd say take it back but with Ebay...

I'm 100% in touch w/ this!! I drooled and drooled over a certain bag and finally got one and couldn't wait for her to arrive and when I got her...my thought was "Yes, she's gorgeous but ...so..."

Sad but true!

What bag was it? Sorry to hear it wasn't what you thought it would be. Maybe take her out for a spin. Sometimes if I take a bag out and use it the more I use it the more I like it.

I've long since learned that if I can't try a bag on, don't buy it! I've been more than disappointed thinking I wanted a certain bag and then when I found it and ordered it, I hated it when I got it! Being able to put it on physically and obsess over it helps me out in decision making!!!

I've long since learned that if I can't try a bag on, don't buy it! I've been more than disappointed thinking I wanted a certain bag and then when I found it and ordered it, I hated it when I got it! Being able to put it on physically and obsess over it helps me out in decision making!!!
Yes, I agree also! I am totally a hands-on person.

daphodil what was your HG? the emerald bal? In any case, I don't think you're a fickle girl! I've found that for me, the bags I'm most thrilled about are the ones I have lowest expectations for. But when an HG arrives, I tend to have the same reaction as you...oh...it's nice...but... I don't get as excited. I think the reason is that I want the HG sooo badly and the anticipation is so high, that the actual bag is a bit of a let down because the expectations were unrealistically high. Does that make sense? In any case, I have my current HG in my possession, and although it's lovely, I toy with the idea of selling her, and then tell myself I can't possibly!! So you're not the only one. :shame:

I don't think I have actually been dissapointed with any bag that I have purchased that I lusted for and wanted for a long time because, being a hands-on type of girl, I dance and prance and parade all over the store with my prospective new purchase until I initially bond with it. Then, when I get it home, I basically know what it's like in terms of weight and texture, and how the straps feel and lay, etc. All my purses live up to my expectations, I mean to say, so maybe I don't have a HG.....

Glad I'm not the only one!!

It was the bordeaux balenciaga day... i mean i still think it's a gorgeous bag but it just isn't as special as I originally thought it was.

I think it might have been because it was such a hassle for me to get it - i'd originally purchased one from someone who bailed out on selling it to me, and then had to do all these ebay disputes and paypal disputes, before finally getting one.

I *can* afford to keep it, but I don't know if i should, kwim? I know there are a bunch of girls out there looking for a bordy day and it's unfair to keep it if I'm not using it. but at the same time i can't bring myself to sell!