What Happens to Unsold Boutique Sale Stock?

ValleyO

O.G.
Mar 18, 2006
Now that Chanel boutiques seem to be going with a single markdown, I have a question: what happens to all the unsold stock?

This isn't really a problem for bags or shoes, but even as the last sale ended there seemed to be A LOT of RTW left. Without an outlet or a second cut to move inventory, I'm at a loss as to where they all go. A giant sale for Chanel employees? Burned in a giant bonfire?

Enquiring minds want to know :P

nguyenp

Mar 1, 2012
From what I know they first go to a 30% sale, then the second cut is 50%. After that they supposedly destroy what's left.

*my boutique usually has a seasonal sale that's 30% off. 50% off happens twice a year, one mid year and one boxing day. Unfortunately bags don't go for sale here so I can only speak for all the shoes, accessories and RTW.

ValleyO

O.G.
Mar 18, 2006
Though, how do you know that Chanel is going with a single markdown? Is the outlet closed? :confused1:

During the last boutique sale, nothing was marked down past 40%; in the past, they've taken a second cut before finally pulling items from the floor. There's no guarantee the second cut is gone for good, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The outlet in NY has been closed for a couple years now.

Nico_79

Jan 10, 2013
I've seen some past season RTW make it to the sales floor at 50% off, but beyond that I'm not sure. Really curious if they do destroy the merchandise, I believe LV does the same when they discontinue certain pieces. Seems quite wasteful imo.