What happens if I "Open a Case" and decide "I still want the item from the seller"???

brainstorm

Sep 7, 2012
I bought a purse and it has a watermark and cigarette smell that was not at all described in the listing. I contacted the seller twice and have no heard back about it. I'm seeking a partial refund so that I can invest that $ into getting the bag cleaned.

In the eBay "Open a Case" form there are options at the very end that asks "How Can Ebay Help You?" The options are 1. Full Refund 2. I still want the item from the seller and 3. Other.

I'm not sure which one to choose. I still want to keep the item, but I'd like a partial refund. Which option to choose? If I choose "I still want the item", will I not receive any kind of refund?

No response at all.

I just messaged her again, and was very explicit with what I want. This is my last ditch effort before I open a case. But if I do open a case, and I still want to keep the item, then what?

No response at all.

I just messaged her again, and was very explicit with what I want. This is my last ditch effort before I open a case. But if I do open a case, and I still want to keep the item, then what?

If she is offering a refund upon return, Ebay will never make her to offer partial. Partial refunds are not considered a good business practice. If she does not agree to a partial, you will have to wait for a week before you can escalate the case and at the end, Ebay will just tell you to send it back for a refund.

As a seller, I never issue partial refunds. If the item is good enough to keep, it is good enough to pay for. If the item is not as described, I will gladly accept a return.

You have to give your seller a chance to respond

24 -48 hours would be reasonable..

Why would you want to keep a bag with a watermark even with a partial..

The smell may go away but a watermark????

I would just send it back & look for another bag to be perfectly honest...

You have to give your seller a chance to respond

24 -48 hours would be reasonable..

Why would you want to keep a bag with a watermark even with a partial..

The smell may go away but a watermark????

I would just send it back & look for another bag to be perfectly honest...

Because I think the watermark can be fixed.

How many pictures were in the listing? Did she show the area where the watermark is?

There were about six photos, and the watermark was covered by a closure strap, but it's definitely there. And no mention at all of the odor.

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering whether the pictures showed the mark. Although it should have been disclosed, if you didn't notice it, that's on you.

If I were the seller, I would request the bag back, issue a refund and relist with the disclosure.

Although I'm not assuming or accusing you of doing it, a very common tactic among buyers is to "find" issues as a way to get a lower price via a partial refund for their purchase without having to return it.

One of the risks we assume when buying preowned items online is that in exchange for a better price than you'd pay at a B&M store, is that the item might not be perfect.

I'm assuming you considered it a bargain or you wouldn't have purchased. IMO, you need to decide whether you would rather return for a full refund or fix the watermark you say you think can be fixed.

pictures would be helpful to see how bad it looks. Or a link to the listing can be shown.

I bought a purse and it has a watermark and cigarette smell that was not at all described in the listing. I contacted the seller twice and have no heard back about it. I'm seeking a partial refund so that I can invest that $ into getting the bag cleaned.

In the eBay "Open a Case" form there are options at the very end that asks "How Can Ebay Help You?" The options are 1. Full Refund 2. I still want the item from the seller and 3. Other.

I'm not sure which one to choose. I still want to keep the item, but I'd like a partial refund. Which option to choose? If I choose "I still want the item", will I not receive any kind of refund?

The options look like ones that for "you haven't received an item". Are you sure you selected "an item doesn't match the seller's description"? I haven't opened any claim for ages but if you select "SNAD" as a reason of opening a claim, you should be given a "partial refund" option.

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering whether the pictures showed the mark. Although it should have been disclosed, if you didn't notice it, that's on you.

If I were the seller, I would request the bag back, issue a refund and relist with the disclosure.

Although I'm not assuming or accusing you of doing it, a very common tactic among buyers is to "find" issues as a way to get a lower price via a partial refund for their purchase without having to return it.

One of the risks we assume when buying preowned items online is that in exchange for a better price than you'd pay at a B&M store, is that the item might not be perfect.

I'm assuming you considered it a bargain or you wouldn't have purchased. IMO, you need to decide whether you would rather return for a full refund or fix the watermark you say you think can be fixed.

pictures would be helpful to see how bad it looks. Or a link to the listing can be shown.

And very often we have sellers who don't "disclose" smells which certainly
can be subjective, stains, pen marks, worn corners etc.

In this case the link would be helpful to see if the watermark can
be seen..

But if the watermark was indeed covered, the OP does have a valid
concern..

Whether the bag was at a good price or not, OP may have chosen not
to purchase it if she had seen (watermark) or it was disclosed in the description.

Again, its all about full disclosure by a seller, IMO....