What happens if I "Open a Case" and decide "I still want the item from the seller"???

love4mom

Aug 9, 2010
New Jersey
That's the main problem with partial refunds--dishonest/unrealistic buyers. I actually went in an edited out the part of my original comment which touched on how it gets abused and why some seller's frown upon partials because it eventually became a rant, but yes, you are correct. It's the buyers who fabricate problems or make a huge issue about the most insignificant little thing who ruin the practical function of a partial refund. Some time in 2011, I had a buyer send me a short note that she wanted a 25% partial refund on the item she bought due to "manufacturing defects" but she did not specify what the defects where. When I inquired, she responded: "The tags are worn on the edges and I like to keep the tags as they are part of the purchase." She was talking about the retail tags, not even the garment tags, but the paper retails tags that showed the price, bar code, etc., lol.
You are absolutely correct, the reason why sellers are not in favor of partial refunds is due to a potential abuse of the system by certain buyers. I have rarely offered/agreed to partial. Only if I knew there was a chance that I may have missed something. Also, I check what kind of feedback the buyer left for other sellers and if I saw a pattern of feedback indicating that the buyer had asked and gotten partials before, no partial here. I have gotten a negative feedback for not giving a partial too and I wear it proudly.
It is true that if you are at a store purchasing an item and it has make up stains, missing button, rip, mots of the time you are offered a 10% discount, but ask for it before you purchase it. It is not likely that if you order something online from a department store and discover that it has a flaw, the store will offer you a discount after the fact. They will tell you to take it back for a refund.

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
You are absolutely correct, the reason why sellers are not in favor of partial refunds is due to a potential abuse of the system by certain buyers. I have rarely offered/agreed to partial. Only if I knew there was a chance that I may have missed something. Also, I check what kind of feedback the buyer left for other sellers and if I saw a pattern of feedback indicating that the buyer had asked and gotten partials before, no partial here. I have gotten a negative feedback for not giving a partial too and I wear it proudly.
It is true that if you are at a store purchasing an item and it has make up stains, missing button, rip, mots of the time you are offered a 10% discount, but ask for it before you purchase it. It is not likely that if you order something online from a department store and discover that it has a flaw, the store will offer you a discount after the fact. They will tell you to take it back for a refund.
Absolutely agree and yes, checking FB is crucial as some people make it a habit to ask for partials. Also, I used the store discount as an example that an item can be worth a discounted value if it has a flaw, it doesn't have to be a take-it-at-full-price-or-leave-it-situation. I was not suggesting sellers should have policies like retailers. Good for you, sometimes taking a neg is better than giving in to the whims of a deceitful buyer.

tutushopper

❤️ Lambskin Lover ❤️
Apr 13, 2012
I've actually been at stores and found flaws on items, and they have not given a discount on them, so it isn't a given that this happens all the time. Sometimes they just take the item and then later put it back out (a long time ago I worked in a high end retail boutique, and they would do just this; it made me crazy, as I didn't think it was right, and I would pull them back off the floor when nobody was looking). Very high end stores such as Chanel won't discount a bag no matter how scratched or marked it is. So expecting to get discounts for things that happen in regular retail shops on ebay is in a way being more picky shopper than you would find in a bricks and mortar shop, the only difference being that you can see the item in person instead of photos (unless you order over the phone or online from these same stores). How often do we read in other threads for brand name items that they get something via phone or email order and it's faulty? They don't give discounts; if you want a refund, you have to take/send it back (depending on the store). If you order off many secondhand store sites, there is either no refund policy or a restocking fee or credit only. I don't know why ebay is seen to be expected to be more liberal than any retail location. Sorry for the ramble...it's late.

Apr 15, 2007
I think many buyers will test the waters with sellers to fish for a partial
or some discount & do agree that many make a habit of doing this..