What handbag brands are in decline?

missmoimoi

Dec 5, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've been away from tpf for a while and when I came back, I noticed that the list of Contemporary Designers has really dwindled. I can only name two that are gone but can't remember all of them: Botkier & Treesje. Am I right about that? Anyway, just wanted to discuss what you've all noticed. Mulberry & Coach have been in the news recently due to plummeting sales and stock prices. If I'm not mistaken, dare I say that Marc Jacobs has had his day? I truly hope I don't offend anybody, but his bags don't sell like they used to - or is this my imagination? The MbMJ bags wind up in heaps on sale at Holts. What else? Is it the economy? Just too many choices out there?

I get what you're saying...that being said, I think from what I've learned here on tpf is that everyone has his/her own taste and sense of style and the idea of "declining" doesn't really matter if you see what you like...make sense?
botkier is still on here, btw...
I love coach bags but I've heard the news lately...and I think that something else that contributes to the whole hype of what's in decline and what's not, is when a celebrity wears something and then EVERYONE (myself included sometimes) has to have it...
I also think that things go out and come around again so it will be interesting to see what happens...

CrackBerryCream

The Edge of Glory
Oct 26, 2012
Vienna, Austria
It doesn't really surprise me as that's the nature of fashion (accessories). Especially as a contemporary brand you have to launch hits constantly, otherwise you will disappear. I also think there is more choice and with the popularity of bloggers it-bags come and go by the day.

vintagefinds

Jan 9, 2012
I read that women are buying fewer bags now than just a few years back. It could be the economy, but it could also be bag fatigue. High end bags have been the it status symbol for the last decade, and after a while it becomes chic not to care about bags anymore. I have always loved bags, but I have to admit, it's a little exhausting. Prices constantly going up, quality going down, having to scout out and locate the next it bag... it can be refreshing to get out of the game. I also see women less interested in shoes than before, so who knows what the next great accessory will be. Scarves?

Zuhrah

♥ gelato addict ♥
O.G.
Jun 3, 2009
Another luxury brand that I think is on the brink of decline is Chloe. A few weeks ago, I saw a Marcie in my local Nordies Rack. I thought it was a one-time thing, like a refurb or something. Then I read in the NR thread that there are several sightings of Marcie in other NR stores. I think that's kind of a sign of things to come for Chloe.

anonserg

May 17, 2014
London
I think the early 2000s was the last very exciting time for handbags.
Perhaps TPF in itself is the best indicator to this. Forums of many other brand were very 'festive' but now everyone is mostly in Chanel, LV or Hermes forum.

Chloe Paddington, Marc Jacobs Stam, YSL Muse and Downtown, Fendi Spy - those were the days!

I think brand saturation is the main problem for brands like MJ and Coach. Marc has too many different line and especially the very fun & affordable 'special line' bags are vastly available and people associated these 2 qualities as the main identity of the brand, making it hard to push the main line bags.

Coach has a separate collection for its outlet stores and this also led to saturation of the brand up to a point people buying bags from the outlets feel just as exclusive as buying in the main stores. Good thing is that both brands are restructuring and turning around so we'll see how this turn out.

As songofthesea mentioned, things go out and come around again which indeed is true. Let's not forget new brands like Victoria Beckham and Mansur Gavriel that is starting to grab attention of the market. As market evolves and demand changes, these brands need to adapt or else they fail.

missmoimoi

Dec 5, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Another luxury brand that I think is on the brink of decline is Chloe. A few weeks ago, I saw a Marcie in my local Nordies Rack. I thought it was a one-time thing, like a refurb or something. Then I read in the NR thread that there are several sightings of Marcie in other NR stores. I think that's kind of a sign of things to come for Chloe.
Yes - I noticed this too because prices were slashed on some Chloe bags and that was the case at Holts and the big US dept stores - a sure sign they can't get rid of them.

missmoimoi

Dec 5, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I get what you're saying...that being said, I think from what I've learned here on tpf is that everyone has his/her own taste and sense of style and the idea of "declining" doesn't really matter if you see what you like...make sense?
I love coach bags but I've heard the news lately...and I think that something else that contributes to the whole hype of what's in decline and what's not, is when a celebrity wears something and then EVERYONE (myself included sometimes) has to have it...
I also think that things go out and come around again so it will be interesting to see what happens...
Botkier? Ok, I must be blind. Linea Pelle...was there a LP thread and now it's gone?

missmoimoi

Dec 5, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Whoops - I took a look - no Botkier :sad:

Mariapia

Feb 21, 2012
France
I think there are so many brands coming up with supposedly new "it" bags that the consumer starts hesitating
" Shall I buy the blue one from X or the black Z.....
Well let's have a look at the price...Expensive for what it is....
Oh my God, luckyly I have not bought the X because now there is this gorgeous bag from C.....New brand, nice too....
And the D, isn't it stunning too?"
It could go on and on.
With the Internet we have access to everything, we can compare models, prices , colours, zoom on leathers and in the end we turn off the computer, still wondering, counting our money.....until the next morning when the whole thing starts again.....

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
Sorry - I see where all these other threads are now. They've been minimized listed down below.
I thought maybe the mods did that because there was little/no traffic in them but they didn't want to take them off completely?

I used to love LAMB and haven't seen any for sale in years (used to get mine at Holt Renfrew).

I haven't been buying as many bags recently, I have several contemporary brands plus an LV and feel like I have 'enough' since they are all still in good condition.

I did buy a MK aqua tote this year because all my bags were black or brown and I wanted something colourful for summer, but before that I think it's been at least a year and a half or two years since I bought one.

Jul 21, 2006
Southwest Florida
I still love Kooba. I think, personally, they have come back from inferiority in workmanship. Others that used to love the old Koobas probably will notice the difference, too. But having the Kooba Subforum way down there in the cellar is contributing to its demise, I have no doubt. That minimizing thread with all those brands lumped in there has been there for at least 3 or 4 months that I know of and some of you are just noticing. The mods just might as well take all of them off the board.

aquafina

O.G.
Jan 23, 2009
i read that women are buying fewer bags now than just a few years back. It could be the economy, but it could also be bag fatigue. High end bags have been the it status symbol for the last decade, and after a while it becomes chic not to care about bags anymore. I have always loved bags, but i have to admit, it's a little exhausting. Prices constantly going up, quality going down, having to scout out and locate the next it bag... It can be refreshing to get out of the game. I also see women less interested in shoes than before, so who knows what the next great accessory will be. Scarves?
+1