What fits inside the Devote/Nikki/MAB/MAM/Matinee? And which bag is the best?

Mar 24, 2008
OK, so here it is. There was some talk in this thread, http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-minkoff/devote-vs-nikki-devote-owners-opinions-422197.html about what you can fit in the Devote vs. the Nikki and other bags. So, since I have no life and no real hobbies, I decided to take a bunch of pics to show what I carry - which I believe to be what the average woman carries - and how it fits in each bag. I will include some notes along the way, and a brief assessment at the end. I have several pics that I am working on getting up, so give me a few minutes!

Hope this can help some of you ladies out there!!

***FYI: There are no modeling pics in this thread since I can NEVER take a good one. The only model that will be shown on my part is of my lovely and cooperative doorknob.

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC PICTURE REQUESTS(besides modeling!), LET ME KNOW AND IF I CAN, I WILL! :heart:

This is what I typically carry.

1BagContents.jpg

For reference:
A fairly large magazine (Vanity Fair)
A largeish book, right now its One Year To An Organized Life (this is MY year people!)
Large wallet
Ipod w/ headphones
Blackberry Bold
Keys
Camera case (I'm using the camera)
Erin (I think) case packed with makeup and whatnot
Cory case packed with fun things like pills, little mirror, lozenges

I also usually carry a small to medium sized water bottle. I didn't have one right now though.

Oh thanks! I still have only ever seen Nikkis and MABs in person. I know the MAB was somewhat large for me but I would love to see what would really fit in both.

Devote and Nikki with all the things I carry. Everything is in there.
Devote
1DevoteContents.jpg

Nikki
1nikkicontents.jpg

Hanging Devote
1hangingdevote.jpg

Hanging Nikki
1hangingnikki.jpg

NOTE: I am showing the hanging shots to illustrate that there are no weird bulges or anything. The bags are full and heavy!

MAB, MAM and Matinee with everything in them.
MAB
1MABContents.jpg

MAM
1MAMContents.jpg

Matinee
1MatineeContents.jpg

Hanging MAB
1hangingMAB.jpg

Hanging MAM
1hangingmam.jpg

Hanging Matinee
1hangingmatinee.jpg

Remember, the hanging bags all have my junk in them. They are heavy, but maintain their shape for the most part.

Here are my opinions:

The Devote is the EASIEST to get in and out of and find your stuff with minimal rummaging. It feels the lightest, maybe because it distributes weight better and the shoulder strap is so comfortable. If the MAB and the Nikki had a baby, it would be the Devote. Perfection!

The Matinee is the MOST DIFFICULT to get in and out of. It is very hard to find your stuff. The opening is the SMALLEST of any of the bags, this accounts for like 99% of the difficulty. But its such a gorgeous bag that you deal with the shortcomings.

The MAB and MAM fit everything so nicely. The openings make it relatively easy to find what you need. When full, the MAM feels the heaviest to me. I think it may be because I don't wear this bag on my shoulder.

The Nikki is OK. Its more difficult to find what you need, there is a lot of rummaging going on. The opening on the bag is great, its just so deep that everything gets jumbled at the bottom. It makes up for this by being so damed good looking and comfortable to wear.

I don't own a mini Nikki, nor would I probably ever own a mini Devote. The regular sized ones are perfect, IMO. I would rather have more room then less, if that makes sense. As I am anywhere from 5'6-5'10 (depending on the shoes ;)) I never feel overwhelmed by any of the full-sized bags. If I were a wee little thing, then maybe I would go for the mini Nikki or mini Devote.

Hope that helped some people out there! :yes:

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this!

I'm kinda surprised that the Matinee looks semi-stuffed and duffel-y when all your things are in there. Is it just the angle of your pic, or did it seem that way IRL too? Also, in your pic, it looks like everything was put into the main compartment, with nothing in the external pockets, right?

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this!

I'm kinda surprised that the Matinee looks semi-stuffed and duffel-y when all your things are in there. Is it just the angle of your pic, or did it seem that way IRL too? Also, in your pic, it looks like everything was put into the main compartment, with nothing in the external pockets, right?

Ahhh, allow me to clarify.

With the matinee I keep my BB and my keys in the exterior end pockets. I don't feel that the bag is all that duffely, if may be the angle. It is for sure full and I probably would not carry the book in it.

Ahhh, allow me to clarify.

With the matinee I keep my BB and my keys in the exterior end pockets. I don't feel that the bag is all that duffely, if may be the angle. It is for sure full and I probably would not carry the book in it.

Ah, okay, I see... Again, thank you so much for doing this! It's definitely very helpful to an RM newbie like me who's still trying to find her first RM! :biggrin:

So are handles a different size on the mam and mab? Is that why u don't wear the mam on your shoulder?

The handles do seem longer on the MAB. I just pulled out the MAB and the MAM to compare but the handles look the same size. I have no idea, but I always wear my MAB on the shoulder and the MAM in the elbow crook or in my hand. The MAM just does not stay on my shoulder.