What Fashion "Rules" Do You Obey ?

Alot of mine have previously been said by others, i.e. no panty lines, no holiday themed clothing, no jarring color combos (i.e. yellow and black), nothing tight, if something is showing, something is covered. The ones that I have which are more personal are:

1. I only wear lined pants to work,
2. I always wear pantyhose w/skirts to work no matter how hot it is,
3. I never wear anything that would show any cleavage, even if I'm slightly bent over,
4. I don't wear open-toed shoes to work,
5. I usually wear suit jacket over my outfit, even though we're business casual,
6. No super bright colors, unless its a shirt under a black or dark colored suit.

The reason I have these rules is that alot of women dress a little too sexy IMO for work if they work in a business casual setting. The thing is if you do you're talked about, i.e. the day a fellow attorney wore a black bra with a white shirt, um hello!?

1. Don't mix patterns (sorry, this is my only holdover from my mother's 60's fashion rules, and the one I cannot break)
2. No bra straps showing
3. No flip flops except at the pool
4. Don't overmatch.
5. Accessories should have same "dressiness" level (i.e. don't wear cowboy boots with a black patent frame bag).
6. When in doubt, go with what's simpler.
7. No clothes that are too small or overly tight. Looks tacky, IMO.

winternight said:
The reason I have these rules is that alot of women dress a little too sexy IMO for work if they work in a business casual setting. The thing is if you do you're talked about, i.e. the day a fellow attorney wore a black bra with a white shirt, um hello!?

I agree with this. I actually had to explain to one of my staff that a tight tank top with the word "BOOTYLISCIOUS" across the chest was not appropriate office wear...

I love Sex and the City but I think it's skewed some young women's ideas of what's appropriate for the office.

One more rule I try to follow: Less is more.

No, that doesn't mean wear less clothing! :amuse: It means don't wear a necklace AND earrings AND a brooch AND a bracelet AND a bling-y bag. Or multiple items in animal print. :P

No black and brown or pink and red!!!
Do not wear nylons with open toed shoes even if they say sandal foot!
Don't wear shoes you can't walk in
And if you can't wear the low rise pants without a big bulge of fat hanging out of your sides, than guess what....DON"T WEAR IT!!!! (Even a little bulge of fat)

Ok maybe those are my pet peeves but I follow them too!

No double denim - denim bottom or denim top is OK, but not both at once
Linen during summer but not any any other time of year (in England)
Black and brown are OK now, even black and navy
No bare midriffs at work - never!

Kat said:
No mini skirts over 35
Hey,... I resent that! I have a hot azz and great legs for minnies. My husband would hate me if I were to give up the minnies.

The only rule I follow is no scrunchies out in public, unless I'm at the supermarket. Everything else goes, even white shoes on, after, and before memorial day! :roflmfao:

Baggaholic said:
Hey,... I resent that! I have a hot azz and great legs for minnies. My husband would hate me if I were to give up the minnies. :lol:

The only rule I follow is no scrunchies out in public, unless I'm at the supermarket. Everything else goes, even white shoes on, after, and before memorial day! :roflmfao:

If You have great gams, go for it ! :graucho:

no underwear lines
no pantyhose with sandals
no skintight clothes
no butt cleavage
no bra straps showing
no shorts in winter (i go to a university where the kids wear shorts year round...it's Indiana! it's cold!!!)
pants hemmed to appropriate length

Those are the ones I always follow :smile: