What Fashion "Rules" Do You Obey ?

I hate the contrived, designer head to toe look. If I am wearing a fab designer top, I always dress it down with a pair of jeans or casual trousers, same if I am wearing my Chloe trousers, I like to wear something less dressy with them like a casual t shirt. I also do not like to match my shoes to my bag, I just think it looks like you are trying too hard :smile:
My fashion opinion (not rule) is that if your accessories and shoes are good quality, you can afford to spend less on the outfit.

It's gotta be comfortable.

It's gotta be flattering.

It's gotta fit perfectly.

Black, brown, grey,khaki, ivory, denim occasionally a bit of cinnabar or sienna red. No other colors! No prints, no labels (I make an exception for LV), no frills.

I read a rule in Equire many years ago and it is still a guiding principle: "If it's a choice between what you need and what look's good, buy what looks good cause what looks good is what you need."

My fashion rules:

Hmm....well, I think I need to re-examine them cause I've read in 3 different threads now about jean shorts being over....I never heard of this? What's wrong w/ jean shorts? Other than that I guess I try to match and not wear white in the winter, that's pretty much it.

There are rules?! (just kidding:nuts:)

I wear what fits and flatters my figure, and is COMFORTABLE!!! If I find something I like, I tend to buy it in every color (the colors that look good on me, anyway). I like mostly solid colors.

And jewelry always!

LV_addict said:
I ONLY wear what looks good/suits ME! I don't care if something is in style: if it doesn't look good on me, I wouldn't wear it!:nuts:

I agree with LV ADDICT 100 %. I would never wear something that doesn't look good just because it is IN. I am all for trendy but YOU SHOULD WEAR THE CLOTHES, THE CLOTHES SHOULDN'T WEAR YOU.

1) I don't wear white/ivory/cream to weddings
2) I don't wear reinforced toe nylons with open-toed shoes/sandals
3) I try to avoid the VPL (visible panty line)
4) I don't wear horizontal stripes in black and white since I don't want to look like I just escaped from prison
5) I'm careful with color combos like black & orange (Halloween) black & yellow (bumblebee), head-to-toe purple (Barney the Dinosaur), and head-to-toe green (Jolly Green Giant, but in my case, Jolly Green Dwarf)

Definitely no socks with sandals. And I will not wear anything resembling white to a wedding, and I try to stay away from jeans that display my postbaby muffin tops.