What factors help you decide to purchase / or not from a seller a

1. Pictures - are there many pictures? Are they clear or do they look like they're trying to 'hide' something? For example, and i'm not a paddington expert or anything, but the keyhole has to face a certain way. If you find that the pictures seem to be intentionally blocking the keyhole, i'd say they're trying to hide something. Also, do a bit of research on the item, go on the Authenticate this forums and see what are the critical authenticating parts of the item. Scammers will try to photograph away from these areas. Some scamming auctions also use stolen pictures - so always ask for more pictures (more than one), especially from obscure angles in case they are using stolen pictures. Stay away from auctions with stock photos - the ones used on bluefly or NM for example.

2. Communication - email them, see if they reply in a rational, helpful and prompt manner. Usually the very communicative ones who go out of the way to send photos and help you in anyway are not scammers.

3. I've found that country of origin or how well the auction is written in terms of English has no bearing on the item's authenticity or the seller's. Some people with horrible English have sold beautiful items, and some people with great English are scammers. Country of origin is definitely something people would ask you to look out for, for example some people wouldn't buy from China, but having lived in China for a month once and selling on ebay I can tell you that I was a legitimate seller. It comes down to the pictures and the seller's attitude.

4. Feedback - always go through toolhaus.org to read their negatives. Under 10 feedbacks I wouldn't buy unless they've gone out of their way to help me, and it also depends on what they've sold before.

I still think the best way to see if someone will be scamming you or not is to ask for lots of photos because:

a) You'll find out if they have the bag.
b) You'll know their attitude towards helping you out.
c) You'll know they actually have the bag to give to you (ie not using stolen pictures).

(Those picture tips were given to me from a friend and she saved me from buying a fake bag off the internet.)

Even with that though, it comes down to a gut feeling. If the person just seems untrustworthy, don't bid. Always do your homework beforehand.

Oops I just realised I didn't answer your question which was how do you tell in the auction? The truth is, you can't tell. Some people are so sweet in their wording and then bam! No bag, no money. You really have to dig around for more info about the seller and their attitude for those high priced items.

There are more scammers as buyers than there are sellers believe it or not! I would buy from a seller if she accepts Paypal primarily. If it is a high value item I would have a word with >5 past customers just to be sure item is original, and originated from the same location as mentioned in auction.

One of my big red flags is if the seller only takes money orders. I won't do business with sellers who only accept money orders because if something goes wrong with the transaction I'm pretty much out of luck trying to get my money back.

For me, it's pictures, seller's feedback, and whether Paypal is accepted. If the seller only accepts non-Paypal payments, I'll go through the feedback very carefully, and I'll still do a bank wire if it's a trusted seller. I'll also take a look at what other items the seller is selling. And last but not least, instinct or gut feel. Once in a rare while, something would just feel not right, and I'll not bid as it's better to be safe than sorry.

One more thing, if a seller is selling multiple quantities of the same item, beware if they're luxury items like handbags. Check their previous sales to see if they've sold more of the same exact item. If so, you may be dealing with someone who is selling counterfeits.

1. Pictures - are there many pictures? Are they clear or do they look like they're trying to 'hide' something? For example, and i'm not a paddington expert or anything, but the keyhole has to face a certain way. If you find that the pictures seem to be intentionally blocking the keyhole, i'd say they're trying to hide something. Also, do a bit of research on the item, go on the Authenticate this forums and see what are the critical authenticating parts of the item. Scammers will try to photograph away from these areas. Some scamming auctions also use stolen pictures - so always ask for more pictures (more than one), especially from obscure angles in case they are using stolen pictures. Stay away from auctions with stock photos - the ones used on bluefly or NM for example.

2. Communication - email them, see if they reply in a rational, helpful and prompt manner. Usually the very communicative ones who go out of the way to send photos and help you in anyway are not scammers.

3. I've found that country of origin or how well the auction is written in terms of English has no bearing on the item's authenticity or the seller's. Some people with horrible English have sold beautiful items, and some people with great English are scammers. Country of origin is definitely something people would ask you to look out for, for example some people wouldn't buy from China, but having lived in China for a month once and selling on ebay I can tell you that I was a legitimate seller. It comes down to the pictures and the seller's attitude.

4. Feedback - always go through toolhaus.org to read their negatives. Under 10 feedbacks I wouldn't buy unless they've gone out of their way to help me, and it also depends on what they've sold before.

I still think the best way to see if someone will be scamming you or not is to ask for lots of photos because:

a) You'll find out if they have the bag.
b) You'll know their attitude towards helping you out.
c) You'll know they actually have the bag to give to you (ie not using stolen pictures).

(Those picture tips were given to me from a friend and she saved me from buying a fake bag off the internet.)

Even with that though, it comes down to a gut feeling. If the person just seems untrustworthy, don't bid. Always do your homework beforehand.

Oops I just realised I didn't answer your question which was how do you tell in the auction? The truth is, you can't tell. Some people are so sweet in their wording and then bam! No bag, no money. You really have to dig around for more info about the seller and their attitude for those high priced items.

Wow, that's one of the best posts I've seen on this subjects--ever. :tup::yes:

I am a seller and a buyer as well. I am constantly buying on eBay, always on the lookout for a good deal on authentic stuff. Anyway I most def do not buy from sellers posting direct threats on a listing... like saying stuff about negging you for this or that, that attitude really turns me off. Other than that --- any display of an item that appears to be on a bed (no matter how well it is made, LOL) or on a floor, that stuff turns me off. But if it is something I have to have and cannot find anywhere, I might be willing to overlook that. Ok, so sometimes sellers model stuff and that may or may not turn me off. For instance, if the model looks like she/he can actually pull off the garment I may be ok, but some people insist on getting into a size 4 when they clearly look like they are NOT a size 4 and the clothing appears streched, too tight, with bulging areas, etc. Ugh that is a turn off to me.

Hehe aww shucks... thanks guys :sweatdrop:.

One more thing, if a seller is selling multiple quantities of the same item, beware if they're luxury items like handbags. Check their previous sales to see if they've sold more of the same exact item. If so, you may be dealing with someone who is selling counterfeits.

That is a good point... but by same item it would mean the exact same, like style, pictures, auction, everything. Same brand might not mean they're a scammer because some people sell luxury handbags on ebay for a living.