what exactly is the protocol at hermes?

I think a sincere interest in the products goes a long way. In my experience, you don't need to buy tons of other stuff to get a birkin.
YES!

So it helps to be knowledgable about their products before going into the store. This really scores points with the SAs. They don't seem to mind if you know more than they do, as long as you don't belittle them for it.

So, I am guessing these "protocols" vary based on the store. I do not own a birkin yet, however, I am interested. Last week, I contacted the Hermes boutique in my city and talked for a good 20 minutes via the phone with the store manager and set an appointment with her to come in. She was very helpful and even told me when new bags would arrive and what to do if I wanted to just come and buy a bag I like if someone else does not claim it, etc. I originally thought this would be daunting, too. I did not know that some stores will not allow you to buy the bags.

This is seriously disheartening. I don't understand the reason why salespeople should act as gatekeepers for a product. I assume this occurs because of availability issues.

Anyhow, if there has to be a reason that I 'need to score points with a SA' before I get what I like, I'd rather go with another brand.

^ it's not about scoring points at all. The real issue is that these bags are rare and produced at such limited numbers that Hermes usually chooses to reserve first crack at them for their loyal, regular customers. You don't have to spend a lot of money at H to become a loyal customer.

^ it's not about scoring points at all. The real issue is that these bags are rare and produced at such limited numbers that Hermes usually chooses to reserve first crack at them for their loyal, regular customers. You don't have to spend a lot of money at H to become a loyal customer.

I understand it's a sort of double-edged issue...what is one to do if one spends lots of time being friendly with one SA and they leave, taking all the memories of your 'loyalty' with them?

Maybe a better way to figure out who deserves a Hermes is to keep an open worldwide list which includes the number of times one visits the stores (worldwide!), the number of hours one spends at the store, the amount of money one spends at a store, and maybe have a mathematical function like

*Bag Function Index = (number of times one visits the store X number of hours one spends at the store + amount of money one spends at the store)

*Additional credit can be given as small fractional amounts for knowing colors and leathers, and the history of Hermes.

*Asking stupid questions like "do you have any bags in the back" results in loss of one point

People can then have their own Bag Function Index (like a credit rating) and the number of limited production bags allowed depends on your Bag Function Index.

Say BFI <1000 =NO Birkins...and so on.

Protocal actually seems to apply at any store where there is a "hot" or "in demand" item...possible wait list...if you are a regular customer you might get information in advance of distribution...SAs enjoy working with regular/engaging clients...etc.